Electronic muffs

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Michael Ray

Electronic muffs

Post by Michael Ray »

What's your opinion on electronic (eg, impulse reducing) muffs? What should I avoid?
I'm getting tired of having to take my muffs off most of the time to coach my student-athletes.
AB

Re: Electronic muffs

Post by AB »

( in return for your answering my Quest) I have some Peltor "Tactical 6" muffs. They do work well, although their NR # is not really high, so might not be the best for really big stuff. i think they would be excellent for indoor smallbore and you can hear conversations very clearly- or can turn them off if you don't want to hear everything. And you need remember to turn them off when your are done.
Joe Matusic, MD

Alternative

Post by Joe Matusic, MD »

I have a pair of muffs for shooting that have a special baffle. You can hear conversation, but louder / high pressure noises are reduced. Not sure of brand, but they work well. I shot skeet with them a lot. I could easily hear those aorund me, but shots were not that loud. I bought them 10 years or so ago and they were $40.

Joe.Matusic-at-Camc.org.45037.45033
Sawyer

Post by Sawyer »

You might also consider electronic ear plugs. They also cut off sounds above the damaging decibel level, but allow normal conversation, even amplifying low-level sounds, just as a hearing aid would. They're quite slick for normal range use. Downside is the cost at $600-$1000 per pair.
Rifleman-at-tcinternet.net.45042.45033
TomF

Post by TomF »

I have some and they dont help a whole lot when you are right next to a fellow shooting 45acp or 7mm Mag. The NRR is not great for most of them but they do suppress the loud blasts. So I use regular ear plugs and the electronic muffs with the volume turned up so I can hear with the ear plugs in. This gives you a better NRR and allows you to hear the normal talk on the range.
: What's your opinion on electronic (eg, impulse reducing) muffs? What should I avoid?
: I'm getting tired of having to take my muffs off most of the time to coach my student-athletes.

shootingsports-at-ev1.net.45043.45033
Bill

Post by Bill »

Michael,
Contact me off list.
Regards,
Bill
wmmcc-at-inatap.net.45045.45033
Spencer C

Things to look for (and spacers for your spectacles)

Post by Spencer C »

Officials have the same problem in this area as coaches (and then some). While the shooters are on the range for a match or training session, the coaches are there for multiple sessions (the officials for the day).
Coaches and officials wear their ear protection for longer periods than shooters, in some cases for 10 day stints on the range - the muffs wear out faster!
Things to look for:
1 Battery l1fe / cost
2 Availablility and cost of replacement of the soft surrounds (there are lots of ear muffs in the back of cupboards because people cannot get replacement surrounds). With time and use, the surrounds will harden and lose compliance (the ability to mold to the shape of the head and provide a seal)
3 Availability of cloth faces for the surrounds. These will soak up some sweat and make life much more bearable in hot humid weather.
4 The usual things like weight, comfort, price, sound damping ability...
Also available at industrial safety departments should be pairs of little foam extrusions that fit on the legs of spectacles to provide a smooth profile for the ear muffs to fit over the spectacle legs and provide a seal (try you muffs with and without your spectacles on - see (hear) the difference?

Sawyer

Post by Sawyer »

I have them too, and realy like them, but I'm almost exclusively a smallbore shooter, with occasional forays to the trap range or the 300 Meter range. My elec. plugs are great for trap, wonderful really, but I too double up for big bore rifle. I turn the plugs off underneath ear muffs. Your solution of foamies and volume up on the ear muffs is a good one. I don't think there's any one type of protection that's perfect for all disciplines and ranges. I consider ear muffs alone to be inadequate when I'm near someone shooting HP or large caliber handgun in an enclosed space.

Michael Ray

These would be for smallbore rifle only *NT*

Post by Michael Ray »

: I have some and they dont help a whole lot when you are right next to a fellow shooting 45acp or 7mm Mag. The NRR is not great for most of them but they do suppress the loud blasts. So I use regular ear plugs and the electronic muffs with the volume turned up so I can hear with the ear plugs in. This gives you a better NRR and allows you to hear the normal talk on the range.
: : What's your opinion on electronic (eg, impulse reducing) muffs? What should I avoid?
: : I'm getting tired of having to take my muffs off most of the time to coach my student-athletes.

Sandy Eisele, Ph.D.

Post by Sandy Eisele, Ph.D. »

Electronics are not tested as standard muffs or plugs which give a NNR. There is no literature in the scientific community concerning what exactly each muff produces or doesn't produce. I contacted several manufactures as a shooter and received the standard consumer line, then, approached from a scientific standpoint all I received was a "stone wall". Yes, I use electronic muffs, but use a light plug and turn the muffs to a high level. I have nothing to back up this next statement, but I wouldn't touch insert type amplified plugs. Thanks, Sandy
sandy741-at-comcast.net.45067.45033
Philip

Post by Philip »

While they are not allowed in ISSF competitions, electronic earmuffs are very useful for training sessions as you described.
There are many makes and models to choose from, each with different features. You just have to decide what you want ( or need ).
Some allow amplified listening and cut off when there is high level impulsive noise ( e.g. gun shots ).
Some, on top of the above, allow connection to external audio devices such as CD/cassette/DVD/MP3/MD players.
Some allow connection to two way radios, from simple FRS to sophisticated military radios.
Some have built-in AM/FM radios ( er...for concentration training? )
Usually the cup size is related somewhat to the extent of hearing protection you will get. Bigger cups usually protect better, but the cup may get in the way of the rifle stock. You have to compromise somehow there.
Please follow the link below for more information.

info-at-precision-sports.com.45108.45033
Curt Ingersoll

Post by Curt Ingersoll »

Hi Mike,
I have been using a set Dillon sells for about two years while coaching smallbore and air.
In the summer they are hot and I go back to normal ear plugs, but indoors in the winter they are great.
There are two types, one is on all of the time and reduces the load gunshots. The other type cuts in and out every time someone shoots. I tried both types and found the later annoying while trying to talk / listen to an athlete.
One of the things I like is I can turn up the volume when working with someone you speaks softly.
Curt

gunsmoke-at-toast.net.45116.45033
Spencer C

What makes you think they are not allowed in ISSF competitio

Post by Spencer C »

: While they are not allowed in ISSF competitions, electronic earmuffs are very useful for training sessions as you described.
: Some have built-in AM/FM radios ( er...for concentration training? )
Ear muffs with built-in radio, or hooked up to a tape / CD / MP3 are not allowed - but the straight forward attenuator type are OK