Hand pumps vs scuba tanks

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Bill Clarke

Hand pumps vs scuba tanks

Post by Bill Clarke »

I have decided to bite the bullet and buy a PCP pistol, replacing my Co2 bulk fill system and pistol. Now comes the choice of a hand pump or a scuba tank.
Questions about the hand pumps: Are they a viable option for 100 shots a day? How long does it take to pump up a pistol cylinder from zero and how long from 100 bar? How tiring is it to pump (age here is 59)?
Questions about the scuba tank: Using an 80 Cu.Ft. tank at 200 bar - what is the lowest pressure that is usable for refilling the cylinders and approximately how many refills would that be?
Thanks.
airgun-at-despammed.com.45186.0
BobZ

Re: Hand pumps vs scuba tanks

Post by BobZ »

: I have decided to bite the bullet and buy a PCP pistol, replacing my Co2 bulk fill system and pistol. Now comes the choice of a hand pump or a scuba tank.
: Questions about the hand pumps: Are they a viable option for 100 shots a day? How long does it take to pump up a pistol cylinder from zero and how long from 100 bar? How tiring is it to pump (age here is 59)?
: Questions about the scuba tank: Using an 80 Cu.Ft. tank at 200 bar - what is the lowest pressure that is usable for refilling the cylinders and approximately how many refills would that be?
: Thanks.
1. A pump is viable for 100 shots a day if you have a good back.They do not work like a bicycle pump.Once you get to 150 bar the last 2 inches of travel increases in pressure,near 200 bar it is rather hard but not uncomforable,once you learn to lean into it.
2.Pumping from zero takes about 100 pumps till 100 bar it takes about 75 pumps to go from 100 bar to 200 bar. You should only pump about 25-30 strokes before stopping to let the pump and you to cool down.After 10 minuets pumping can resume.Heat can intruduce moisture into the cylinder,which is to be avoided.
I recently went from pump to scuba air.Although initially more expensive scuba air (tank,K-valve,and fill adaptor)is the way to go if available to you,otherwise pumping is fine.

rzovinka-at-hvc.rr.com.45190.45186
Slo cat

Post by Slo cat »

A hand pump is suitable for a person who is reasonably strong or husky. I would not recommend one for a woman or slightly-built man.
It takes me about 43 strokes to recharge my LP-10 after a 70-80 shot training session. Maybe 100 strokes to recharge an empty pistol cylinder.
I am almost 62 and I love my pump. But I also do lite work outs with weights. It is not a problem for me to recharge just before a practice session, but I certainly would not do it just before a match.
slocat-at-aol.com.45204.45186
SMH

Post by SMH »

I have both. If you're going to shoot everyday, you should seriously consider getting the scuba tank. It's much less effort, and you spend more time shooting and a whole lot less time filling cylinders. The last 50 bar are not that easy with a hand pump. I can actually lift my feet off the ground and not get the handle to go down. I weigh 150 lbs. Leaning into it does the trick, but it's still a certain amount of work. If you still want a pump, let me know via email, I have one, nearly new, all that you'll need is the DIN male fitting.
s.hirasuna-at-verizon.net.45209.45190
Larry

Post by Larry »

You might want to consider scuba for 100 shots a day. I do 40 to 60 live shots a day and a pump does fine for me. You will get 2 or 3 shots per stroke so a day for you would be 30 or so strokes on the pump. You are only a few years my senior and I am certainly not husky, burley, or overly fit. I was concerned about getting a pump due to some of the things I had read but I have no trouble getting over 200 bar into my cylinder. Pump is really the only way to go if you take your gun on vacations. I doubt they like full scuba tanks on airplanes and getting on filled in a strange place could be problematic.

: I have decided to bite the bullet and buy a PCP pistol, replacing my Co2 bulk fill system and pistol. Now comes the choice of a hand pump or a scuba tank.
: Questions about the hand pumps: Are they a viable option for 100 shots a day? How long does it take to pump up a pistol cylinder from zero and how long from 100 bar? How tiring is it to pump (age here is 59)?
: Questions about the scuba tank: Using an 80 Cu.Ft. tank at 200 bar - what is the lowest pressure that is usable for refilling the cylinders and approximately how many refills would that be?

Tim Guest

Post by Tim Guest »

Being somewhat new to the sport, I considered both methods recently and eventually chose a Gehmann pump. It works brilliantly...but, with experience, I would have to agree with those that say scuba would be better for the number of shots per day your talking of.
My experience is that putting a full charge into the cylinder is pretty hard for my 75Kg weight and my muscles are left jittery for a little while afterwards (I hope you understand what I mean!). On the occasion I charged the pistol just before going to shoot, my accuracy was appauling as a result of the effort my arms had just exerted.
Hope this helps.

tim.guest-at-ntlworld.com.45256.45186
Paul Benneche

Post by Paul Benneche »

I find the hand pump works fine on my several air pistols. Recommend that you fill the cylinders well in advance of shooting to avoid higher heart and respiration rates and muscle fatigue. Also, since the cylinders heat up somewhat you will want them to come back to room temp, even though this will have little effect on your shooting. One caution, be sure to use the pump in a room with relatively low humidity (i.e. air conditioned in the summer) to avoid getting moisture in the gun and cylinder. This is one advantage that you do have when using a tank with certified dry air (i.e. don't have to worry about moisture problems)
peb-at-virginia.edu.45278.45186