Rimfire diet for Walther SSP

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Lablover

Rimfire diet for Walther SSP

Post by Lablover »

new to me Walther SSP rimfire. Love the feel and the way it shoots. I’ve been feeding it CCI sv and seems to like it fine. I’d like to experiment with some different Ammo and looking for suggestions. I use it for bullseye type shooting.

An odd thing also happened and not sure how to correct it. Loaded magazine and let slide go home. Firing line went cold so I had to unload. I opened and locked the slide and removed the magazine but the round that was chambered did not extract or eject. New to Euro guns so not sure why it would of done this. Tried to pick it out with my fingernail and it wasn’t coming out. This was with the cci Ammo. The round in the chamber was not fired

Look forward to any and all answers to questions

Thanks
Ray Dash

Re: Rimfire diet for Walther SSP

Post by Ray Dash »

Was this a new or used pistol? I am looking to add one to my collection but was told they don't do well using CCI ammo.
Lablover

Post by Lablover »

Used. So far it’s doing fine with CCI. Just that one hiccup. Might try some eley target or SK Standard
spektr

Post by spektr »

It doesn't surprise me that an SSP will not extract an unfired SAAMI Spec US round. They are marginally longer than eurospec ammunition. Eurospec chambers are marginally tighter as well as shorter than SAAMI spec chambers, This causes a US spec round to engrave more deeply in the rifling. The deep rifling engagement can cause the extractor to release the bullet if the spring load holding the extractor to the rim is exceeded before it can pull the round out of the chamber. Nothing is wrong with either the ammo or the Gun. Choose a eurospec round and the problem go's away. SK STD+ and Wolf Match Target are low buck eurospec rounds you can use as a starting point. Also, Stupid as it seems, Federal Auto Match is on the bottom of the SAAMI specs and has a habit of running in anything, even if it does creep me out a bit........
Lablover

Post by Lablover »

Awesome info, thanks a million
joel

Post by joel »

I've never had that problem so it is surprising to me. My SSP will fire everything I have tried, Eley, RWS, CCI, and Lapua. One thing to know is that the first round in the magazine should point up just a tad. I accomplish that by "snapping" the side button down and up.

HTH

Joel
Lablover

Post by Lablover »

joel wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:43 am I've never had that problem so it is surprising to me. My SSP will fire everything I have tried, Eley, RWS, CCI, and Lapua. One thing to know is that the first round in the magazine should point up just a tad. I accomplish that by "snapping" the side button down and up.

HTH

Joel
I’m going to give my chamber a good cleaning. Not sure it’s that big a problem until I run into a alibi then I see a wooden dowel down the barrel to knock out the live round.