Hill Pump suggestion for high humidty climates

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
m1963

Hill Pump suggestion for high humidty climates

Post by m1963 »

We have owned a Hill Mk3 and a Mk4 pump over the years, and live in a climate with high humidity. We have found that, after filling one's tanks, it is best to at least leave the bleed screw partially open when storing or (better yet) completely remove it so the interior of the pump can dry out, between uses.

We had one pump where we did not do this (learning the hard way) and the inside became so corroded that the micron filter, spring retainer, spring, and non-return valve could not be removed and the pump was only good for use as a club.
Ricardo

Re: Hill Pump suggestion for high humidty climates

Post by Ricardo »

And no matter how much of that moisture-removal compound (silica gel?) you use in the pump, water is getting into your cylinders too.
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

Worse than being concerned about the pump is the fact that you are pushing that moisture laden air into your pistols cylinders as well as through the pistols innards.

I bought a FWB SSP several years ago that had been fueled by a pump exclusively and the interior of the cylinders resembled a mine field.

I sold the pump, bought new cylinders and kept it on a diet of dehumidified SCUBA.
m1963

Post by m1963 »

I agree, good clean air from a scuba tank is the only way to protect cylinders from moisture. We, also, gave up on the pumps and are using a Coltri dive compressor to keep our scuba tanks full.
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

If you choose to pump, you should do it in a small room with the AC attached with a dehumidifying heat pipe or portable dehumidifier on to eliminate the most moisture in the air.
GKU

Post by GKU »

I'd run a dehumidifier first and then run the AC unit till R.H. reaches about 30%.

Also I'd make a homemade moisture trap fill with a high quality desiccant to connected to the top of the OEM filter on the Hills.
The add desiccant surface area will suck up more moisture for yah.
https://www.deltaadsorbents.com/4a-8x12 ... 19p70.aspx

Theses are some examples on different hand pumps.

~ Greg