ISSF propose 2005 no more shooting pants

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Pat McCoy

Re: ISSF propose 2005 no more shooting pants

Post by Pat McCoy »

: Rule 7.4.9 states and I quote " The use of any special devices, means or garments which immobolize or unduly reduce the movement of the shooter's legs, body, or arms is prohibited in order to assure that the performance skills of the shooters are not artificially improved by special clothing".
: I don't think anyone would question that pants do provide artificial support. The question then becomes does a shooting coat provide support? I think so. Do shooting boots provide support? I think so.
And I would bet that in the future you will see a rule to require the jackets to have the buttons in a looser position than is now accepted. The jacket will remain to protect the elbows and give some measure of non-slip surface, but not give the support it does now. I'd also expect to see the shoe rule changes to require them to end below the ankle.
Olympic participantas are supposed to be ATHLETES, and as such should be in good enough physical condition to compete in their event without "srtificial support". We will all be doing more to strengthen core muscles , and to get our shooters to cross train with this in mind, in the future.
I do not mean this as encouragement for the change, but rather as a look at reality.

patmccoyagency-at-hotmail.com.45706.45695
Dick Poore

Why are pants important?

Post by Dick Poore »

I'm not a rifle shooter so this question may seem odd to many on this thread. If everyone is not allowed to wear pants what is the problem?

Mac

Re: Why are pants important?

Post by Mac »

: I'm not a rifle shooter so this question may seem odd to many on this thread. If everyone is not allowed to wear pants what is the problem?
I think this post,including a letter from Olympic Champion and World Record Holder Rajmond Debevec really says it all...
Dick Poore

Ahhhhhh. Thanks (nt)

Post by Dick Poore »

: : I'm not a rifle shooter so this question may seem odd to many on this thread. If everyone is not allowed to wear pants what is the problem?
: I think this post,including a letter from Olympic Champion and World Record Holder Rajmond Debevec really says it all...

Eric H

Re: High power no comparison

Post by Eric H »

Semper Fidelis
hartcorvus-at-thebestisp.com.45818.45694
Michael Ray

NCAA rules

Post by Michael Ray »

: I do worry, however, that the NCAA rules tend to parallel the international rules. Look at the composition of the US Team (Rifle) and it is very apparent that the NCAA program has a huge impact. With so many collegiates on or vying for spots on the US Team, and the predisposition to follow international rules, my guess (which is as good as anybody's) would be that over time the NCAA rules would come into compliance with ISSF.
Nobody will likely see this so far down, but NCAA rules will NOT necessarily follow ISSF rules. Just this past spring we voted to allow for greater jacket thickness because we had 2 just fail at West Point. Now that's not to say some kid will go out and get a thicker coat if he could even find one, but we made it clear that our rules will not mirror ISSF rules so those kids having international aspirations will know that (though they should know the rules anyway).
We also discussed the potential rule changes and if we do change to follow ISSF in this regard there will be at least a couple year grace period. I for one however am opposed to not having pants.