Twinmaster Trainer

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

DaveR

Twinmaster Trainer

Post by DaveR »

I'm looking for any info or hands on experience on this pistol. I like the looks and the fact it's an 8 shot repeater. I would be interested in using this pistol for Ihmsa air and am lookng for any pro's and con's on the pistol.
Thanks DaveR
reblyel2-at-msn.com.45057.0
akihmsa

Re: Twinmaster Trainer

Post by akihmsa »

Hi Dave
I don't have hands on experience with the trainer but the advantage in a repeater is not having to shift position during the 5 shot strings. The downside to a revolver type is that you must make certain that your 1st shot is going to index corectly so that you do not fire on an empty chamber. Doing that will cost you an shot since you can only load 5 pellets and not the 8 to fill the cylinder. Accuracy is more than likely adequate as anything that can keep 5 shots in a 1/2 inch at 18 yards will be more than enough.
The IHMSAAIR Founder ;~): I'm looking for any info or hands on experience on this pistol. I like the looks and the fact it's an 8 shot repeater. I would be interested in using this pistol for Ihmsa air and am lookng for any pro's and con's on the pistol.
: Thanks DaveR

George

Post by George »

Trigger is not great. Much work might get it better. Is accurate. Only guy I know with one shoots it as a single shot.
DaveR

Post by DaveR »

: Trigger is not great. Much work might get it better. Is accurate. Only guy I know with one shoots it as a single shot.
Thanks for the info. I think I'll avoid this one.
DaveR

reblyel2-at-msn.com.45110.45104
David R.

Post by David R. »

Hi DaveR (hmmm, I might have to change my handle… :)
I owned a Twinmaster TOP for a little over a week, which was just enough time inspire me to get into 10m pistol w/ a more "serious" gun. However, the fact that the TOP left me wanting more is not wholly a bad thing (see below).
As it is, I would evaluate Twinmaster TOP as a good+ gun and a great value. Construction is solid, wood and metal throughout. The single action trigger left more to be desired than the double action trigger, but both were quite above what you'd expect from any kind of gun in this price range. The SA trigger had a little creep, which I found distracting, but the DA trigger's long, smooth pull was quite nice, and a bit more accurate for me. Accuracy is phenomenal with this gun, provided you load the pellets into the sliding gate (single-shot) in a consistent manner; failing attention to this detail leads to fliers.
The repeater capability of the TOP is quite good--the mechanism is not what I’d call robust, but it’s no where near flimsy either. It will function reliably providing you don't inadvertantly impede the cylinder with your hand/fingers during cycling. Eight aimed, rapid-fire shots are easy enough to do in around 3 seconds. In my week of ownership, I put almost 1000 pellets through it w/ nary a hitch (and it’s fun).

So, back to why I sold it. The TOP is a good enough gun to hint at what a great gun might be like. For 10m shooting, I could shoot in the high 80’s w/ my limited amount of practice, provided I didn’t get any fliers. Budgetary reasons led to to the "either or decision" of keeping the Twinmaster, or spending some more $$ on a match gun—I opted for the match gun.

-David

akihmsa

Dave are you already shooting in IHMSA-AIR matches?

Post by akihmsa »

If you have not started yet I would suggest either the 717 or 747 Daisy, for the simple reason that you can use it for both Production and Unlimited and folks (myself included) are shooting perfect scores with them. : : Trigger is not great. Much work might get it better. Is accurate. Only guy I know with one shoots it as a single shot.
: Thanks for the info. I think I'll avoid this one.
: DaveR

DaveR

Re: Dave are you already shooting in IHMSA-AIR matches?

