need advice for spotting scope

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

40xguy

need advice for spotting scope

Post by 40xguy »

I'm presently using a KOWA spotting scope (model TSN 661) which has a 66 mm objective lens, with 25 power magnification for smallbore shooting (prone). Problem is, at 100 yards, I'm having trouble seeing the holes. After looking at so many scopes, I don't know what to do. Eye relief is very important and I'm thinking I need more magnification, but how much more is the question. If anyone has any thoughts or advice, I'd sure appreciate it. Thanks in advance.
Last edited by 40xguy on Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Hammer to shape, file to fit, paint to match...
Pat McCoy

Re: need advice for spotting scope

Post by Pat McCoy »

You don't say which KOWA you are using, but more power is not always the answer. Sometimes the answer is in larger objective lens (letting in more light). See if you can find someone with a Kowa with a larger 80-85mm objective that you can look through.

I can see bullet holes at 100 yards with at 15 power Lyman STS rifle scope, while others cannot see the holes with their 24 power scopes. Quality of the optics is mor4e important than power.
RByars

Post by RByars »

You need to look at your target (pun intended). If you are putting your target on cardboard or on top of other targets then the holes are harder to see. Even if there is nothing directly behind the target , is background dark? This makes seeing holes harder. A backer or any light colored material 6+ inches behind your will make it easier to see your holes. If you are placing your target on cardboard cut holes in the cardboard behind the bulls. You have a really good scope and shouldn’t have problem seeing holes if you do one of the actions above.
Martin H

Post by Martin H »

40xguy wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:24 pm I'm presently using a KOWA spotting scope (model TSN 661) which has a 66 mm objective lens, with 25 power magnification for smallbore shooting (prone).
The Kowa TSN 661 is a very good scope. I have exactly the same scope with a 20x-60x eye piece and can see .22 bullet holes at 100 yards no problems. I usually use 40X so I suspect you may need more magnification. As someone has also pointed out, a dark background behind the targets will make it more difficult to see bullet holes as well. We find a white card approx 1 metre behind the target helps.
Cheers
Martin
NuJudge

Post by NuJudge »

Are you allowed to do anything to make your bullet holes more visible? One of the High-power clubs I belong to will cut out the backing behind just the Bullseye on the 200 yard range and I can better see .223 holes.

I have a Kowa 82mm with 27X long eye relief eyepiece that's about 10 years old, and I can usually see .223 holes in a black bullseye at 100 yards. If there's no special efforts, I can not see them at 200 yards.

Try to find someone that has one to look through.
crankythunder

Post by crankythunder »

Good Morning:

I have that Kowa scope and I have two eyepieces, the 20 power LER eyepiece that I use with pistol and rifle up to 50 yards and then the adjustable eyepiece that is required to see bullet holes at 100 yards and 200 yards.

See if you can get a replacement eyepiece variable power for that scope.

Regards,
Crankster
40xguy

Post by 40xguy »

Crankster... not sure which eyepiece you're referring to. do you mean the zoom, which is 20 to 60 variable power? there are only 3 eyepieces available for this scope that I'm aware of (1) 25X LER (2) zoom (3) 30X wide angle. Thanks.
Hammer to shape, file to fit, paint to match...
crankythunder

Post by crankythunder »

I have the 25x LER and the zoom. My mistake had to go pull the scope out of the case and look.

The 25LER just is not good enough at 100 yards and is tuff at 50 yards in poor light. I crank it up to somewhere around 45 power where the balance between discernibility vs brightness is the most comfortable to my eye.

Cranky