Technique for settling on target

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
ProdigalSon

Technique for settling on target

Post by ProdigalSon »

A question for the more experienced shooters or coaches: what are the advantages and disadvantages of raising the pistol up to the target and holding, as opposed to raising over the target and lowering down into the hold? I have been raising over and then settling down and I find it to be fairly comfortable, but I've seen other shooters merely raise the gun to the target, and I haven't tried and stuck with that method long enough to really be able to consider how it may affect form.

In a similar vein, I find that while I can hold much steadier with a swept-back grip angle like you find on most international-style pistols than with 1911-ish grip angles, I tend to lower the gun to the target first, then lower the front sight into alignment, as when I raise the gun the front sight rides a little high compared to the rear (i.e. angled upward). Does this say anything in particular about my grip or technique?
David M

Re: Technique for settling on target

Post by David M »

Lowering from above will have less induced muscle tremor/movement than lifting from above.
My lift is above the target (inhale), lower to just above the aiming area (exhale) ,small lift as a part inhale.
Then a slow partial exhale dropping into the aiming area.
Breathing has paused at partial lung capacity, shot break in under 7 sec.
The proper rake angle/sight alignment grip position should be achieved before lifting above target, not in aiming area.
The 1911 grip angle is more suited for a two handed stance.
If you shoot a lot of ISSF high rake angle pistols then for centrefire pick a high rake angle pistol, usually European.
madmax

Post by madmax »

Hi,

The conventional wisdom is to raise the pistol higher than the centre of the target, then lower and hold at your aiming point.
This works well for those who are fit and healthy and younger.

When you are older and not so healthy and not so fit, a change of technique could help.

If you raise the pistol and then lower, you are trying to stop downward movement.
If you raise the pistol to the bottom of the target, pause, maintain sight alignment and then raise to the aiming point, you are trying to stop upward movement.

Try it, see if it works FOR YOU!!!

As in all things, "horses for courses"!!

Max.
kubikula78

Post by kubikula78 »

Hi,

moving above the target and then lowering down coming from 2 aspects of proceedure of the shot.

1. Breathing - you should fully inhale with movement above the target,then exhale about 1/3 out with lowering to the aiming point, then hold the breath and execute the shot

2. Mind control - when aiming you should think about front sight and correct executing the shot. Sights must be aligned and trigger pulled to the first stage. If you going above the target then you align sights, pulling trigger and when going down everything is prepared for hit the aiming zone and you can be concentrated ONLY on the FRONT sight.

If you rising up and stop you can also align sights and pull trigger but you will have mess with breathing. Shortly said the UP/DOWN method is more natural and this is what you need...not think much, do as much as you can automaticaly and be concentrated on FRONT sight and executing the shot.

But, watching top world class shooters.....for everyone works different stuff.....try the best for you and if your shooting will be consisitent even if something will be out of "rules".....who cares? :-))

Jakub