Looking to get back into air pistol

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Xring45

Looking to get back into air pistol

Post by Xring45 »

I’m looking to get back into air pistol shooting since it’s gaining popularity around me and need some suggestions on what pistol to get. I’d be opened to used but being left handed it’s going to be near the same price buying a used RH gun and a LH grip. When I shot as a junior my gun was a Bikahl and Pardini K2S. My bullseye gun is a Walther GSP and my free pistol is a MTs-55-1. Budget? I’d like to stay under the $2,000 mark.

Chris
Last edited by Xring45 on Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
william

Re: Looking to get back into air pistol

Post by william »

If popularity is a concern, Steyr LP10 or Morini 162 are the only choices.

Everybody will have different reactions to a pistol's ergonomics. Pardini has been the most accommodating to my hand / eyes (now that the SAM M10 is a historical curiosity).

If you want the most technologically advanced, that's probably the Matchguns MGH1 Hybrid. Cesare is the most restless innovator in the field.

I've always been curious about the MTs55. If you'd like to schmooze about yours, send me a PM, please.
Forrest C.

Post by Forrest C. »

There are a few Morini 162's on buy,sell,trade going for around $1000. You'd be able to stay sub $2000 even if you bought a new left hand grip.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=60685

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=60226

Just a few options.
gimgim

Post by gimgim »

For $2000 you can definitely buy a brand new Steyr (the mechanical Evo10, for example), a Rink grip and a manual pump for charging the cylinders.
ChipEck

Post by ChipEck »

I own a Steyr Evo, Pardini K12, Morini CM200, Walther LP500, and more.
For under $2K I would rate the Walther LP500 first. Further back the Pardini K12, next Steyr. The Morini CM200 is poorly designed and made. The earlier models were MUCH better designed/made.

Chip
Xring45

Post by Xring45 »

ChipEck wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:00 pm I own a Steyr Evo, Pardini K12, Morini CM200, Walther LP500, and more.
For under $2K I would rate the Walther LP500 first. Further back the Pardini K12, next Steyr. The Morini CM200 is poorly designed and made. The earlier models were MUCH better designed/made.

Chip
That’s interesting to hear I was leaning towards the Walther for no other reasons than brand loyalty and I know what size grip to get. However I had heard mixed reviews of the LP400 and next to nothing on the LP500.
ChipEck

Post by ChipEck »

Kallysan

Post by Kallysan »

I might be biased, but I would go for the LP500 expert. Absolutely love mine.
william

Post by william »

Chris, every air pistol you're considering and some that you haven't mentioned (FWB, for example) are more than capable of shooting a ragged 1-hole group dead center of the 10-ring. Therefore, whether you shoot 85s or 95s depends entirely on your ability and, every bit as important, how you and the pistol interact. Drive that thought into your mind. Whoever recommend one pistol or another is making NO objective statement as to the qualities of the pistol; they are merely describing their interaction with it.

Just I prefer curry to chili, the fact that I lean toward Pardini is strictly an expression of my subjective preference. Ditto anybody else boosting some other - no matter how many exclamation points they use!!!
Xring45

Post by Xring45 »

william wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:16 am Chris, every air pistol you're considering and some that you haven't mentioned (FWB, for example) are more than capable of shooting a ragged 1-hole group dead center of the 10-ring. Therefore, whether you shoot 85s or 95s depends entirely on your ability and, every bit as important, how you and the pistol interact. Drive that thought into your mind. Whoever recommend one pistol or another is making NO objective statement as to the qualities of the pistol; they are merely describing their interaction with it.

Just I prefer curry to chili, the fact that I lean toward Pardini is strictly an expression of my subjective preference. Ditto anybody else boosting some other - no matter how many exclamation points they use!!!
I 100% agree and understand that...I’m more concerned I’m going to go buy something and find out they have a known issue or there are no parts available. I live in Massachusetts so getting a pardini from Greg Derr would be easy, but I shoot a Walther 22 so I have an idea of what kind of experience to expect if I get a LP500. Then there is the Steyr and Morini which seem to be the most popular and easiest to obtain so parts are more readily available.
william

Post by william »

Chris, it looks like you've found the solution but continue to seek complications.

If the Pardini can't be faulted, other than as a purely personal preference, why not avail yourself of Greg as a resource? It isn't everybody that gets to have a working face-to-face relationship with a world-class shooter. What's the worst that can happen? After a couple of years you decide you prefer Schnitzel und Spätzle to Linguine con Vongole, so you sell your Pardini and get a Steyr (or Walther) instead.

Where do you live in Mass? Would you shoot the monthly PTOs in Woburn? PM me with your email address, and I'll forward the schedule / contact information.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Why not buy a used SSP, such as a FWB100, or Walther LPM1? Usually the only thing that ever breaks is an O-ring.
tkinva

Post by tkinva »

Why not buy a used SSP, such as a FWB100, or Walther LPM1? Usually the only thing that ever breaks is an O-ring.
I'd love to have an LPM-1. Where can I find one?
"It's better to have a catatonk atlatl than a catatonic axolotl."
Azmodan

Post by Azmodan »

tkinva wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:16 pm
http://www.egun.de/market/item.php?id=7597760
Airpistol: Feinwerkbau 100 / Feinwerkbau P8X
STP: Walther GSP 22
CFP: Walther GSP 32
Freepistol: TOZ-35
PPC: CZ Shadow 2
PCC: Nova Modul CTS9
william

Post by william »

Azmodan wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:21 pm
tkinva wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:16 pm
http://www.egun.de/market/item.php?id=7597760
Don't get too excited. "Shipping within EU only." Last I looked, Virginia (and Massachusetts in case Chris is reading) is still firmly part of the definitely non-EU USA.
tkinva

Post by tkinva »

william wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:40 pm Don't get too excited. "Shipping within EU only." Last I looked, Virginia (and Massachusetts in case Chris is reading) is still firmly part of the definitely non-EU USA.
Oh, well. Another dream dies aborning.

Perhaps one will show up in the US.
"It's better to have a catatonk atlatl than a catatonic axolotl."
Azmodan

Post by Azmodan »

tkinva wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:24 pm
william wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:40 pm Don't get too excited. "Shipping within EU only." Last I looked, Virginia (and Massachusetts in case Chris is reading) is still firmly part of the definitely non-EU USA.
Oh, well. Another dream dies aborning.

Perhaps one will show up in the US.
you can contact the seller directly on egun. sometimes they change their "status" if you offer to pay the shipping. (i had one such experience)
Airpistol: Feinwerkbau 100 / Feinwerkbau P8X
STP: Walther GSP 22
CFP: Walther GSP 32
Freepistol: TOZ-35
PPC: CZ Shadow 2
PCC: Nova Modul CTS9
william

Post by william »

"you can contact the seller directly on egun. sometimes they change their "status" if you offer to pay the shipping. (i had one such experience)"

In nearly 20 years and several attempts including such harmless items as grips, I've had exactly zero such experiences.
Leon

Post by Leon »

ChipEck wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:00 pm I own a Steyr Evo, Pardini K12, Morini CM200, Walther LP500, and more.

Chip
"Morini CM200 is poorly designed and made."

Jeepers, really? Specifically what?
ChipEck

Post by ChipEck »

The holes in the carbon fiber barrel shroud do not line up with the holes in the barrel. Morini has recalled the electronic trigger circuit board because it drains the battery in just a couple of hundred shoots, the trigger guard is made out of cheap plastic...would you like me to go on?

Chip