Pellet weight

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Bill177

Pellet weight

Post by Bill177 »

I have been watching a thread on another forum about pellet weight consistancy. It bring about a couple of questions:
1. Do match shooters weigh their pellets?
2. Are "match grade" pellets more consistent?
3. How much effect on POI does weight differences make at 10 meters?
airgun-at-despammed.com.44868.0
LesJ

Re: Pellet weight

Post by LesJ »

That should answer your questions:
/antenor.pol.lublin.pl/users/gglady/pellet/pellet.htm

LesJ

correction

Post by LesJ »

antenor.pol.lublin.pl/users/gglady/pellet/pellet.htm

Bill177

Re: correction

Post by Bill177 »

Thank you - what a great link.

airgun-at-despammed.com.44873.44870
william

Post by william »

Bill, keep in mind that Grzegorz's study was oriented to rifle where groups approach a pellet's diameter. Given all the "swing and sway" of holding a pistol, the pellet is a pretty minor consideration. There is no way a quality maker (RWS, H&N, JSB, Vogel) will sell you a tin of pellets that will group less well than an under 560 shooter can hold. A very successful coach I know buys $3 a tin Geco pellets for his shooters, and they shoot just fine. Good luck.
politt-at-1stcounsel.com.44874.44868
LesJ

Few comments

Post by LesJ »

I like the last table with the theoretical finals. Remember this is for the air rifles, where the"10" is roughly half the size of the pistol's "10". If the difference between the best and the worst is only .2 or .3 of the point, than it means nothing for air pistol, at least for most of us.
Half an hour of good training will give you much higher point gain than searching for ultimate pellets.
Mental confidence: I bought second hand cheap pellets ( I practice a lot) from low score shooter who lost confidence in them and switched to R-10. His score did not improved at all.
I felt like breaking into 570 for sometime, so before each match I would switch from my cheap practice pellets to my match pellets with the idea that I am going to brake my personal record that day. I think I was setting my self up for failure with this approach. Couple weeks ago I just took my cheapes with me to the match with idea that my 570 is going to happened whenever and I shot 568 and 570 three days later. I truly believe that these cheap pellets are not holding me back at this moment.

JT

Post by JT »

Ditto on these comments. I bench shoot my pistol from a vise with each new pellet I try, and I have found the cheap .177 match pellets will shoot one hole groups just as good as the expensive ones. The POI may be different, and so I might need to adjust the sights a little, but they all shoot 10 shots within a .25" hole.
I do look at each pellet before putting it into my gun, so I am the last measure of quality. You will be surprised at what you can find when you do this.
I just wish I could shoot as well as my bench vise!!!
Practice, practice practice, ....
Your milage may vary.
: Bill, keep in mind that Grzegorz's study was oriented to rifle where groups approach a pellet's diameter. Given all the "swing and sway" of holding a pistol, the pellet is a pretty minor consideration. There is no way a quality maker (RWS, H&N, JSB, Vogel) will sell you a tin of pellets that will group less well than an under 560 shooter can hold. A very successful coach I know buys $3 a tin Geco pellets for his shooters, and they shoot just fine. Good luck.

shootingsports-at-ev1.net.44878.44874
JT

Check out this resource

Post by JT »

Great info here:
shootingsports-at-ev1.net.44893.44868
Mako Koiwai

An AR 10 is almost 20 times smaller then the AP ten!

Post by Mako Koiwai »

: I like the last table with the theoretical finals. Remember this is for the air rifles, where the"10" is roughly half the size of the pistol's "10". If the difference between the best and the worst is only .2 or .3 of the point, than it means nothing for air pistol, at least for most of us.
: Half an hour of good training will give you much higher point gain than searching for ultimate pellets.
: Mental confidence: I bought second hand cheap pellets ( I practice a lot) from low score shooter who lost confidence in them and switched to R-10. His score did not improved at all.
: I felt like breaking into 570 for sometime, so before each match I would switch from my cheap practice pellets to my match pellets with the idea that I am going to brake my personal record that day. I think I was setting my self up for failure with this approach. Couple weeks ago I just took my cheapes with me to the match with idea that my 570 is going to happened whenever and I shot 568 and 570 three days later. I truly believe that these cheap pellets are not holding me back at this moment.
:

makofoto-at-earthlink.net.44912.44875
LesJ

Yes, you are right. I just had senior moment

Post by LesJ »

Val

I thought it was only 3 times as large.

Post by Val »

The size of the hit zone, 10 or otherwise is the diameter of the corresponding ring + caliber.
For AR, the size of 10 is 0.5 + 4.5 = 5 (mm)
For AP, the size of 10 is 11.5 + 4.5 = 15 (mm) - three times as large.
LesJ

Re: I thought it was only 3 times as large.

Post by LesJ »

: The size of the hit zone, 10 or otherwise is the diameter of the corresponding ring + caliber.
: For AR, the size of 10 is 0.5 + 4.5 = 5 (mm)
: For AP, the size of 10 is 11.5 + 4.5 = 15 (mm) - three times as large.
In this case shouldn't it be 10 + 2x calibers on ether side of the 10? If so than AR = 9.5 and
AP = 19.5 for roughly two times. Am I correct with this, since you can score ten on ether side of the ten?

Val

Re: I thought it was only 3 times as large.

Post by Val »

No. The radius of the hit zone is the radius of the scoring ring plus the radius of the projectile. So the diameter of the hit zone is the diameter of the scoring ring + caliber.
For example, if we were shooting with needles, the radius of the hit zone is the same as scoring ring. But since we are shooting with something that has non-zero diameter, it adds some slack, which equals to the radius of the projectile. You add that radius on "both" sides, which is the same as adding one diameter (the caliber).
LesJ

Thank you. NT

Post by LesJ »

mako

Re: Thank you. NT

Post by mako »

Well then we do pretty well considering our short barrels, one hand ... no leathers ... :-)

makofoto-at-earthlink.net.44990.44957