New targets - 50m Bench Rest UK

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Gunter

New targets - 50m Bench Rest UK

Post by Gunter »

Hi all,
there is talk that the NSRA (UK) is going to change the 50m bench rest targets from the 2 bulls per card (5 shots on a 'bull') to
something close to the US targets with 10 bulls per card ( 1 shot per 'bull')
Unfortunately, as far as I can tell, NO sighting 'bulls' on the card though!
The size of the 10-ring is the same though (about 10mm) - so that should not produce a problem.

My point & question -
I have noticed that POI can change by moving from the left target to the right target on the card
with identical sight picture and 'good let off'
Now, having 10 bulls to deal with on one card - in three rows - (4 - 2 - 4) - more 'body' movement between shots is necessary.

I would like to ask how BR shooters in the US deal with this
and would be grateful for any advice.
What do I need to concentrate on?
What must I NOT do?

I realize that this is a difficult question to answer but would appreciate any input from bench rest shooters.
Please keep in mind that we are only allowed a 'front' rest! - Stock must rest on hand.

I have made a (electric motor assisted) lateral adjustment on the front rest - as described in an earlier thread here,
but find that that from one target bull to the next, and having a 'perfect' aim picture, the shot might go either to the right or left!
What am I doing wrong?

I have shot one of those 'new' targets last week and had an abysmal result! - 95 instead of a normal min expected of 97/98/99!?
What do I need to concentrate on while moving the rifle from left to right (and of course my 'body position') between each shot?

regards from England
Gunter
NRA Life 1974
analretentive

Re: New targets - 50m Bench Rest UK

Post by analretentive »

Gunter,

I'm an experienced novice. You'll find the experts at Rimfire Accuracy.

Wow; y'all use no rear rest! I did not know that. As you probably know, most American rimfire benchrest competition is ARA and IR 50/50. Both use a 25 shot (5 x 5) target so there is quite a bit of movement involved; but, a lot of that is mechanically controlled. I was shocked the first time I saw a one piece rest. As you know, it removes inordinate pressure on the front and rear of the stock by moving the rifle in unison with the rest. The kind of horizontal POI movement you describe would be attributable to a rear bag, or the operator, but, if you are consistent, the POI shift should be somewhat consistent. Shifting from left to right....I don't know. The obvious advice would be to shoot many targets, and document the POI shift. I'll bet you will find some consistency there. Then, adjust your body/hold, to compensate.

I really like the fact that you use no rear rest. It puts a lot more shooter skill back into the mix. It seems we are moving farther and farther away from the chance of human error; and that's what makes competition interesting for me ; not how much money I can spend. I would probably be roundly criticized for that attitude here (maybe there too).

Some day we will have digital wind analysers tied to laptop/smartphone/ smartwatch/ VR glasses, integrated with the servo operated rest, and vibration, parallax, and mirage compensated scope; with a 60 second time limit for 25 shots. All that video gaming and texting may come in handy.

Then someone will come up with the novel idea of using only a rifle, real sandbag, and a wet finger.

That's probably TMI, so I'll shut up and listen to some good advice.

Good luck to you,

Gerry
analretentive

Post by analretentive »

Gunter, Try This. Instead of shooting 1 through 10, shoot 1-2-3-4-6-5-7-8-9-10, 1-7-8-5-2-3-6-9-10-4. Horizontal shifts will be much smaller.

Good luck to you,

Gerry
Gunter

Post by Gunter »

Hi Gerry

sorry, I thought I had answered your earlier post!

Must be 'fat finger' syndrome! - hehe

I completely agree with your sentiments! I like to 'shoot' and not adjust a machine...

as to your last message - yeah, I'll try that - although I'm sure that I've done that before

had a better session earlier today, by just taking more care of my position and hand pressure on the rifle & trigger finger

I have come to the conclusion that the problem is the shooter! hehe

As long as I remember to keep everything the same every shot, the rifle groups 2 calibers size!

But then - I'm getting old and wobbly; and easily forget what I was doing 10 minutes ago!

Regards
Gunter
NRA Life 1974
A1small.jpg
analretentive

Post by analretentive »

What have you got there Gunter; an Anschutz?

I've been out of rimfire for awhile, but I'm sort of backing back in. I have an excuse for benchrest. I'm 72, and a lifetime of manual labor have left me with a pretty good case of Osteoarthritis. For me, kneeling and prone suck. Unkneeling and unproning really suck. And yes, by American media standards I am allowed to make a verb out of any noun or adjective.

