Storing a large number of pistols in a gun safe

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Paul Benneche

Storing a large number of pistols in a gun safe

Post by Paul Benneche »

About four years ago the college shooting club that I coach lost the use a large walk-in safe where we had been storing our rifles and pistols. We are now using several large "regular" safes. We need to store 50-75 international style .22 pistols and air pistols in a safe and the normal safe interiors make this nearly impossible. I have been trying to find a multi-drawer cabinet to put in a safe that will take up, as close as possible, all the interior space so that none is wasted. The drawers need to be short in height (3"-6"), again so there is little wasted space (the pistols can be stored laying down horizontally, or sitting up beween drawer dividers). Does anyone have an idea where such a cabinet might be obtained or has anyone else had the same problem and found a solution?
peb-at-virginia.edu.44717.0
Joe Matusic, MD

Re: Storing a large number of pistols in a gun safe

Post by Joe Matusic, MD »

When I was searching for my safe, I did note that they make safe doors you can install like a regular door. Do you have a closet you could convert?
There are some medical storage cabinets that might fit the bill. Look in your area for a medical supply reseller (sells used equipment) and you might find something there.
Joe.Matusic-at-Camc.org.44719.44717
Charles

Post by Charles »

Check out:
http://www.versatilegunrack.com/
The have stand-alone pistol racks and peg board racks...
Charles
crrmeyer-at-yahoo.com.44732.44717
Michael Ray

Post by Michael Ray »

Perhaps a smaller blueprint cabinet would fit in a safe.
If it were me, I'd just make a set of slide-out shelves (like for turntables) and then you maximize the use of space.
f.li

Post by f.li »

: About four years ago the college shooting club that I coach lost the use a large walk-in safe where we had been storing our rifles and pistols. We are now using several large "regular" safes. We need to store 50-75 international style .22 pistols and air pistols in a safe and the normal safe interiors make this nearly impossible. I have been trying to find a multi-drawer cabinet to put in a safe that will take up, as close as possible, all the interior space so that none is wasted. The drawers need to be short in height (3"-6"), again so there is little wasted space (the pistols can be stored laying down horizontally, or sitting up beween drawer dividers). Does anyone have an idea where such a cabinet might be obtained or has anyone else had the same problem and found a solution?
We're looking at using a mechanic's chest. Unfortunately, most of them do not have deep drawers.

senza_nome_560-at-hotmail.com.44752.44717
pdeal

Post by pdeal »

This may or may not be helpful but I will toss it out. I have a bunch of target rifles and was unsatisfied with the idea of a safe. A friend came up with the idea of using a construction site tool storage chest. This worked well for me because I can just drop the cases into the chest. These same companies have all sorts of cabinets and chests. They are not really safes but are pretty secure. Some of them are in stand-up configurations with shelves. Two brands that come to mind are Knaack and Jobox. Another option is to check www.strong-hold.com. This company makes some really stout storage cabinets. Again, they are not safes but they would take a considerable effort to break into. Also, what I found with the chest I got for myself cost/volume is much cheaper going this route than with a gun safe.
pdeal-at-mylanlabs.com.44792.44752
DaveA

Post by DaveA »

I also use a converted safe for storage of my firearms. I found it best to store each gun in a hard plastic gun case ( $7 type w foam eggcrate lining). The bigger pistols , go in spotting scope cases of similar design. The boxes are then labled on the grip and stacked in the safe. When I want a particular gun, I just slide the whole case out and go. The egg crate foam does not hold moisture like many other cases so a once a year wipedown keeps everything rust free. Works for me. hth
out: About four years ago the college shooting club that I coach lost the use a large walk-in safe where we had been storing our rifles and pistols. We are now using several large "regular" safes. We need to store 50-75 international style .22 pistols and air pistols in a safe and the normal safe interiors make this nearly impossible. I have been trying to find a multi-drawer cabinet to put in a safe that will take up, as close as possible, all the interior space so that none is wasted. The drawers need to be short in height (3"-6"), again so there is little wasted space (the pistols can be stored laying down horizontally, or sitting up beween drawer dividers). Does anyone have an idea where such a cabinet might be obtained or has anyone else had the same problem and found a solution?

Gordy Sievers

Post by Gordy Sievers »

: About four years ago the college shooting club that I coach lost the use a large walk-in safe where we had been storing our rifles and pistols. We are now using several large "regular" safes. We need to store 50-75 international style .22 pistols and air pistols in a safe and the normal safe interiors make this nearly impossible. I have been trying to find a multi-drawer cabinet to put in a safe that will take up, as close as possible, all the interior space so that none is wasted. The drawers need to be short in height (3"-6"), again so there is little wasted space (the pistols can be stored laying down horizontally, or sitting up beween drawer dividers). Does anyone have an idea where such a cabinet might be obtained or has anyone else had the same problem and found a solution?

rustydog-at-Huxcomm.net.45493.44717
Gordy Sievers

Post by Gordy Sievers »

: : About four years ago the college shooting club that I coach lost the use a large walk-in safe where we had been storing our rifles and pistols. We are now using several large "regular" safes. We need to store 50-75 international style .22 pistols and air pistols in a safe and the normal safe interiors make this nearly impossible. I have been trying to find a multi-drawer cabinet to put in a safe that will take up, as close as possible, all the interior space so that none is wasted. The drawers need to be short in height (3"-6"), again so there is little wasted space (the pistols can be stored laying down horizontally, or sitting up beween drawer dividers). Does anyone have an idea where such a cabinet might be obtained or has anyone else had the same problem and found a solution?
Contact Zanotti Armor @ Waterloo,IA. They will build a custom interior for their gun safes, including drawers.
rustydog-at-Huxcomm.net.45494.45493