Steyr LP 50 upgrades?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
northpaw

Steyr LP 50 upgrades?

Post by northpaw »

Bought a new Steyr LP 5 shortly before the LP 50 was introduced. The LP 5 has served me well, no issues, but I´ve been told the trigger unit of the LP 50 is improved relative to that of the LP 5. Have been offered a second hand LP 50, but it´s some 8 years old.
- Have the trigger units of the LP 50 been upgraded since its introduction?
- The LP 50 now have a vented barrel,- did the LP 50 feature a vented barrel when it was introduced som 10 years ago, or was that added later on?
- Pros and cons of vented barrel for the LP 50? Consumes some more air for same pellet velocity, I guess?
Frenzy81

Re: Steyr LP 50 upgrades?

Post by Frenzy81 »

I've had two LP50's, and the basic design has stayed the same, to my recollection!
My first was a 2008 mechanical, and the current is a 2015 electronic trigger version.

The only thing I know has changed in the trigger unit is the spring used for adjusting the trigger weight. The later springs are adjustable from 450 - 1050 g while the one in the earlier versions has a smaller range, something around 300 - 500 - I don't remember exactly. Any Steyr dealer will have the new springs available though, and it was a small job replacing it myself. I actually got the spring for free from the UK dealer (Preston) during the Welsh Open - "compliments of Steyr" :)

With that being said, there are still 2-3 shooters in my club using the LP5. But they use LP10's as their primary air pistol, around 80% of our competitions are 60/40 shot matches, while we have some falling plate / air standard competitions which require a 5 shot gun.