LP5 Cycle Problems

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
F/V Icy Swan

LP5 Cycle Problems

Post by F/V Icy Swan »

I am trying out my buddies LP5. It is the PCP version. it has sat for several years. I shot it at the range today and couldn't get it to cycle, if that is the correct term. I loaded the magazine with 5 rounds. The 1st round fired but the magazine didn't advance. I had to manually cock the pistol to have the magazine advance. The same thing happened every shot. I tried 5 different pellets and 2 different magazines and 2 different cylinders. No dice.

After about 50 rounds it would occasionally cycle the 2nd round and the 3rd would fire, but not regularly. Sometimes three shots would work, but mainly every shot had to be cocked. shot over 100 rounds and only once did all 5 work.

The manual doesn't address this. Anybody have any suggestions to get it running again? I have not bought it yet so I can't do anything major.

Thanks.

Mike
F/V Icy Swan

Re: LP5 Cycle Problems

Post by F/V Icy Swan »

I have tried what I could to get the pistol to cycle without success. Now I am waiting for the OK from the seller for me to send it to Scott P for service.

Mike
Dr. Jim

Post by Dr. Jim »

The LP5 manual is/was a bit deficient, the data may be on Pilk's data base, but there is a third adjustment screw at the rear of the action - under the rear sight in line with the barrel - I recall it as a larger screw. Adjusting that controls the amount of air in the charge, mine needed about a quarter turn (sorry over twenty five years ago😕) to make it function. In my manual at the time it was undocumented, things might have changed. Good luck tweaking!

Cheers Dr. Jim
F/V Icy Swan

Post by F/V Icy Swan »

Thanks, Doc. I had tried a very mild adjustment on velocity, but was reluctant to do much given the warning in the manual. It didn't work. So, at least until I own it, I will leave it to the professionals. I tried and was found wanting.

Mike
northpaw

Post by northpaw »

If air pressure in the cylinder gets too low, the gun will not cycle. After that, manually cocking and firing the gun several times, the valve may remain open, and empty the cylinder completely, or at least leak air until you cock the gun again.

But I think you charged your cylinders prior to firing?

(If your cylinders are old, and your gun is from the first batch of LP 5s, they may not have a manometer, and internal cylinder pressure is then hard know.)
F/V Icy Swan

Post by F/V Icy Swan »

Northpaw, the cylinders are the old style with no manometer. They have the rubber device that recedes until a red ring is reached and the pistol supposedly won't function. But I did fill them to 200 bar based on the manometer on my pump [actually I stopped a tad short of that], the rubber device properly extended, and the cylinders functioned well enough and long enough on single shot mode to lead me to believe air from the cylinder is not the problem. But if I end having the cycle issue sorted out and I purchase the pistol, I will buy new cylinders with their own gauges. Thanks for the input.

Mike
othello22

Post by othello22 »

Check the barrel adjustment, if the barrel is protruding into the magazine space it will hang up the advisement of the magazine. Adjust with the two barrel adjustment screws. The breach should be flush with the front face of the magazine space.

Rob
Seattle, WA
F/V Icy Swan

Post by F/V Icy Swan »

Rob, that makes sense and I will check that today. Otherwise the seller has given me the green light to send it Pilkington. I will do that Monday.

Mike
F/V Icy Swan

Post by F/V Icy Swan »

This is a happy ending. I sent the pistol to Pilkington. The seals were replaced and a new valve installed. it works great. They also had new, compact cylinders on sale so I got 2. Great service and very nice gun. Thanks for all the input along the way.

Mike