Hammerli AR-20, decent starting air rifle?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

ZD

Hammerli AR-20, decent starting air rifle?

Post by ZD »

Does anyone have any experience with the Hammerli AR-20? Our team may be in a position to acquire a few of these, and I want to know if anyone has an experience with them, as far as whether or not they are accurate and reliable. I am not worried about their balance; my understanding is that they come very light but I can easily add weight to them. I would be assigning these rifles to newer shooters on my team.

https://www.carl-walther.com/products/s ... .00-2.html

http://www.champchoice.com/store/Main.a ... m=46610002

-Zach
sturm88

Re: Hammerli AR-20, decent starting air rifle?

Post by sturm88 »

As I know they're not reliable. Hammerli has two regulators and the worst trigger mechanism I've ever seen. If I have to make similar choose I'd look at fwb 500.
dschaller

Post by dschaller »

Our Club has two. As I recall they were the best option available from an NRA grant many years ago. I would not get another. They have a cocking mechanism unlike any other quality air rifle I know of, and which tends to require getting much more out of position to cock. Other than that, they have been reliable and are accurate enough with the RWS Basic pellets we train with.
lyoke2

Post by lyoke2 »

Many of our shooters outgrew these rifles rather quickly. It would have been better to have invested in used air rifles that were higher quality and were in line with what the rest of the shooters were using (Anschutz, FWB, Walther).
gspell68

Post by gspell68 »

My son borrowed one from the CMP South (Anniston, AL) to shoot 60 shots standing, just for fun.
It was heavier than a real rifle.
He could barely hold it up for the last 20 - 30 shots because it was so incredibly heavy.
It made his back hurt for several days afterward.

I saw the inner workings of one from a distance.
It did not look refined.
It looked like the internals of a cap gun.
Probably even more poorly executed than the $100 CMP Daisy Avanti rifles...
Scott Pell
gspell68@gmail.com
Augusta, Georgia