10M spotting scopes

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Jay V

10M spotting scopes

Post by Jay V »

In the past I have recommended the BSA 12-36 50mm spotting scope with the 45 degree eyepiece as a decent 10M scope on a budget or for a junior club. I recently found out that BSA had changed the design of the scope, and it will no longer focus down to 10M - not even 50 ft. The older scopes had the focus on the eyepiece, the newer design has the focus on the barrel. I was surprised about some of the comments that said how poor the scope was, as we are very pleased with ours (older models). I now can understand the problem - the "improved" design (if it aint broke...).
Anyway, don't buy any of the new design models expecting them to work at 10M or even 50 ft. BSA has officially discontinued the scope as well.
It looks like the best bet in the less than $100 range may now be the 12x50 50mm 45 degree scope from Champion's Choice at $85 list (p 68). It doesn't look like it has a rotating mounting collar like the BSA, which was a handy feature.

Jay Vergenz
IL
aiac-airguns.org
jverg-at-att.net.45662.0
Randy

Re: 10M spotting scopes

Post by Randy »

I would also recommend the Bushenll NatureView Spotting Scope for 10 Meter Air Shooting. I don't know if you can get it with a 45 degree eyepiece, but for $47 (dealer price) you can't beat the price. It will focus well under 33ft.

: In the past I have recommended the BSA 12-36 50mm spotting scope with the 45 degree eyepiece as a decent 10M scope on a budget or for a junior club. I recently found out that BSA had changed the design of the scope, and it will no longer focus down to 10M - not even 50 ft. The older scopes had the focus on the eyepiece, the newer design has the focus on the barrel. I was surprised about some of the comments that said how poor the scope was, as we are very pleased with ours (older models). I now can understand the problem - the "improved" design (if it aint broke...).
: Anyway, don't buy any of the new design models expecting them to work at 10M or even 50 ft. BSA has officially discontinued the scope as well.
: It looks like the best bet in the less than $100 range may now be the 12x50 50mm 45 degree scope from Champion's Choice at $85 list (p 68). It doesn't look like it has a rotating mounting collar like the BSA, which was a handy feature.
:
: Jay Vergenz
: IL
: aiac-airguns.org

randy-at-srv.net.45672.45662
David

Post by David »

: Yes, I agree, that old BSA scope is great. I shoot with one my high school team ones, and I am hestitant to buy a new one.
Now, since I will have to get a new one by September 2004 (college), what is recommended for 10m air and 50ft smallbore, as well as 50m? I like the BSA becuase it will zoom out to 18x, which gives you the entire AR5/10 air rifle target in the picture. I have seen the 50mm Kowa, and it only goes down to 20x (I may be the only person who wants less power). Any suggestions other than the usual (kowa, AHG).
pdeal

Post by pdeal »

David: I'd recommend the 50mm Kowa. I totally agree with you that less than 20x indoors is great. In fact I think it would be really nice to have a 10x-25x zoom. The trouble is I don't think spotting scope marketing people or whoever decides what features they'll put into the scope knows or cares what would suit us. The lack of that little feature that Jay mentioned, the rotating ring, cost you an extra $30 in buying a stand because the scope does need to be rotated so you can get it at the proper angle. The little Kowa will allow you to see a complete AR-5/10 target. The only complaint I had with it was the eye relief was too short for my liking. What helped that situation on my daughter's was to cut the little rubber skirt they put on the eyepiece back to minimum. The rubber can be completely removed but I opted to cut it back because the rubber ring does protect the eyepiece a little. In my route to picking the Kowa I tried one of the new champ. Choice scopes this summer. I bought one and was unable to see bullet holes at 50yds. The image at 50yds was horrible. The 50mm kowa is not great at 50yds but has a beautiful image at 10m and 50'. Also, Kowa does a good job of supporting their products.
pdeal-at-mylanlabs.com.45692.45680
Jay V

Post by Jay V »

: (snip)The trouble is I don't think spotting scope marketing people or whoever decides what features they'll put into the scope knows or cares what would suit us.

Pete (pdeal) has that right. The guy I spoke to at BSA said that they never claimed that either scope focused at 10M, stating that their "technical dept" says it is designed for 30-50M. I asked him why you would choose a small, low-power, scope for that. Basically they don't have any idea what the intended use for a scope in that range would be.
I have also heard that there will be a new version of the Champion's Choice 12x50 45 degree scope that will have the rotating mounting ring. They may be OK at 10M, but not much farther than that from what Pete said.

Jay

jverg-at-att.net.45700.45692
Wee Hooker

Post by Wee Hooker »

: As long as your not to hung up on style, there are allot of vintage Tasco spotting scopes around from the 60/70's that work very well at 10m. Mine is a straight body with 10-30 mag and a 50mm objective. They can be had in gun shops for $20 or so. (snip)The trouble is I don't think spotting scope marketing people or whoever decides what features they'll put into the scope knows or cares what would suit us.

: Pete (pdeal) has that right. The guy I spoke to at BSA said that they never claimed that either scope focused at 10M, stating that their "technical dept" says it is designed for 30-50M. I asked him why you would choose a small, low-power, scope for that. Basically they don't have any idea what the intended use for a scope in that range would be.
: I have also heard that there will be a new version of the Champion's Choice 12x50 45 degree scope that will have the rotating mounting ring. They may be OK at 10M, but not much farther than that from what Pete said.
:
: Jay

Gary

Post by Gary »

For a variable scope, my brother-in-law got a Landmark 15-45 from midway. It does focus down to I think 25 ft, the width of his garage where we were shooting. So it would be perfect for 10 meter AR/AP. I was not able to compare it to anything else out at 50 meters so I can't comment on it's 50 meter performance. The 15x is just right for short range 10 meters and the 45x for the longer 50 meter range.
http://www.midwayusa.com/rewriteaproduct/234707
http://www.midwayusa.com/rewriteaproduct/731581
Gary

: In the past I have recommended the BSA 12-36 50mm spotting scope with the 45 degree eyepiece as a decent 10M scope on a budget or for a junior club. I recently found out that BSA had changed the design of the scope, and it will no longer focus down to 10M - not even 50 ft. The older scopes had the focus on the eyepiece, the newer design has the focus on the barrel. I was surprised about some of the comments that said how poor the scope was, as we are very pleased with ours (older models). I now can understand the problem - the "improved" design (if it aint broke...).
: Anyway, don't buy any of the new design models expecting them to work at 10M or even 50 ft. BSA has officially discontinued the scope as well.
: It looks like the best bet in the less than $100 range may now be the 12x50 50mm 45 degree scope from Champion's Choice at $85 list (p 68). It doesn't look like it has a rotating mounting collar like the BSA, which was a handy feature.
:
: Jay Vergenz
: IL
: aiac-airguns.org

pdeal

Post by pdeal »

Those scopes don't have a 45 degree eyepiece which is very desireable for rifle shooting. Leupold has maybe ventured out of the office and to a rifle match to see how it is done though. They just released one of their low end scopes with a 45 degree eyepiece.
pdeal-at-mylanlabs.com.45715.45708