Does this look suspect?

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Jerry LeVan

Does this look suspect?

Post by Jerry LeVan »

Hi,
I offered my Morini 162EI for sale here and at Brad Troyer's classified ads. Today I received an email that just feels a bit off...
----------------
Thanks for the mail, how are you doing today and your family? i reall appreciated the information about the left handed medium grip Morini 162EI and it picture. i am highly intrested in buiyng the left handed medium grip Morini 162EI, i will like to know the price you are willling thge left handed medium grip Morini 162EI. i mean your list you which to let go of theleft handed medium grip Morini 162EI, i don't want you to worry about the shipping of the left handed medium grip Morini 162EI. i will take very care on how the left handed medium grip Morini 162EI will get to me here in italy.
have a nice day, god be with you and your family.
Best Regard
Sherry
Jerry LeVan <jerry.levan@eku.edu> wrote:
Hi, sherry enclosed is a picture of the air pistol. It comes complete
with all of the standard Morini accessories ( Carrying case, Manual,
Fill adaptor, Extra cylinder, and tools). In addition there is a Morini
underbarrel weight rod with weights and an extended reach trigger.
How did you find out about the sale?
==Jerry
> ATTACHMENT part 2 image/jpeg x-mac-type=4A504547; x-unix-mode=0755; name=MoriniFS.jpg
On Nov 18, 2003, at 1:44 PM, sherry badmus wrote:
> Hello ,
> I am highly intrested in buying (left handed medium grip Morini 162EI)
> also i am very pleased with it.i am a internation dealer that buys
> around the world ,i will like you to pls send adequate information
> concerning the(left handed medium grip Morini 162EI) and the pics when
> mailing back and paymentwill be in cashier check.I will take care of
> the shipping to my place..looking forward to your prompt reply
> Best Regard
>

jerry.levan-at-eku.edu.45860.0
Mark

Re: Does this look suspect?

Post by Mark »

Sounds like the English is a little off, and maybe a bit friendly, but nothing appears wrong.
: Hi,
: I offered my Morini 162EI for sale here and at Brad Troyer's classified ads. Today I received an email that just feels a bit off...
: ----------------
: Thanks for the mail, how are you doing today and your family? i reall appreciated the information about the left handed medium grip Morini 162EI and it picture. i am highly intrested in buiyng the left handed medium grip Morini 162EI, i will like to know the price you are willling thge left handed medium grip Morini 162EI. i mean your list you which to let go of theleft handed medium grip Morini 162EI, i don't want you to worry about the shipping of the left handed medium grip Morini 162EI. i will take very care on how the left handed medium grip Morini 162EI will get to me here in italy.
: have a nice day, god be with you and your family.
: Best Regard
: Sherry
: Jerry LeVan <jerry.levan@eku.edu> wrote:
: Hi, sherry enclosed is a picture of the air pistol. It comes complete
: with all of the standard Morini accessories ( Carrying case, Manual,
: Fill adaptor, Extra cylinder, and tools). In addition there is a Morini
: underbarrel weight rod with weights and an extended reach trigger.
: How did you find out about the sale?
: ==Jerry
: > ATTACHMENT part 2 image/jpeg x-mac-type=4A504547; x-unix-mode=0755; name=MoriniFS.jpg
: On Nov 18, 2003, at 1:44 PM, sherry badmus wrote:
: > Hello ,
: > I am highly intrested in buying (left handed medium grip Morini 162EI)
: > also i am very pleased with it.i am a internation dealer that buys
: > around the world ,i will like you to pls send adequate information
: > concerning the(left handed medium grip Morini 162EI) and the pics when
: > mailing back and paymentwill be in cashier check.I will take care of
: > the shipping to my place..looking forward to your prompt reply
: > Best Regard
: >

TomF

Post by TomF »

If you are not breaking any US laws, and the money is in hand, and you have a reliable source of delivery, go ahead.
I have found from dealing on ebay that the folks from foreign countries are more reliable than the US folks. Just remember to have the cash in hand first and make sure you can track your delivery or that the buyer understands you are not responsible if you cannot track. Just keep a shipping receipt. Some countries have better delivery systems than others.