Post by DaveR »

: If you have not started yet I would suggest either the 717 or 747 Daisy, for the simple reason that you can use it for both Production and Unlimited and folks (myself included) are shooting perfect scores with them. : : Trigger is not great. Much work might get it better. Is accurate. Only guy I know with one shoots it as a single shot.
: : Thanks for the info. I think I'll avoid this one.
: : DaveR
Yes, I joined Ihmsa in August of this year, and am shooting in Ohio. I've met and shot with Glenn Pound in August and September at Tusco, but due to a family crisis I wasn't able shoot in October. Currently I'm shooting an IZH46M, and a Tau 7, but I'm always looking for a new pistol to shoot. I've mainly been shooting USIS, but I'm looking for a pistol I can easiy scope, like a Beeman P2, or P3, to shoot any sight.
DaveR
reblyel2-at-msn.com.45129.45120
akihmsa

Re: Dave are you already shooting in IHMSA-AIR matches?

Post by akihmsa »

Dave the P-3 and the P-2 both will require you to mount the scope where you need to apply pressure to charge the pistol. I have used both and they are a P.I.T.A. to load in the 2 minute time period. It can be done, but takes more practice than those with easier access to the loading area. I don't know if you are interested in the IHMSA Records programs, but if you are you need to know that UAS is not included in that. US is though and seems to be the easiest one to get into, with the most # of participants. I still think you would be better off with a Daisy and several people are making scope mounts for them. Your TAU-7 is as good as it gets and scope mounts are available for it as well. I am concerned that you are not getting good information on the game. I fired the very first IHMSA Unlimited 40x40 using an out of the box Crosman 1377C (which qualifies for the Production Classes). I have made International in Standing using a 747 Daisy. I would urge you to get a Production class pistol and enjoy the 3 entries you have so far avoided, unless you simply like to equipment race. All the top AIR Pistols (Steyr, Morini, FWB etc.) are set up for 10 meter work and optics are not allowed so no provision is made for optics on these in general. If you have poor vision I can understand the scoped the classes. If you can still see reasonably well there is more satisfaction in the iron sighted categories (at least to me). Almost anyone can shoot a perfect UAS score, less than 5% ever make International Standing. Randy the region 3 director has hit 20+ chickens at the ram distance in UAS with his 46M, showing just how accurate air guns are.
The most fun of and and certainly the most satisfying is to get a jr. club (4-H in Ohio has lots of clubs) to the matches and help them learn to shoot and watch the shear joy they get when they knock over a target. For the young ones 12 and under bring the Turkeys into the chicken line and the Rams into the Pig line. Twenty targets is plenty for this young age. Keep the scopes and red dots away from the youth, they don't need them and they will not wish to move to iron sights after getting used to the easy of scope shooting. I have witnessed this personally too many times.
Above all have fun, cause if your recreation isn't fun pretty soon it isn't recreation! : : If you have not started yet I would suggest either the 717 or 747 Daisy, for the simple reason that you can use it for both Production and Unlimited and folks (myself included) are shooting perfect scores with them. : : Trigger is not great. Much work might get it better. Is accurate. Only guy I know with one shoots it as a single shot.
: : : Thanks for the info. I think I'll avoid this one.
: : : DaveR
: Yes, I joined Ihmsa in August of this year, and am shooting in Ohio. I've met and shot with Glenn Pound in August and September at Tusco, but due to a family crisis I wasn't able shoot in October. Currently I'm shooting an IZH46M, and a Tau 7, but I'm always looking for a new pistol to shoot. I've mainly been shooting USIS, but I'm looking for a pistol I can easiy scope, like a Beeman P2, or P3, to shoot any sight.
: DaveR

Mike Stimson

Re: Better air pistols

Post by Mike Stimson »

If you are looking for a repeater or single shot that has a great trigger look at the Falcon www.airhog.com and if interested order from me and I can save you money off retail. I have a friend who is air pistol poor and has one for sale. I shot a 80 is UAS in July at the IHMSA Internationals and missed the first chicken in the shootoff and hit the next 9 and these were 1/2 size air targets at 18 yds. Like Mike Kelly says, a very good shooting pistol is the Daisy 747. I do trigger jobs on the ones I sell, www.stimsonenterprises.com. I am waiting on next shipment at this time which should be in a week or so. I also carry the IZH 46M and there is not a pistol out there that will out shoot it. Great trigger out of the box great sights and velosity is about 470 fps.
stimson590-at-texasairnet.com.45173.45057