I have purchased a Walther benchrest stock, SEB rear bag, Harrels's offset rings, Nightforce 12-42, and have an SEB Neo Ratigan front rest on order due in September. Now I have to wait for the Walther fairy to bring me a KK500 barreled action.

I hope the forum here is not upset with a benchrester posting. The folks here seem pretty nice, and very knowledgeable.

Good luck to you,

Gerry
Gunter

Post by Gunter »

Hi Gerry,

yes, an old Anschutz 54 Super Match (as was) 1410 in a BR50 stock
with a 32x50 target scope
using the Anschutz 'Set Trigger' and have tightened up the Headspace -
shoots better that I can!

I'm 73 now and share your sentiments - hehe

Can really only shoot sitting down nowadays, so BR suits me 'down to the ground' as they say here.

Best regards

Gunter
NRA Life 1974
Gunter

Post by Gunter »

Hi

I attach a pic of a practice target shot this morning to show the point of my question.
shot with SK Flatnose Match (Lapua Center X might produce a slightly smaller group for me)

Left bull a nice group - move to the right bull - everything else the same, look what happened!
Must be the shooter (me)! - but I don't seem to be able to pinpoint WHAT exactly I'm not doing right!

Doesn't seem to happen all the time - sometimes, shooting a comp target, it seems to be OK and I shoot a 100

But why the difference from the first to the second bull?

Can it be a concentration problem? - I like to think that I concentrate on the second bull just the same as on the first.
So, the only alternative is that I have to move my position slightly to get on the second bull (even with 'push button'
lateral adjustment on the front rest)
do I concentrate more when I know I'm shooting a 'counting' target?
Yes, of course I do - same as with Pistol shooting - but in 30 or 40 years of pistol shooting my body (muscle memory)
had somehow worked out what to do and what not - I don't seem to be able to translate that into a sitting BR position!

Now, just to say it again: we shoot with a front rest only!

- In case I haven't mentioned it before ( I'm on many forums, so forget sometimes what info I might have given)
I come from Pistol shooting (Int'l Competitions - and didn't do too badly in my day!)
- only changed to rifle in 1997 when our beloved Despot Tony Blair decided to jerk his knee
and took all handguns away from UK shooters!
So, my real expertise lies with Olympic Pistol Shooting

So, being nearly in my dotage, I enjoy having the odd 'result' in winning the club- or county championship
shooting a 54 year old Anschutz Super Match ! ( Edit: a 54 year old 54 Super Match! - must be good for some recognition?)
At least I can still hit a bullseye, even if I have to do it sitting down - hehe!
Feels good! & reminds me of the old days!

Have you got your KK500 action yet?
keep us informed and show some pics when you get there!

Best regards from England

Gunter
NRA Life 1974
target.jpg
analretentive

Post by analretentive »

Hi Gunter,

I'm sure no expert. You would get a lot of good advice from those targets from Rimfire Accuracy, and Kevin Nevius if he was still here.

What I'm seeing there, for me, would be a scope parallax problem. No I haven't even ordered the KK500 yet. The scope, rest,
and stock pretty much used up my petty cash for awhile. I'd show you pictures of the Walther stock, and the one I've made myself; but i can't get photos to upload. System says the file is too large, and they're just from my cellphone.

Keep trying, and let me know what you come up with. I'll post some photos when I figure it out.

Good luck,
Gerry
Gunter

Post by Gunter »

Hi Gerry,

you need a photo-editing program!
There should be one in win10 (although I haven't looked for it yet,
as I'm using my old 'photodraw' from win xp days! - only one I ever mastered)

As I've found out the hard way, here you can only post pics with a max of about 500KB

Your phone pic will likely have a couple thousands KB!

So, load the pic into an editing program, reduce the size of it until you get to under 500KB.

(this is 'old fogey' way of explanation! - someone more computer-savvy can probably explain this better
or have a better way of doing it)

Regards
Gunter
NRA Life 1974
analretentive

Post by analretentive »

Hi Gunter,

I figured it out. Slooooowly. This is my old equipment and the start of something new. I ran into some health issues a few years back and sold everything.

Gerry
Attachments
rifle 002.JPG
rifle 002.JPG (96.57 KiB) Viewed 2441 times
jhd26

Post by jhd26 »

analretentive wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:46 pm Hi Gunter,

I figured it out. Slooooowly. This is my old equipment and the start of something new. I ran into some health issues a few years back and sold everything.

Gerry
What a beautiful rifle!