: Sounds like the English is a little off, and maybe a bit friendly, but nothing appears wrong.
: : Hi,
: : I offered my Morini 162EI for sale here and at Brad Troyer's classified ads. Today I received an email that just feels a bit off...
: : ----------------
: : Thanks for the mail, how are you doing today and your family? i reall appreciated the information about the left handed medium grip Morini 162EI and it picture. i am highly intrested in buiyng the left handed medium grip Morini 162EI, i will like to know the price you are willling thge left handed medium grip Morini 162EI. i mean your list you which to let go of theleft handed medium grip Morini 162EI, i don't want you to worry about the shipping of the left handed medium grip Morini 162EI. i will take very care on how the left handed medium grip Morini 162EI will get to me here in italy.
: : have a nice day, god be with you and your family.
: : Best Regard
: : Sherry
: : Jerry LeVan <jerry.levan@eku.edu> wrote:
: : Hi, sherry enclosed is a picture of the air pistol. It comes complete
: : with all of the standard Morini accessories ( Carrying case, Manual,
: : Fill adaptor, Extra cylinder, and tools). In addition there is a Morini
: : underbarrel weight rod with weights and an extended reach trigger.
: : How did you find out about the sale?
: : ==Jerry
: : > ATTACHMENT part 2 image/jpeg x-mac-type=4A504547; x-unix-mode=0755; name=MoriniFS.jpg
: : On Nov 18, 2003, at 1:44 PM, sherry badmus wrote:
: : > Hello ,
: : > I am highly intrested in buying (left handed medium grip Morini 162EI)
: : > also i am very pleased with it.i am a internation dealer that buys
: : > around the world ,i will like you to pls send adequate information
: : > concerning the(left handed medium grip Morini 162EI) and the pics when
: : > mailing back and paymentwill be in cashier check.I will take care of
: : > the shipping to my place..looking forward to your prompt reply
: : > Best Regard
: : >

shootingsports-at-ev1.net.45865.45864
Brian

Post by Brian »

Don't ship anything till the check clears!
: I offered my Morini 162EI for sale here and at Brad Troyer's classified ads. Today I received an email that just feels a bit off...
: Thanks for the mail, how are you doing today and your family? i reall appreciated the information about the left handed medium grip Morini 162EI and it picture. i am highly intrested in buiyng the left handed medium grip Morini 162EI, i will like to know the price you are willling thge left handed medium grip Morini 162EI. i mean your list you which to let go of theleft handed medium grip Morini 162EI, i don't want you to worry about the shipping of the left handed medium grip Morini 162EI. i will take very care on how the left handed medium grip Morini 162EI will get to me here in italy.
: > ATTACHMENT part 2 image/jpeg x-mac-type=4A504547; x-unix-mode=0755; name=MoriniFS.jpg

Roland Cannon

Is it really a left hand grip morini 162???

Post by Roland Cannon »

Sorry, I could not resist. If the guy mentions anything about "band camp" , run like hell!
DDR

Post by DDR »

Jerry,
Go with your gut. Recently I received an english challenged response for an air rifle I listed on Brad's site. It was a friendly message like yours and I responded. No questions about the gun or a request for pics- they just wanted to close the deal. Next step was arranging payment. The individual wanted the rifle ASAP and wanted to make things easy for me so he(she?) offered to wire transfer the money to my account. All he needed was my account info. A big red flag went up for me. The info that he was requesting would allow someone to either complete a wire transfer or clean out my account and assume my identity.
I declined the wire transfer offer and asked for
a USPS money order. I never heard from anyone after that. It is my rule of thumb that if I can't talk to the person I'm dealing with, no deal. DDR
Claudio

Post by Claudio »

They just used translating software from Italian to English.
You should have sent your reply translated into Italian and they would have thought the same thing :)
Of course you must always get payment no matter where it is from.
incrocci-at-shaw.ca.45880.45860
Richard

Post by Richard »

Warning: After offering various things for sale here and on other boards, I have been contacted by foreign individuals wanting my item at the opening price with no questions asked.
The ones I've experienced usually: 1) want to send you a check for $5000 and you send the gun and the change, 2) want your account number for direct wire deposit, 3) other various schemes which play to your greed.
These are scams and should be avoided at all costs. Especially anything that requires your bank account number. They will monitor your account until you get a big deposit and drain the entire account.
These are off-shore electronic bandits and you will have no legal recourse. Some of them even have 800 numbers to make them sound "local". If it sounds fishy or too-good-to-be-true, then it is.
Reputable dealers will have no trouble sending you a cashiers check in US dollars in advance of shipment. Remember there is no way for your bank to test a check other than to deposit it and wait.
Mark

Post by Mark »

To my knowledge, there is no way anyone can drain your account by simply knowing your bank account number. Such information is commonly used in electronic funds transfers and obtaining letters of credit. The only way someone could withdraw from your account is if you specifically authorize them to. If some of you are claiming that someone was able to withdraw from your account based solely on knowing your account number, you need to talk to an attorney right NOW; the BANK has made an unauthorized transfer and should be liable for the amount of the transfer and probably any resulting damages you may have suffered due to the unauthorized transfer!
DISCLAIMER: Not legal advice, for entertainment purposes only, etc. Contact a competent attorney licensed to practice in your state.

HBP

Post by HBP »

I agree, one cannot withdraw monies from a current account without the express permission of the accountholder (which involves the signing of official bank forms, signatures, etc).
If anyone does manage this (without the necessary authorisation) then you need to ask questions of your bank, or question whether the withdrawals are an inside job.
Jerry LeVan

Aha, the shoe drops...

