Am I Crazy?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Rhyno

Am I Crazy?

Post by Rhyno »

Hello all,

It has been quite a while since I have posted on this forum, but after a few years after my NCAA career came to an end, the shooting but has bitten me again. After 8 years in rifle, I have decided that I do not want to deal with all of that gear any more, and it just wouldn't feel right not devoting 20+ hours per week to that again. That being said, I have decided to pick up air pistol. I am getting a bonus here shortly that I intend to use to purchase either a fwb, pardini, or steyr unless something interesting comes up on the used forum. I understand that generally it is better to start with something less expensive in the beginning, but to be honest, I feel that starting with the best you can afford in the beginning will help you in the long run. Plus, after shooting with the FWB 800x for so many years, I tend to be a bit spoiled.

Now on to the meat of this post... I want to know if it would be crazy of me to attempt to shoot in one of the cmp monthly matches having only fired enough pellets through the pistol to get it in the black at 10m. Now before you think I am some arrogant fool, I have something of a plan here... Ideally, I would have about 2-3 months to solely dry fire with the pistol to work on form, aim, release, etc. I really just think it would be crazy interesting to see how well something like dry firing really works for someone with absolutely no experience in the pistol world.

Let me be clear, I have never shot an air pistol in my life (never even held one), but I am quite experienced in the world of shooting sports. So, what do you think? Am I crazy?

A couple of directed follow up questions:
1. Will my years in rifle help me?
2. What should I expect?
3. Is 2 months enough time to be able to shoot a full 60 shot course?
4. Help!
atomicgale
Location: Copperhill Tennessee USA (a registered CERCLA superfund site)

Re: Am I Crazy?

Post by atomicgale »

Rhyno, here's my 2-cents:

1. Buy a quality PCP Pistol. About a thousand bucks or more. This is America & it's not like you're going to starve.
2. Sign up for CMP.
3. Actually GO to CMP.
4. Yes, your rifle skills will VASTLY help in air pistol.
5. Now that you're in AP (instead of rifle), you can really go wild: No gear, no equipment; just a pistol. No leather get-up, no nada. Hey, you can wear shorts at a match. Heck, I'd shoot barefoot if they'd let me.
6. Have fun - that's what it's all about anyway.
john bickar

Post by john bickar »

You're good to go; do it.
ihasagun

Post by ihasagun »

If you plan to use shooting glasses, you might want to get a jump on ordering the frame and lens. That whole process can take a while, and I expect you may want to use it during dry fire practice to help you focus on the front sight.

Shootingsite has custom lenses for $40 shipped. You can get +0.5 or + 0.75 spherical (AKA diopter) to help focus on the front sight. If you have a distance/astigmatism prescription to add, you can do that too.

Champions choice also has some lenses without distance correction, and they cost less, but once you add shipping they are almost as much.

If you get the Varga 3000 frame, then your lens will be 37 mm. I tried to order a 37mm +0.5 lens from pilkguns very recently, as they were listed in stock, but they were actually out of stock. I went with shootingsite a week ago, and my lens has not shipped yet. But I was told it would probably be at least a week before it shipped.
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

Rhyno wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:52 pmI really just think it would be crazy interesting to see how well something like dry firing really works for someone with absolutely no experience in the pistol world. Let me be clear, I have never shot an air pistol in my life (never even held one), but I am quite experienced in the world of shooting sports. So, what do you think? Am I crazy?
You should live fire more and see your results. The groups will tell you where you’re standing. The better you become, then there is the need to dry-fire more and live fire less to reinforce follow-through.
northpaw

Post by northpaw »

Rhyno wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:52 pm After 8 years in rifle, I have decided that I do not want to deal with all of that gear any more
Been there, done that.
Rhyno wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:52 pmfeel that starting with the best you can afford in the beginning will help you in the long run.
Yepp
Rhyno wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:52 pmIdeally, I would have about 2-3 months to solely dry fire with the pistol to work on form, aim, release, etc. I really just think it would be crazy interesting to see how well something like dry firing really works for someone with absolutely no experience in the pistol world.
One very good Eastern European FP athlete used to say at least 90 % or more of Your shots fired should be dry ones. Live fire practice just to cheque what I have acquired during dry firing worked for live fire.
Rhyno wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:52 pmWill my years in rifle help me?
Definitely. Your experiences of competition stress control, focus control etc. After a few months of dry fire you are qualified to enter the AP game. No doubt.
northpaw

Post by northpaw »

northpaw wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:00 am
Rhyno wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:52 pm After 8 years in rifle, I have decided that I do not want to deal with all of that gear any more
Been there, done that.
Rhyno wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:52 pmfeel that starting with the best you can afford in the beginning will help you in the long run.
Yepp
Rhyno wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:52 pmIdeally, I would have about 2-3 months to solely dry fire with the pistol to work on form, aim, release, etc. I really just think it would be crazy interesting to see how well something like dry firing really works for someone with absolutely no experience in the pistol world.
One very good Eastern European FP athlete used to say at least 90 % or more of Your shots fired should be dry ones. Live fire practice just to cheque what I have acquired during dry firing worked for live fire.
Rhyno wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:52 pmWill my years in rifle help me?
Definitely. Your experiences of competition stress control, focus control etc. After a few months of dry fire you are qualified to enter the AP game. No doubt. Extensive dry firing is what makes you a good shot. With, or without simulator. The latter is recommended, though.
Rhyno

Post by Rhyno »

Do you guys think glasses are necessary? I used them in rifle to assure repeatable head position, but what advantages does it serve in pistol? Last time I got it checked, I have around 20/10 vision with no other optical problems. Would there be any good use to have a par of glasses?

Also, I am hoping to go look at some pistols here in the next few weeks (I live super close to both Champions Choice and Pilk Guns) and was wondering what he general opinions are in the pistol world? Watching competitions on youtube, I have seen most shooters shooting Steyr with a select few shooting pardini and morini. Does anyone have experience with the new FWB? I loved their rifles and they are the only company with left hand large sized grips available without special order that I can see. I don't see too many people shooting with them and was curious about that. Any suggestions/opinions would be super helpful.
wasatch

Post by wasatch »

Hi Rhyno,
Lucky you having a dealer nearby that carries glasses and both the LP10 and P8X, you'll be able to check it all out.

I have a P8X and really like it. All adjustments including trigger are clearly labeled. Only 2 tools are needed to make all the common adjustments. The way the grip adjusts w/o having to remove it is very convenient. The trigger itself is fantastic and the recoil absorber has been functioning w/o issue and does its job well. I like the feel of the narrower trigger blade better than the wide slab of the Steyr. 200 shots per cylinder fill.