Shooting Glasses

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Rob

Shooting Glasses

Post by Rob »

I shoot Air Rifle and I wear corrective lenses. My prescription is -1.25. When looking at shooting glasses all I see reference to is + diopters. Why is that? SHould I not wear shooting glasses, or do I not understand the pricicples behind wearing shooting glasses? I can shoot a scoped rifle without my glasses (at short distances i.e 10M) if I adjust the focus, but when using match sights the target becomes very blurry if I remove my glasses. The corrective glasses I usually wear have a very small lens and it is sometimes difficult to shoot with them on. I was considering getting prescription glasses with a larger lens, but thought that shooting glasses would just be a better option. What does anybody recomend?
Rob
Val

Re: Shooting Glasses

Post by Val »

The diopter value of the lens is generally a bit more positive than the eye, in order to emphacize focus on the sights and not the target.
My guess that for you the optimal value would be somewhere in -.5 to 0.0 range, but don't take my word for it.
geo. anderson

Re: Shooting Glasses/Prescription

Post by geo. anderson »

The value of your regular prescription really doesn't matter. For front sight focus on a pistol, the usual addition is +.75 diopter +/- 0.25 diopter to taste. So this value is added to your normal prescription, giving you -0.5 diopters. For rifle it might be slightly different.
I am nearsighted too but much worse. My corrections are -3 and -4.75. I just went to trifocals to better see airplane instrument panels at night and the middle offset of the trifocal is a +1.0, so net -2 and -3.75. It actually works pretty well for shooting but I'm sure it looks a little strange as I have to tilt my head rearwards to bring the middle prescription into position. Just another strange old fart at the range!
george-at-willowlane.net.45088.45080
Martin

Re: Shooting Glasses

Post by Martin »

Rob,
If you don't need reading glasses then there will be a good chance that your standard prescription will be fine for shooting rifle. I find that my standard perscription is OK for rifle. However if you find that advancing years have robbed your eyes of the ability to focus on the front sight then you will have to get a new lense with 0.25 added to your prescription ie -1.25 + 0.25 = -1.00.
The target will then be slightly blurry but the front sight will be clear. The greatest aiming error is if the front sight is blurry as oppsed to the target being slightly burry.
Shooting glasses with the lenses at perpenticular to your line of vision help with clear sighting.
Cheers
Martin
:I shoot Air Rifle and I wear corrective lenses. My prescription is -1.25. When looking at shooting glasses all I see reference to is + diopters. Why is that? SHould I not wear shooting glasses, or do I not understand the pricicples behind wearing shooting glasses? I can shoot a scoped rifle without my glasses (at short distances i.e 10M) if I adjust the focus, but when using match sights the target becomes very blurry if I remove my glasses. The corrective glasses I usually wear have a very small lens and it is sometimes difficult to shoot with them on. I was considering getting prescription glasses with a larger lens, but thought that shooting glasses would just be a better option. What does anybody recomend?
: Rob