Post by Jerry LeVan »

Got this in my morning mail:
Thanks for the mail.i will make you an offer of $1,000 and infact i will make perfect arrangement for the shippment and while i will handle the shippment effectively.my client in the state will issue you the check of $4,500  and while you are to remove the cost of $1,000 from it and get the excess transfred to the Personal assistances that will be handling the consignment.i will be going for and exhibition program and while i want to finish up these transaction before the trip.i will; need your full name and address with valid telephone number, so that payment can get to you asap..i will be looking forward to your reply..

BEST REGARDS....
 Sherry
Scam City!
--Jerry
jerry.levan-at-eku.edu.45895.45860
JT

Re: Aha, the shoe drops...

Post by JT »

Drop it like a hot rock!
LMFAO!
: Got this in my morning mail:
: Thanks for the mail.i will make you an offer of $1,000 and infact i will make perfect arrangement for the shippment and while i will handle the shippment effectively.my client in the state will issue you the check of $4,500  and while you are to remove the cost of $1,000 from it and get the excess transfred to the Personal assistances that will be handling the consignment.i will be going for and exhibition program and while i want to finish up these transaction before the trip.i will; need your full name and address with valid telephone number, so that payment can get to you asap..i will be looking forward to your reply..
:  
: BEST REGARDS....
:  Sherry
: ******************
: Scam City!
: *******************
: --Jerry

vasiliy

Contact your local Secret Service office

Post by vasiliy »

Strange as it sounds, it is the SS not the FBI who pursue these cases. They will be happy to take the information and do what they can. You may find it hard to find their phone # - they are the SECRET Service (sorry)
TJ

Re: Contact your local Secret Service office

Post by TJ »

Yep, they are real hard to find. Contact info is everywhere. Even your local phone book.
www.secretservice.gov
Not sure why they would be involved. They are the law enforcement arm of the US Treasury Department but I dont see the fit. You would probably get more attention from the Office of the US Attorney General in the DOJ. I doubt that you would even get an eyebrow raised either place since there has been no crime committed. Only a solicitation to sell and an offer to buy.
However they might be interested in you selling guns overseas. LOL! OOPS! Lets not go there...

: Strange as it sounds, it is the SS not the FBI who pursue these cases. They will be happy to take the information and do what they can. You may find it hard to find their phone # - they are the SECRET Service (sorry)

shootingsports-at-ev1.net.45910.45900
vasiliy

clarification

Post by vasiliy »

Just because you don't see the fit.... I received several solicitations to be fleeced by the "Nigerian scam." The local FBI office directed me to the Secret Service. They are charged with protecting the integrity of the country's money, so I guess that is the connection. If you ask me it looks an awful lot like bank fraud / money laundering.
Cricman

Also try BICE,...

Post by Cricman »

I would also contact BICE, (Bureau of Immigration and Customs Enforcement- the newly formed conglomerate of INS and Customs agents) The legacy Customs agents have a fraud group that deals with these kinds of matters. Although the letter indicates the buyer is Italian, I would bet a fair amount that it is a Nigerian scam, perhaps based in Italy or using an Italian ISP. It is obvious that the reponses are some type of form letter (After all, who wants to write out "Left handed medium grip Morini 162ei" everytime.) The same letter is probably used for all sorts of merchandise that is for sale in open forum boards, because there is no registration or log in required to respond to the posted email address. Because the scammers bombard a lot of similar "for sale" sites all at once, I'm sure they get a few takers and have some success before closing there operation. I would imagine that even if you showed interest but dragged your feet for more than 30 days, they would simply stop contacting you.
There was a humorous exchange posted on the web several months ago between a would be Nigerian scammer posing as a businessman and his potential victim. In spite of telling the businessman that he was on the run for the grisly murder of his wife and her lover (graphic, yet posed, pictures included,) the scammer alway replied with the usual "I hope you and your family are doing fine." After all, there is no law against a little fun.
Good Luck,
Cricman
TJ

Re: clarification

Post by TJ »

Thanks vasiliy! That sounds better.
Those wiley Nigerians have been doing that scam since the early 80's. When I was in the oil business we got at least one of those solicitations a week.
Now I see them on the internet. Crooks never change, do they?

: Just because you don't see the fit.... I received several solicitations to be fleeced by the "Nigerian scam." The local FBI office directed me to the Secret Service. They are charged with protecting the integrity of the country's money, so I guess that is the connection. If you ask me it looks an awful lot like bank fraud / money laundering.

shootingsports-at-ev1.net.45969.45946
PW

Post by PW »

An ACH withdrawal can be made from a bank account with the bank routing number and the account number. That's how you can pay for many things with an e-check or online payment from your bank account. No forms need to be signed. I don't know how hard it would be for a crim to do that as an individual.

: I agree, one cannot withdraw monies from a current account without the express permission of the accountholder (which involves the signing of official bank forms, signatures, etc).
: If anyone does manage this (without the necessary authorisation) then you need to ask questions of your bank, or question whether the withdrawals are an inside job.