Falling Target vs. Paper

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Val

Falling Target vs. Paper

Post by Val »

Suppose we have a falling target with the aperture diameter of 10mm. What would be the corresponding diameter of the ring on a paper target, assuming normal scoring system, and the 4.5mm caliber?
Pat McCoy

Re: Falling Target vs. Paper

Post by Pat McCoy »

Insufficient information given. What are the distances of the 10mm plate and the paer target?
If they are at the same distance, then they must be the same size.

patmccoyagency-at-hotmail.com.45227.45226
Val

Post by Val »

: Insufficient information given. What are the distances of the 10mm plate and the paer target?
Since the distance was not specified, it should be obvious (or so I thought), that the distance is the same.
: If they are at the same distance, then they must be the same size.
On paper, we have a hit if the hole touches the ring on the outside. But if the projectile touches the edge of the aperture from the outside, the projectile will not go through. Alternatively, if the projectile touches the edge of the aperture "from the inside", it might still fall through... or not?

Mike T.

Post by Mike T. »

: : Insufficient information given. What are the distances of the 10mm plate and the paer target?
: Since the distance was not specified, it should be obvious (or so I thought), that the distance is the same.
: : If they are at the same distance, then they must be the same size.
: On paper, we have a hit if the hole touches the ring on the outside. But if the projectile touches the edge of the aperture from the outside, the projectile will not go through. Alternatively, if the projectile touches the edge of the aperture "from the inside", it might still fall through... or not?
In the absence of any practical experience to the contrary, I'd expect a pellet striking the edge of the aperture, such that half, or more, of the pellet's projected area was inside the aperture, would tip into and through the aperture. Thus, I would make my paper target with a ring of diameter one pellet diameter less than the diameter of the aperture. In this case, with the plate aperture of 10 mm, the "equivalent" ring on the paper target should be 10 - 4.5 = 5.5 mm. Then, any pellet outside, but touching the 5.5 ring could be considered as having passed through a 10 mm diameter aperture.
Any comments? Mike T.

fmtaylor-at-telus.net.45230.45228
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

: Since the distance was not specified, it should be obvious (or so I thought), that the distance is the same.
"Sorry, I've been doing a similar drill for 50 foot target for a youngster who wants to practice for Biathlon, so had differing distances on the brain"
: On paper, we have a hit if the hole touches the ring on the outside. But if the projectile touches the edge of the aperture from the outside, the projectile will not go through. Alternatively, if the projectile touches the edge of the aperture "from the inside", it might still fall through... or not?
I agree with Mike on the size if you accept the idea that every shot that hits exactly centered on the pellet will go thru. In practice I'd bet a few won't, so you may want to make your paper target slightly (1mm?) smaller.

akihmsa

Post by akihmsa »

I work with falling targets a lot shooting silhouette and some biathlon training targets. Whether or not a target falls depends on how much force is applied to the target. Hitting the edge of the aperture takes away energy from the pellet. How much depends on many factors such as the shape of the pellet nose and how far into the aperture the pellet strikes etc. I would suspect that a half caliber hit on the aperture would not leave enough energy to take down the plate. When shooting steel nothing is absolute short of a good solid hit. For practice nothing beats using the real equipment. You can build a biathlon style air gun five bull target for about $75 if you have some metal working skills. Forget the paper. I have built several and they work very nicely and I expect them to last my children's children a lifetime ;~) : : : Insufficient information given. What are the distances of the 10mm plate and the paer target?
: : Since the distance was not specified, it should be obvious (or so I thought), that the distance is the same.
: : : If they are at the same distance, then they must be the same size.
: : On paper, we have a hit if the hole touches the ring on the outside. But if the projectile touches the edge of the aperture from the outside, the projectile will not go through. Alternatively, if the projectile touches the edge of the aperture "from the inside", it might still fall through... or not?
: In the absence of any practical experience to the contrary, I'd expect a pellet striking the edge of the aperture, such that half, or more, of the pellet's projected area was inside the aperture, would tip into and through the aperture. Thus, I would make my paper target with a ring of diameter one pellet diameter less than the diameter of the aperture. In this case, with the plate aperture of 10 mm, the "equivalent" ring on the paper target should be 10 - 4.5 = 5.5 mm. Then, any pellet outside, but touching the 5.5 ring could be considered as having passed through a 10 mm diameter aperture.
: Any comments? Mike T.