Avanti Valiant Model XS40 or used higher grade?

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Learning

Avanti Valiant Model XS40 or used higher grade?

Post by Learning »

For high school kids air rifle competiton, from a disadvanted community where most parents could never help them with a target air rifle, how does a new Avanti Valiant Model XS40 rate for 3 position local high school comps? Is it better to buy a used higher grade model instead? Please advise.
pdeal

Re: Avanti Valiant Model XS40 or used higher grade?

Post by pdeal »

Are you attempting to buy equipment for a H.S. air rifle team or just to outfit one shooter? It would be tought to track down enough used stuff for a whole team. Also, even used it is next to impossible to find a high end gun for near the price of the Daisy. Pneumatics can be found for close to that price sometimes but they are not so good for 3p shooting. Is it a sporter or precision program? As I understand it is considered a sporter and as a sporter i think it is about the top of the line. As a precision air rifle it seems to make a good first gun for a sub jr.
pdeal-at-mylanlabs.com.45527.45525
pdeal

Post by pdeal »

One more thing. I am assuming you are looking to get rifles for a whole program. Personally I think it is best to get whatever you can afford. If you can afford the Avanti Valiants then those. Also, maybe watch for a used precision gun for yourself and buy it yourself and share it. I know in my neck of the woods the concept of paying $1400 for an air rifle seems pretty crazy to most. Once people try the better guns though they often see the light.
pdeal-at-mylanlabs.com.45528.45527
Jay V

Post by Jay V »

: For high school kids air rifle competiton, from a disadvanted community where most parents could never help them with a target air rifle, how does a new Avanti Valiant Model XS40 rate for 3 position local high school comps? Is it better to buy a used higher grade model instead? Please advise.

Our junior club has Daisy Valiants and Daisy 888s. If you are planning to start a competition team, then definitely go with the Valiant or the 888 because they are legal for sporter air rifle competition. No reason to start with guns that are not legal at the entry-level. The Valiant is precharged air, the 888 is CO2. Air is easier to keep track of (gauge on the cylinder) but CO2 is not bad when you get the hang of it. The 888s get quite a few shots per fill if you do it correctly (chill the cylinder). They are also more durable, simpler, less expensive, and more accurate than the Valiant. Many top sporter shooters use 888s. The Valiant has a more adjustable target-type stock with a cheekpiece.
Also, a "new" Valiant is different from an "old" Valiant in a few ways. It is smaller, with a shorter stock and barrel, has a supported forend, and a different cheekpiece height so the riser-blocks are no longer needed or allowed. The easy way to tell is the new gun has a shorter, cut-out forend where the cylinder is visible.
Basically, for about 1/2 the price the 888 will do the job just as well.
Feel free to email me directly if you have any specific questions.
Best of luck with the new team whatever gun you choose!

Jay Vergenz
IL
www.aiac-airguns.org

jverg-at-att.net.45530.45525
durant7

Similar thread but Daisy 499s start up program

Post by durant7 »

Moving down a few years in age, we're trying to start a BB gun team/program. Bring what you own has been a challenge. I know with $$$ we can order them from Daisy direct but since we only have $ I wonder if one can "outfit a whole team" by finding used stuff?? Any suggestions or comments welcome. d7
durant7

Similar thread but Daisy 499s start up program

Post by durant7 »

Moving down a few years in age, we're trying to start a BB gun team/program. Bring what you own has been a challenge. I know with $$$ we can order them from Daisy direct but since we only have $ I wonder if one can "outfit a whole team" by finding used stuff?? Any suggestions or comments welcome. d7
durant-at-ix.netcom.com.45545.45525
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

The Daisy Valiant is very competitive in the Sporter class. The final 8 at this years USAShooting 3 P National Championships were pretty evenly distributed between the 888 and the Valiant.
We have been using them for several years, and have few complaints. The new Daisy has a supported forend, so thaat solves one of the problems.
You're welcome to ocntact me directly of you ahve other questions.
patmccoyagency-at-hotmail.com.45549.45525
Jay V

Re: Similar thread but Daisy 499s start up program

Post by Jay V »

: Moving down a few years in age, we're trying to start a BB gun team/program. Bring what you own has been a challenge. I know with $$$ we can order them from Daisy direct but since we only have $ I wonder if one can "outfit a whole team" by finding used stuff?? Any suggestions or comments welcome. d7

I would ask for help. Affiliate with the NRA, CMP, USA Shooting, state organization, etc. Then ask them to help you get going. Our CMP Junior Directors (IL) are ALWAYS ready to help someone get a junior program going. They (Raymond and Tina Odle) have helped us with every aspect of club start-up. Hopefully your state CMP Junior Directors will be able to do the same.
The NRA Foundation grant program is another way to get help purchasing equipment. Talk to your state NRA field rep for more info on grants.

Jay Vergenz
IL

jverg-at-att.net.45565.45544
Jim Morris

Re: Similar thread but Daisy 499s start up program

Post by Jim Morris »

I second what Jay said . . .
Talk to the NRA, CMP and your state organizations.
In Michigan the MRPA has a program to provide some equipment. And, if you are part of a non-profit group, the NRA Foundation grants will put you in business if you take the time to work the system.
Where are you at?
Jim

jmorris_3-at-yahoo.com.45570.45565