IZH 35 is not feeding correctly

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Jeff

IZH 35 is not feeding correctly

Post by Jeff »

I just bought a new IZH 35 a couple of days ago from a local dealer. The gun is an 03 which came with all the usual stuff. Before I took it out for a test drive I oiled all the moving parts down because the gun was completely dry. At the range I loaded up both mags which were numbered 1 & 2 along with the serial number of the gun on each. I fired the gun once and squeezed the trigger to fire the second shoot and 'click'???? Miss-fire, maybe???? I pulled the slide back to inpect the chamber only to find that the gun failed to load the second round from the magazine. This happened time after time. Also, if the bolt managed to draw a round from the magazine it often didn't sit the round completely in the chamber. Out of 250 rounds the gun managed to fire only one complete string of 5 without a failure to load. I was using CCI Blazers.
Jeff.Marks-at-bellsouth.com.44085.0
Jay V

Re: IZH 35 is not feeding correctly

Post by Jay V »

: ...I pulled the slide back to inspect the chamber only to find that the gun failed to load the second round from the magazine...I was using CCI Blazers.

I would say the problem is most likely the ammo. The gun is designed for target-velocity ammo (CCI STD), not the higher velocity ammos like Blazer. CCI Standard works well for me, as does Eley and Wolf/SK Jagd. I wouldn't use any Federal ammo. Continued use of high-velocity ammo would probably damage the gun.
Let us know if the ammo was the problem.

Jay

DW

Post by DW »

Also, simply oiling your izh may not really have solved the problem. Even after 2 thourough cleanings, I was still finding metal shavings in mine. I finnaly mixed up a batch of Ed's Red and soaked the gun overnight. that seemed to dislodge much of the gunk. Keep in mind, the neo-reds...sorry, I mean russians, make a fine, low cost target gun (price was likely a reason for your purchase). To do this, they do not waste any time or effort on parts of the gun that do not directly effect shooting the gun. This includes clean up.
Jay is, however, most likely correct. Ammo is key on this gun. CCI standard shoots fine in mine. Also, if you are looking for even cheaper target ammo, try aguila standard or pmc scoremaster if you can find it. Both are cheap and seem to shoot fine in my izh. Jay is quite right, stay away from federal in this gun. It caused serious and frequent double fires in my izh.
good luck and have fun with your new gun.
: : ...I pulled the slide back to inspect the chamber only to find that the gun failed to load the second round from the magazine...I was using CCI Blazers.

: I would say the problem is most likely the ammo. The gun is designed for target-velocity ammo (CCI STD), not the higher velocity ammos like Blazer. CCI Standard works well for me, as does Eley and Wolf/SK Jagd. I wouldn't use any Federal ammo. Continued use of high-velocity ammo would probably damage the gun.
: Let us know if the ammo was the problem.
:
: Jay

westberg-at-comcast.net.44088.44087
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

: Also, simply oiling your izh may not really have solved the problem. Even after 2 thourough cleanings, I was still finding metal shavings in mine. I finnaly mixed up a batch of Ed's Red and soaked the gun overnight. that seemed to dislodge much of the gunk. Keep in mind, the neo-reds...sorry, I mean russians, make a fine, low cost target gun (price was likely a reason for your purchase). To do this, they do not waste any time or effort on parts of the gun that do not directly effect shooting the gun. This includes clean up.
: Jay is, however, most likely correct. Ammo is key on this gun. CCI standard shoots fine in mine. Also, if you are looking for even cheaper target ammo, try aguila standard or pmc scoremaster if you can find it. Both are cheap and seem to shoot fine in my izh. Jay is quite right, stay away from federal in this gun. It caused serious and frequent double fires in my izh.
: good luck and have fun with your new gun.
: : : ...I pulled the slide back to inspect the chamber only to find that the gun failed to load the second round from the magazine...I was using CCI Blazers.
:
: : I would say the problem is most likely the ammo. The gun is designed for target-velocity ammo (CCI STD), not the higher velocity ammos like Blazer. CCI Standard works well for me, as does Eley and Wolf/SK Jagd. I wouldn't use any Federal ammo. Continued use of high-velocity ammo would probably damage the gun.
: : Let us know if the ammo was the problem.
: :
: : Jay
I called EAA and the technical rep recommended the same thing. I'll try using CCI Standard Velocity and/or Wolf tonight. Thanks
jeff.marks-at-bellsouth.com.44089.44088
TomF

Post by TomF »

I had exactly the same problem. Here is the solution:
Take the magazine and drive the pin out holding the bottom of the magazine in.
Now you will have to get a screwdriver and work/pry the bottom plate out of the magazine. A little on one side and a little on the other. Be gentle and take your time. The holes for the drift pin are countersunk with a stamp and make removing the bottom plate difficult but not impossible.
Now pull the spring out and make note of which way the end of the spring is pointing(forward) and stretch it to approximately 3x the length of the magazine.
Now clean the magazine real good and stuff the spring back in the way it came out and put the bottom back and the drift pin back.
It will feed near perfect now.
But you should also take a deburring tool and go over the underside of the magazine lips to get any rough spots or burrs off.
This has been the solution to all six of my magazines. And I got the info from this board.
Good luck!
: I just bought a new IZH 35 a couple of days ago from a local dealer. The gun is an 03 which came with all the usual stuff. Before I took it out for a test drive I oiled all the moving parts down because the gun was completely dry. At the range I loaded up both mags which were numbered 1 & 2 along with the serial number of the gun on each. I fired the gun once and squeezed the trigger to fire the second shoot and 'click'???? Miss-fire, maybe???? I pulled the slide back to inpect the chamber only to find that the gun failed to load the second round from the magazine. This happened time after time. Also, if the bolt managed to draw a round from the magazine it often didn't sit the round completely in the chamber. Out of 250 rounds the gun managed to fire only one complete string of 5 without a failure to load. I was using CCI Blazers.

shootingsports-at-ev1.net.44097.44085
Doofus

Post by Doofus »

You don't use Blazer ammo unless you have a plinking rifle---try CCI Blue in the plastic 100's---if that don't do it---I'll be surprised---try flushing the mags out with Bore Blaster---there is a lot of crud in those mags---then lubricate the mags with graphite. My 2001 has functioned flawlessly out of the box with CCI Blue---and is still going strong without any anomolies. Contrary to it's rough & rugged appearance this gun will NOT eat all ammo.
Jerry Endres

Post by Jerry Endres »

I have an "03" gun and experienced the same problem with feeding and it was because of the weak spring in the magazine. I took the pin out of the side of the magazine which allows the follower to come out of the top (with a little effort.) Stretch the spring and reassemble. Mine has been working just fine.

: You don't use Blazer ammo unless you have a plinking rifle---try CCI Blue in the plastic 100's---if that don't do it---I'll be surprised---try flushing the mags out with Bore Blaster---there is a lot of crud in those mags---then lubricate the mags with graphite. My 2001 has functioned flawlessly out of the box with CCI Blue---and is still going strong without any anomolies. Contrary to it's rough & rugged appearance this gun will NOT eat all ammo.

j.endres-at-cox.net.45397.44098