Pellet sizers

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

moonlightrun

Pellet sizers

Post by moonlightrun »

Do Olympic shooters use pellet sizers? If so, where do they purchase them? Tks, Bob
Rover

Re: Pellet sizers

Post by Rover »

There is plenty of info on this subject in the Olympic Pistol section. Do a search.

But to save time, forget the whole idea. World Champion Don Nygord, who made and sold the first sizers, told me they don't work.
joel

Post by joel »

I'm sure I have one in a drawer somewhere. I've never used it.

Joel
BEA

Post by BEA »

In all fairness to Don, sizers perhaps helped with the old style springer guns. However, with the guns that came along after that, which seat the pellet farther into the barrel (and therefore resize it), using a sizer offers no benefit in my experience.
moonlightrun

Post by moonlightrun »

Okay everyone, disregard. I wish to delete this post but don't know how.
DGIDE

Post by DGIDE »

Just my thoughts. Don was a great guy, a great shooter, and a great salesman. I can remember going into the air gun pavilion at Prado Tiro and most competitors having a pile of pellets on the bench, after pushing them through the sizer he made. While he did not make the first pellet gun muzzle brake, he did make and market the first popular one, now they are all factory standard. He made a peep sight for air pistols and many other gadgets. With the modern pellets, the sizer is just not needed, but what the heck, if the shooter feels it is worth a point or two, that's all that counts.
TORSI

Post by TORSI »

What do you think about another device: bullet eccentricity finder, which can measure unmatching of inner pellet's cone with it outer form:
https://www.lottessporttechnik.de/produkte/joker/
Or when using more expensive R10 and Finale Match - there is no unmatching to measure?
ChipEck

Post by ChipEck »

You are literally throwing your money away. You will be vastly better off to use the funds to buy inexpensive pellets (Basic is just fine) and more targets. If you want to spend money on hardware, perhaps buy a good spotting scope so you look at where every shot went---and did it go where you thought you were aiming.

Chip
moonlightrun

Post by moonlightrun »

It looks like the jury is in and the verdict is - don't waste your time or money on pellet sizers because the ammo makers now do a great job.