standard pistols

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Jessie M

standard pistols

Post by Jessie M »

Hi guys,
Thinking of taking up standard pistol shooting. Any good models to recommend? $ is not a problem.
Must be relatively problem free as well as easy to maintain and clean after each session.
Thanks
Jessie
phil

Re: standard pistols

Post by phil »

One of the best is probably the Pardini SP. Very good accuracy, ver< good balance, excellent trigger and easy to dismount (1 screw).
Only one restriction, do not use Eley ammo with the new bullet shape (Tenex, Pistol Xtra).
phbeauverd-at-vtxnet.ch.45445.45442
Mark

Post by Mark »

I would also go with a Pardini SP. In fact, I did. Very reliable, more so than my Walther was. I like that it's a relatively simple and smart design (ejector integrated into the magazine lip is just one their cool ideas). As long as you're not talking about ripping it all the way apart to get at the internals, cleaning is relatively simple, with one big hex head bold holding in the barrel and bolt assembly.
Even though it's on the cheaper end, I think it's great!
: Hi guys,
: Thinking of taking up standard pistol shooting. Any good models to recommend? $ is not a problem.
: Must be relatively problem free as well as easy to maintain and clean after each session.
: Thanks
: Jessie

Tony T.

Post by Tony T. »

A lot depends on your preference of grip angle. If you shoot with a bent wrist, the Paardini SP would be a good choice. If you prefer a straighter grip angle then the Walther GSp is an excellent choice.
Having owned both the Walther GSP is undeniavly more reliable. My Walther GSp feeds all brands of ammo including cheappie practise ammo)flawlessly.
The PardiniSP is a bit fussier with ammo and since the ejctor is built into the magazine you can experience some ejection difficulties with paerticular brands.
The other plus of the Walther GSP is the interchangeable triggers and conversion units for 32 S&WL or 22 Short.
Good luck
Tony
ajtaraszk-at-aol.com.45451.45442
walt young

Post by walt young »

take a good look at the Morini.
Mike McDaniel

Post by Mike McDaniel »

Try the Hitchiker's Guide to Shooting Glory at Pilkguns.com. They've got an article on SP, with a very lengthy description of your choices.
Right now, I shoot a Hammerli 208s. If I were buying (and had no state restrictions on what I could/could not buy), it would be a tossup between a FWB AW-93 and a Hammerli SP-20.

HMSLion-at-aol.com.45455.45442
Greg Derr

Post by Greg Derr »

Try looking for an FAS. Low barrel, easy to use, function and is light weight. Either a 602 or the newer 607.One of the best designs for the Standard Pistol. Greg Derr
Paul Benneche

Post by Paul Benneche »

Pardini, Walther or Hammerli are my top three, in no particular order. Have used the SPE, SP, GSP, 208, 215 and 280. If you use the factory grips, it comes down to what feels the best. If you have custom grips made then they are really pretty much equal.
Have also used Unique and liked the feel of them, but found the magazines hard to load, the rear sight hard to adjust and the lock time a little slow with the heavy hammer.
If you get a Pardini, be careful not to put any pressure on the rear sight if you are working on the gun upside down on the bench (such as taking off the grips). It will bend the windage adjustment screw and you will have elevation changes when moving the windage.
peb-at-virginia.edu.45463.45442
Raub

Post by Raub »

I´ve been shooting with an old FN and will go for an new Standard pistol. holding the GSp was impressive and it´s the Standard for every other Standard pistol. But I think the handle of the bolt is much to small. But the exchange system to 32 SW is very easy.
But I´m happy to read the good opinions about the Pardini. I´m really into the Fp K22 by Pardini, and a colleague is shooting the Pardini .45, which works so smooth.
the AW 93 has a very good reputation but no one does use it, beside others because of the number of parts and the sensitive surface.
Raub
uraub-at-web.de.45464.45442
DelMar

Post by DelMar »

Just wandering why Eric Bouljon used a Hammerli 208 to establish his world record in SP.
AB

Post by AB »

Do you mean sport pistol. Sport pistol is really just one shot at a time, so all the engineering for recoil management in the standard pistols dosn't count for any thing.

David Levene

Post by David Levene »

: Just wandering why Eric Bouljon used a Hammerli 208 to establish his world record in SP.
I would imagine that it was because it was a top class pistol at the time. But remember, the gun was just a tool. It was the man that shot the record.

dalevene-at-blueyonder.co.uk.45480.45471
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

: Do you mean sport pistol. Sport pistol is really just one shot at a time, so all the engineering for recoil management in the standard pistols dosn't count for any thing.

Erich Buljung's record is for Standard Pistol. Sport Pistol (now known as 25m Pistol) has never been an ISSF (UIT) event for men.
dalevene-at-blueyonder.co.uk.45481.45478