Help ! muscle tremors/offhand

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

AB

Help ! muscle tremors/offhand

Post by AB »

I have a history of 3P smallbore, but now mostly shoot 50yd offhand muzzle loading matches (don't laugh, it's more competitive than you might think), and an Anschutz 2002 for practice. I seem to have 2 modes- on some days there is clearly a small tremor-almost a vibration-in the hold-on these days I shoot~85 or so on the 10 m target. On the "other" days, the tremor is clearly gone and I can easily shoot in the low 90's. No caffine, no drugs, try to shoot before biking for exercise. The tremor is particulary noticeable if I need to move muzzle ANY distance to get target alignment. Any ideas what might be going on/remedy??
Thanks
Ole Coach

Re: Help ! muscle tremors/offhand

Post by Ole Coach »

My feeling is that it sounds as if you are setting yourself on the ground and twisting your torso in order to bring the sights on target. May I suggest rather, Plant your front foot (right or left as the case may be) as a pivot point and shift your entire body by moving the rear foot until you have achieved a natural point of aim on target. By putting tension on muscles to achieve a point of aim might just induce tremor as the lactic acid builds up in those muscles that are contracting. This is similar in prone positioning where you should use your "rifle arm" elbow as a pivot to establish a natural point of aim by moving the rest of the body. When muscles are in tension they cause a build up of lactic acid and this can cause muscle tremors as you fight to maintain position and hold your breathing down. IMHO
Michael Ray

You answered your own question

Post by Michael Ray »

: The tremor is particulary noticeable if I need to move muzzle ANY distance to get target alignment. Any ideas what might be going on/remedy??
Adjust your position so the natural point of aim is on the target. Using muscle to get the rifle to the target will greatly increase hold size. You must go where your body wants to go.
Joe Matusic, MD

Docs input

Post by Joe Matusic, MD »

Now I am a pediatrician, not FP or geriatrics, so take this with a grain of salt. I think the Ole Coach's answer is most correct. If the tremor only occurs in a specific situation, then search for a cure for that situation (reduce muscle strain).
As a physician, I would be concerned if the tremor was occuring with all types of muscle strain / use and especially at rest. I would also be concerned if the tremor was more proximal (closer to torso, upper arm, shoulder) than distal (farther away from torso, like fingers, hand) or if it was worsening over time. Tremor can suddenly start with number of medications,, post head injury, etc.
Joe.Matusic-at-Camc.org.45038.45013