Air Rifle Trainer

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

sjstp

Air Rifle Trainer

Post by sjstp »

I would like to buy an air rifle to train for my small bore shooting when I cannot go to the range. My only experience with air guns is with cheap ones I had as a boy. The rifles I find online for 10 meter are too expensive for me at this time.

Is there a rifle that costs around $500 that has accuracy, sights and a trigger that are good enough to provide meaningful practice?

I will have to purchase online as there are no stores in my area that would carry one.

Thank you.
gspell68

Re: Air Rifle Trainer

Post by gspell68 »

A decent precision rifle is about triple you budget.
This is the best sporter rifle out there at $565.
http://www.champchoice.com/store/Main.a ... em=CH2009S
It comes with a Walther barrel and upgraded precision style sights.
The trigger is adjustable down to about 1½ pounds (up at the high end of a smallbore trigger), maybe less if you work on the trigger assembly.
But you'd also need a high pressure hand pump at a minimum to fill it, so plan on another $200.
Scott Pell
gspell68@gmail.com
Augusta, Georgia
sjstp

Post by sjstp »

Thank you. In my research on line I had been looking at the Challenger along with the Airforce Edge as the possible rifles to choose in the next price range.

The one I did find in my price range was the Avanti 887 Gold Medal, at a little under $500. I do understand I need to spend more for air on top of the gun price, along with pellets. Do you have an opinion on the Avanti?
marky-d

Post by marky-d »

The trigger will be a disappointment on the Avanti. There are ways to clean it up so it's usable, but if you are looking for something to match a good smallbore rifle, you'll need to look elsewhere. On the other hand, if you want to learn better trigger control, they are quite accurate.

marky-d
sjstp

Post by sjstp »

Thank you, that is what I needed to know.
spektr

Post by spektr »

+1 on the challenger. It is sold with and without sights, make sure you order it the right way.
So many are out there that it can't be a fluke they shoot so well.
69Dart

Post by 69Dart »

For about $500 you can pick up a FWB 300 or for $650 or so you can find a 600 series FWB. The 300 is a springer and the 600 series are single stroke pneumatic and both are very accurate.
jckstrthmghty

Post by jckstrthmghty »

69Dart wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:18 am For about $500 you can pick up a FWB 300 or for $650 or so you can find a 600 series FWB. The 300 is a springer and the 600 series are single stroke pneumatic and both are very accurate.
+1

No need for co2 or hpa fills either.
sjstp

Post by sjstp »

Well, all of this has me considering getting a bit more serious. The idea of shooting in my back yard is becoming appealing, as I now drive a good bit to get to the range and I go often. So, I am now upping the ante as far as window shopping and am comparing the Hammerli AR20 with the Airforce Edge. About a $200 difference.

I do think I want to avoid having to pump the rifle between shots and just concentrate on loading and shooting so I want to stay with PCP or CO2.

Thank you all for your help. Any additional comments on these two rifles, or others in the $1,000 range will be appreciated.