Walther LP300 - tightness of cylinder with pressure

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Walnut92

Walther LP300 - tightness of cylinder with pressure

Post by Walnut92 »

I have acquired a Walther LP300, which I was lent. When I first received it to try, it was charged to about 200bar.

I shot it down to about 100 bar. Cylinder unscrewed easily and freely.

I've just recharged it to 250 and it is almost impossible to screw the cylinder on fully - the face of the cyl is about 0.5-1.0mm away from the body. It does work correctly however. The green band on the pressure gauge goes up to 300 bar on this gun.

I let the air down to about 100 bar and it screws on easily. Brought it up to 150 bar - same.

Haven't brought it back up to a higher pressure again yet as seeking guidance.

Can anyone who has one tell me if this is normal for the tightening to be that much harder at higher pressures?

(Please only reply if you actually have - or have had - one!)
RJP

Re: Walther LP300 - tightness of cylinder with pressure

Post by RJP »

I have owned an LP300 for about 15 years now. It came with 2 cylinders when new. One cylinder developed a crack in the side wall of the cylinder within a year and was replaced under warranty. The other cylinder just refused to hold any pressure after 8 years of use to 250 bar.

I am still using the replacement cylinder even though I am past the 10 year expiration date.

The cost of repairing a cylinder will most likely be almost the same as buying a new cylinder. I found that filling above 200 bar to be of little value.

I would just keep using the cylinder at whatever pressure where it will still work. I am sure it will fail eventually, so if you want no interruption in your shooting, get a new cylinder now and keep it on standby until the old cylinder fails.

I would not be concerned about catastrophic failure as most failures I have heard of develop a slow leak first and then just do not hold any air pressure.

Also, about 2 years ago Pilkguns resealed my LP300 and it works just fine. There is very little that the newest generation of AP have over my older LP300.
spektr

Post by spektr »

I would make sure you are using a good silicone oil the threads. The valve needs to be depressed on the cylinder to work, and dry threads makes screwing it together more difficult
Walnut92

Post by Walnut92 »

Thanks both.

Am using a dab of silicone now, and will keep running it at ca. 150bar where it is completely happy.

It is well out of date so I’ve ordered a spare in case.