Fps drop & accuracy

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Akitaki

Fps drop & accuracy

Post by Akitaki »

I've an old fas 6004, I put some pellets through the chrono today and fps were ranging from 271 to 243.
It's obviously way too slow and I'll have to try the mods described in the Slofyr's post but my question is... how much a jump of 20/30 fps will affect accuracy? How lower/higher will the pellet hit on the target? (Sorry I'm bad at maths😜)

I just want to understand if a bad shot is my fault or the gun's... Sometimes I'm sure the the shot was perfect just to find out it went 2cm higher or lower...
northpaw

Re: Fps drop & accuracy

Post by northpaw »

My old FAS 6004, many, many years back, had a pellet velocity of about 360 - 380 fps, a tad less than my somewhat similar AP, but even older Walther LP 2.
Your velocity readings are way too low. Something is apparently wrong.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

In theory, as long as it's consistent, it should still be fairly accurate. That said, a couple FPS variation out of 250 FPS is a bigger deal than the same variation in a pistol that shoots at 350 FPS.

We have Hammerli AP20's for the new shooters on the team I help coach. The regulator kicks out at about 60 BAR, but the students often don't tend to notice until the pressure is down to around 20 BAR. At that point, the shots are going a couple inches low.
Akitaki

Post by Akitaki »

Yes, consistency is the problem, is not just a couple fps, is 20-30 sometimes. I just wanted to be sure it's not me...
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

The velocity is that low because something is leaking. The leak is VERY likely to be variable, and if it's after you've cocked it (also likely), the velocity will drop as a function of how long you wait between shots.
Akitaki

Post by Akitaki »

Oh that's interesting, I can try to vary the time between shots and see if the velocity drops.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

The easiest test is to cock it & come back in half an hour. I suspect the pellet won't leave the barrel...
Akitaki

Post by Akitaki »

I'll try that, thanks for the input!
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

SSP’s are intended to be cocked and shot during an interval of 5 minutes max. If your pistol has not been used for a long time, lube the internal seals and pump the piston back and forth a few times without completely cocking (compressing) the pistol. This will help to soften up and expand the internal o-rings, improving air seal and will somewhat increase the velocity.