FAS 609 air pistol

Post by Greg Derr »

Any reviews by current owners? How do they rate for a new AP shooter? Greg
Jay V

Re: FAS 609 air pistol

Post by Jay V »

: Any reviews by current owners? How do they rate for a new AP shooter? Greg

Hi Greg,
The 6 or 7 of them that are in our club have been mostly trouble-free, but I have had to do some work on one recently. There is little factory help when there is a problem, but Warren Potter's brother Rob knows his way around them well, and has helped me get it up and running. I like the design, and the quality is good. They have a Morini grip with a lot of palm-swell, and the grips tends to run a bit large. They are barrel-light, but it's not difficult to add weight to the front.
A new FAS 609 is a good deal for the price, but a good used Steyr or Morini may be a better choice for just a bit more.

Jay Vergenz
IL
www.aiac-airguns.org

jverg-at-att.net.45207.45191
Tim Guest

Post by Tim Guest »

Hi,
I've had a new FAS AP609 about 2 months now. I think it is a genuinely good pisto for the money. However, my main concern is that the trigger characteristics tend to change significantly during use, which have led to having to squeeze harder (and losing accuracy as a result). On a couple of occasions, after raising the pistol and squeezing past the first stage, I've lowered the pistol to compose myself and on the slightest pressure at all on the trigger blade the pistol has fired. This was frustrating and dangerous.
As a result, I've 'fiddled' with the trigger alot since. I say fidled because there are too many points of adjustment for my understanding and experience. However, without losing the two stage action I've really got the pistol working better, more consistently (though still not always) and, to-date, no more unexpected firing.
I'd be interested to know whether anyone else has had th same experience with their trigger characteristics changing.
Tim.
: : Any reviews by current owners? How do they rate for a new AP shooter? Greg
:
: Hi Greg,
: The 6 or 7 of them that are in our club have been mostly trouble-free, but I have had to do some work on one recently. There is little factory help when there is a problem, but Warren Potter's brother Rob knows his way around them well, and has helped me get it up and running. I like the design, and the quality is good. They have a Morini grip with a lot of palm-swell, and the grips tends to run a bit large. They are barrel-light, but it's not difficult to add weight to the front.
: A new FAS 609 is a good deal for the price, but a good used Steyr or Morini may be a better choice for just a bit more.
:
: Jay Vergenz
: IL
: www.aiac-airguns.org

tim.guest-at-ntlworld.com.45255.45207
Jay V

Post by Jay V »

: Hi,
: I've had a new FAS AP609 about 2 months now. I think it is a genuinely good pisto for the money. However, my main concern is that the trigger characteristics tend to change significantly during use, which have led to having to squeeze harder (and losing accuracy as a result). On a couple of occasions, after raising the pistol and squeezing past the first stage, I've lowered the pistol to compose myself and on the slightest pressure at all on the trigger blade the pistol has fired. This was frustrating and dangerous.
: As a result, I've 'fiddled' with the trigger alot since. I say fidled because there are too many points of adjustment for my understanding and experience. However, without losing the two stage action I've really got the pistol working better, more consistently (though still not always) and, to-date, no more unexpected firing.
: I'd be interested to know whether anyone else has had th same experience with their trigger characteristics changing.

That type of trigger problem is common after the first few thousand rounds from what I have seen. Some of our guns have failed to stay cocked after the first couple months of shooting. The sear engagement needs a slight adjustment (screw 6, if I recall). Just a little, like 1/64 of a rotation clock-wise - at the most. Be very careful if you change anything else, as it can be very difficult to get things correct again. After the initial sear engagement adjustment they have been fine (other than the one that was leaking).

Jay Vergenz
IL
www.aiac-airguns.org
jverg-at-att.net.45259.45255