Eyesight, Glasses, and Sight picture.

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Rob

Eyesight, Glasses, and Sight picture.

Post by Rob »

Last week I posted a question asking about shooting glasses for air rifle. My corrective prescription is -1.25, an I wanted some advice about shooting glasses. Yesterday I tried shooting without my glasses. My sight picture changed for the better I think. The front sight remained crisp, but the rear sight, which had always been fuzzy, was now crisp also. I am a novice so I'm not shooting all tens or oven all 8's, bu to my surprise I shot several 5 shot groups that were all within the 7 ring. Without my glasses, the target becomes very fuzzy very quickly, it seems difficult to determine how well the bull is centered in the front sight.
So the dilema is the following:
Should I?
A.)Shoot without my glasses and monitor my progress
B.)Shoot with my glasses and forget about a fuzzy ear sight, or
C.)Buy shooting glasses with a lower degree of correction than my normal glasses.
Any other suggestions?
Rob
Gary

Re: Eyesight, Glasses, and Sight picture.

Post by Gary »

I would go C.
A is OK if you are not straining your eyes to make out the target. It is one thing to have a fuzzy target, another to struggle to see it, which it sounds like it might be. If it is difficult to see the target, you need optical correction so you don't strain your eye muscles trying.
I am guessing what happened is since you could not focus on the target, you concentrated on the front sight, as you should.

For C. Glasses will let you tune your vision better, so the front sight is still in focus and the target "just" out of focus, and still not straining to see it. And if you use shooting glasses (vs regular glasses) you can properly center the optical center of the glasses for shooting, as you don't aim out of the optical center of the lens of a regular glasses.
Gary

: Last week I posted a question asking about shooting glasses for air rifle. My corrective prescription is -1.25, an I wanted some advice about shooting glasses. Yesterday I tried shooting without my glasses. My sight picture changed for the better I think. The front sight remained crisp, but the rear sight, which had always been fuzzy, was now crisp also. I am a novice so I'm not shooting all tens or oven all 8's, bu to my surprise I shot several 5 shot groups that were all within the 7 ring. Without my glasses, the target becomes very fuzzy very quickly, it seems difficult to determine how well the bull is centered in the front sight.
: So the dilema is the following:
: Should I?
: A.)Shoot without my glasses and monitor my progress
: B.)Shoot with my glasses and forget about a fuzzy ear sight, or
: C.)Buy shooting glasses with a lower degree of correction than my normal glasses.
: Any other suggestions?
: Rob

Don

Re: Eyesight, Glasses, and Sight picture.

Post by Don »

: Last week I posted a question asking about shooting glasses for air rifle. My corrective prescription is -1.25, an I wanted some advice about shooting glasses. Yesterday I tried shooting without my glasses. My sight picture changed for the better I think. The front sight remained crisp, but the rear sight, which had always been fuzzy, was now crisp also. I am a novice so I'm not shooting all tens or oven all 8's, bu to my surprise I shot several 5 shot groups that were all within the 7 ring. Without my glasses, the target becomes very fuzzy very quickly, it seems difficult to determine how well the bull is centered in the front sight.
: So the dilema is the following:
: Should I?
: C.)Buy shooting glasses with a lower degree of correction than my normal glasses.
: Any other suggestions?
: Rob
Rob: The less you have to fool with, the better. I have always contended that the simpler, the better, in most cases. If you can see the sights clearly, and the bull is fuzzy, that is okay. With a little work, you will come to figure out how to center the "fuzzy" blob to get good results. Take some time and work on it.
Spencer C

What age group are you

Post by Spencer C »

It makes a difference to the complete answer to your question.
Rob

I'm 35 n.t.

Post by Rob »

nt

Spencer C

For a 35 year old...

Post by Spencer C »

The reason I asked about your age is to make sure you are not still young enough to have that marvelous ability of the young to change the focus in the eye rapidly enough to give the impression that they can focus on the target, front sight and rear sight at the same time (they cannot overcome the laws of physics)
Shooting without eye protection is a no-no! Even for air and rimfire.
It is unlikely that you can sight through the perpendicular axis of the lens od 'normal' glasses when in the shooting position - you don't need any extra problems like parallax. Additionally, if the rear sight is 'crisp' the power of your glasses sounds a bit too strong.
Yep! This is the way to go.
Shooting glasses will enable you to;
- sight through the axis of the lens,
- have a comparatively economical route to change the lens as your eyes change (they will with time)
- have some reasonable eye protection.
Find out from the club members if there is a shooter friendly optometrist in the area and get a lens for the front sight distance (the rule-of-thumb method of 1/2 dioptre less than reading glasses / 1/2 dioptre more than distance glasses makes a lot of assumptions that might not apply to you).
Spencer