Where Should Iris Go On Shooting Glasses

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

ChipEck

Where Should Iris Go On Shooting Glasses

Post by ChipEck »

I have always had my adjustable iris on the outside of the lense on my shooting glasses. I happened to notice that, both a woman and a man in the 10 meter air pistol finals in Rio, they had the iris on the inside of their lense (closer to eye). Anyone know why they do that? I would think there would be a very slight increase in risk of hurting your eyeball by having iris mounted on the inside. But maybe there is a good reason to do that?

Chip
jscot111

Re: Where Should Iris Go On Shooting Glasses

Post by jscot111 »

Chip, after years of the aperture on the outside for air pistol I noticed the same thing several months ago. I tried it between the eye and the lens and I get a much more defined front sight. I,m nearsighted if that makes a difference and my current lens is a minus .5 not a positive # which is a +1.0 added to my distastant correction of Minus 1.5. I find a real difference in clarity. Knobloch glasses. Now if
someone could explain explain why is it if i hold a + .5 lenses over my - .5 lens ( which would cancel out the correction) I have super vision on the front sight?
Scott Duthie
ChipEck

Post by ChipEck »

Thanks. I will try it. The only thing I could think of is; if you wanted to use a filter (yellow, grey), it would be easier if the iris was on the inside instead of outside.

Chip
David M

Post by David M »

Be careful on the inside, if too close to the eye you may flick the iris with your eye lash as you blink.
ChipEck

Post by ChipEck »

should have read this BEFORE trying :-). I had to change my glasses so the shooting lens if further away.

Chip
Martin H

Post by Martin H »

jscot111 wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:33 am Now if someone could explain explain why is it if i hold a + .5 lenses over my - .5 lens ( which would cancel out the correction) I have super vision on the front sight?
Scott Duthie
Hi Scott
It's very easy, holding a +0.5 lens in front of your existing -0.50 will now give a lens power of 0.00, i.e. even more focus on the foresight, and less on the target.
Cheers Martin
Azmodan

Post by Azmodan »

i got the lenses installed in my varga glasses, and the iris cannot be installed over the lens because of the curvature (the grasping legs of the iris are not long enough). i can put it only on the inside
Airpistol: Feinwerkbau 100 / Feinwerkbau P8X
STP: Walther GSP 22
CFP: Walther GSP 32
Freepistol: TOZ-35
PPC: CZ Shadow 2
PCC: Nova Modul CTS9
ChipEck

Post by ChipEck »

OK, clearly I have been doing it wrong for several years. Hopefully, my scores will go up now :-)

Chip