Air Pistol Speed

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
10rita

Air Pistol Speed

Post by 10rita »

I'm a complete newbie to Air Pistol, but looking at the Air Venturi V10 to get started. Info on this pistol shows 400fps and I have no clue is that is a good speed for 10 meter targets. Any comments on this pistol or that speed greatly appreciated.

Bill
Star7

Re: Air Pistol Speed

Post by Star7 »

The 400fps velocity is adequate to stabilize the pellet given a good barrel, crown and so on. the catch is the target. The NRA targets are so sorry that a clean hole is almost impossible to get at less than 600fps. Krugers are better but I like edelmann best. If you keep the kruger and edelmann targets fairly dry 400fps should be just fine. If you get teardrop shaped holes, warm your oven up to 200F, turn it off and stick the targets inside as it cools. Then use a zip lock bag and they should give round holes.

EDIT I incorrectly wrote "NRA targets" when I should have written National Targets they are dreadful.
Last edited by Star7 on Sat May 04, 2019 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Stop looking at the Air Venturi V10.
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

The Air Venturi V10 is a rebranded Gamo Compact. Had one for a few years and sold it with no regrets. The ideal speed for 10 meter air pistol shooting should be around 500 fps. I would recommend older match pistols (FWB 65/80/C20/100 series, I know, I am starting to sound like Rover, hahaha) as your first pistol. When you eventually progress, you can sell the pistol for same price you bought it for and upgrade to a PCP if you desire.
Star7

Post by Star7 »

If cost is the limiting factor, you might try a good used "Avanti" (aka Daisy) 747 or 777. I have one pushing 20yo and it still makes me smile.
A Tau 7 run on CO2 cartridges may also fit your budget.