Savage Stock Modifications

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

AimAccuracy

Savage Stock Modifications

Post by AimAccuracy »

My club looked at a number of different options for the Savage MK II FVT for stock and decided to work with a 3d printer expert to add to the factory stock instead. This is sight risers, forend rail, adjustable cheekpiece, adjustable buttplate that extends out with butthook. We didn't do anything to the stock itself, so no holes drilled or major modifications just used existing screw holes and mounts.

We can't afford to buy an Anschutz for every new shooter so this seemed like a good opportunity to try out our ideas which is an inexpensive kit that could be added to the MK II to turn it into more of a 3p or position gun. We built about 5 for our club, and thinking that if others would use maybe produce them. Any interest in something like this?
Attachments
hook.jpg
handstop.jpg
full kit.jpg
DGIDE

Re: Savage Stock Modifications

Post by DGIDE »

What was the cost per part? Really interested in the butt hook. Thanks.
dadmolder

Post by dadmolder »

That's what it all comes down to is cost per rifle.
Our 4H club has 10 of these so $50 per or $200 per makes a difference.
I will commend you for your effort.
Makes a huge difference in making the rifle user friendly.
AimAccuracy

Post by AimAccuracy »

Thank you to you both for the feedback. Totally understand and agree on the cost per rifle, our club has about 25 Savages a combination of MKI and MKII's. Cost per part is not where we want it to be since it's all prototype. We have probably 400 hours of design time into all the components and the total kit that you see on the rifle there is about 48 hours of 3d printer time just for one kit. That is lot of printer time and not really feasible to get a whole bunch of these in the hands of clubs and individual shooters so we actually are now looking at other production methods.

The good part is we have found that not every rifle needs a full kit right out of the gate. The new kids that are only shooting prone would only need a forend for sling tension and an adjustable up down butt plate (maybe a hook) for getting a good shoulder seat. As they advance we add in components like butthook carrier for LOP and sight risers and cheekpiece. We have been testing it out for about the last 6 months and are actually looking for some clubs in Washington to get more feedback. I have been coaching youth rifle for the last 6 years and know how hard it is to get people started when an Anschutz, jacket, pants, scope, offhand stand, glove and all the rest present a pretty steep price. So if we can buy 3-4 Savages and get them outfitted for the price of one Anschutz, that's a good thing.
JDMANN

Post by JDMANN »

Excellent work!
AimAccuracy

Post by AimAccuracy »

Thanks! Hoping this can get a lot more people into shooting sports. I have attached a couple of close up rails to see the carrier and rail setup. The sight risers are a 10mm to get the head position more upright.
Attachments
close up rail.jpg
close up carrier.jpg
frodo9mm

Post by frodo9mm »

AimAccuracy -

Very Cool. Nice design!

I think there would be interest in it if these were available for order. I would buy between 5 and 10 sets over the course of a season.

I recently made a Anschutz 1903 Jr Stock for my son's Mark I. No easy endeavor, but very rewarding. However, not practical for multiple club guns at this point.

Please keep us posted on your progress! Looks nice!

Where is the link to place the order?

Best Regards,
Fletch
(Frodo9mm)
frodo9mm

Post by frodo9mm »

Thank you, Spekr - That is an option, and the price point is good for the quality imho.

However, for 4H Youth 3 Position, it does not have a rail on the forearm for the handstop/sling.

Other than that, I do like it a lot, and it comes closer than many options, and can is readily available.

Thank you for the info and for Sharing!

Best Regards,
Fletch