Stance When Shooting B/40/4 Targets

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
B Lafferty

Stance When Shooting B/40/4 Targets

Post by B Lafferty »

When shifting from the left two bulls to the right bulls, or visa versa, do most shooters realign their stance by moving both feet "ahead" to compensate for the distance between left and right bulls (approx 7 inches) or might it be better (more efficient) to just shift one foot to change the angle to the target? Thanks.
"No mud; no Lotus."-- Thich Nhat Hanh
Rover

Re: Stance When Shooting B/40/4 Targets

Post by Rover »

Yes.
B Lafferty

Post by B Lafferty »

Rover wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:08 amYes.
Shift one foot? :-) I've been doing that and it seems to be the least time consuming.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Or you could bust a move, dude.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Dy1C95p00E
wrh1

Post by wrh1 »

The quick answer is yes, move both feet. By only adjusting one foot, you are ever so slightly changing your distance to the target and creating a bit of an angle on your shot. Scoot forward a few inches and you should be fine.

It's actually not really enough to make a huge difference, but 10m AP is a game of milimeters. I dont have near the ammount of experience of some shooters here, but if I start fiddling with the angle of my stance in the middle of a sting of 60 shots, I'm going to lose a degree of consistency. Consistency, which at the very least mentally, is key to my shooting well.
Rover

Post by Rover »

I'm certain WRH1 is mental.
wrh1

Post by wrh1 »

Rover wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:02 pm I'm certain WRH1 is mental.
That's what my wife keeps telling me!

In all seriousness, don't overthink it. If its easier for you, just shift one foot and call it good. Heck, maybe dont move at all!

All I know is if I keep getting hung up on something, whether its this, my front sight width, grip adjustment, or the type of TP I just used that morning, my scores go down. So pick something, go with your gut, stick with it, and just shoot.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTcBgs2huRo

If you're going to shoot, just shoot, don't post...

Try shooting without moving your feet, and then try it with moving your feet. Until your groups are tight enough to see a difference, work on the fundamentals. If you have access to an electronic trainer, you can use that to compare your wobble. Natural point of aim (NPA) in a slow fire event like air pistol is not super critical. If you align your NPA in the middle of the paper and you find that you tend to drift in that direction fro either side, then adjust by pivoting on your front foot and move your rear foot.
B Lafferty

Post by B Lafferty »

wrh1 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:26 pm

In all seriousness, don't overthink it. If its easier for you, just shift one foot and call it good. Heck, maybe dont move at all!

All I know is if I keep getting hung up on something, whether its this, my front sight width, grip adjustment, or the type of TP I just used that morning, my scores go down. So pick something, go with your gut, stick with it, and just shoot.
Wives can be divorced which leaves more time for shooting.........
I'm going to try both for two weeks each and plot the scores.
Rover

Post by Rover »

In my pompous opinion, wrh1 has it exactly right.
wrh1

Post by wrh1 »

B Lafferty wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:00 am
wrh1 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:26 pm

Wives can be divorced which leaves more time for shooting.........
I'm going to try both for two weeks each and plot the scores.
Hahaha now there's a thought! At this rate, my SCATT purchase is probably gonna be the straw that breaks the proverbial camel's back.

As to stance, nothing is universal. It could take weeks of experimentation and some knowledge of statistics to determine whether a change of angle vs a movement forward affects score in a significant manner (it won't). But again, if its something that's going to nag at you, try it both ways and report back what works.
B Lafferty

Post by B Lafferty »

I'm recovering from a minor shoulder injury in January while out on my snow shoes. The shoulder was really getting sore this week from shooting, so I tried opening my stance slightly which helped my shoulder and steadiness. With the more open stance it's easier to just shift one foot.

I also play a lot of chess and run the local adult chess club in my area. When I was married (until 5 years ago) my ex hated any leisure activity I would want to do. Why you ask? Undiagnosed borderline personality disorder. Her. Not me. She hated when a new chess set entered the house. I'd periodically order a new set of chessmen and wait for the reaction. Divorce and retirement have given me much time to do pleasurable things. :-)
Rover

Post by Rover »

I've noted that a few times myself!