recoil absorber purpose? follow through?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Rover

Re: recoil absorber purpose? follow through?

Post by Rover »

This kind of goes back to the old...

To TurboComp or not to Comp: that is the question:

Whether 'tis better to suffer the sucks and mocking laughter of hideous performance,

Or to take up gadgets and hope to end them? To put the gun to sleep;

or let it rear like wounded stallion.... etc.
stephen_maly

Post by stephen_maly »

I just thought I'd remove the stabilizer for the heck of it and to see if it makes a noticeable difference. I prefer the feel with the recoil. Besides, the stabilizer is only activated with a live shot. It doesn't occur with dry firing.
scerir

Post by scerir »

The question might be the following. Does the absorber improve the score? Frankly I do not know. But I do not think that.
Old10MShooter

Post by Old10MShooter »

I shoot a FWB P8X as well. The absorber works very well with this air pistol and helps in calling the shot and follow-through.

Now, with a lower recoiling air pistol and if you are process-oriented (Mastery shooter) and not result oriented (ego shooter) - from the book, Bullseye Mind, then an absorber helps in continuing with your sight alignment after the shot has been taken - a good follow-through. You can still see the flip of the front sight and its alignment with the target bullseye and the rear sights when the shot breaks and after, with a good absorber. The other advantage of the absorber is that you get instant feedback if you have a loose or bent wrist or if the pressure by your fingers on the grips is uneven. The result can easily be noted during follow-through as the muzzle flip is not excessive (with a non-absorber AP, it is highly intensified).

I may had a faulty Walther LP400 but since it did not have an absorber, the muzzle flip / recoil was pretty bad and the shot placement was less forgiving than with a P8X. However, it did help me with grip pressure and the muzzle wobble as the air pistol was light and the grips were thinner (having a good grip leads in positive triggering).

Having two air pistols - one with absorber and one without, would greatly assist with your shot process. You need to try shooting the air pistol without the absorber occasionally to check how your shot process has improved or where it can be improved - this is best done with an Electronic trainer like SCATT that gives you feedback on your hold and recoil.

The absorber does not mask your faults completely in air pistol when compared to air rifle primarily because as air pistol is unsupported when compared to air rifle and there is a lot more muzzle wobble with the air pistol (fulcrum is in the grip). In air rifle, it is true that an absorber masks the recoil, especially with heavy barrel weights but you can still call the shot - depending on your concentration.

Just my two cents. Enjoy shooting your P8X!
scerir

Post by scerir »

Céline Goberville https://www.facebook.com/CelineGobervilleTirOfficiel/ writes (see FB post 30 Oct. 2018) "I tested the pierced barrel in 2015 and a different relaxation block (faster): not seen a difference on the relaxation block, the pierced barrel I had not loved too much because there is almost no more weapon reaction. I like the for this reaction, I build my shot on this reaction."

Now Céline is a CM 162 El (now CM 102 El) shooter, and those pistols do not use "absorbers". But the point is that she "builds" her shots precisely on the reaction of the pistol.