Jacket and Pants Sizing For An Old Guy

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Hip's Ax

Jacket and Pants Sizing For An Old Guy

Post by Hip's Ax »

Greetings, I am in need of an ISU legal jacket and perhaps pants. I'm 42 and have a classic American gut so off the rack can be dangerous to order without trying them on. I use a Champion's Choice size 42 NRA jacket in smallbore and high power now and while the shoulders fit OK I barely get the middle section closed. Of course with the straps on an NRA jacket any amount of adjustment is possible, I'm worried about the buttons on an ISU model. I once was going to buy a Kurt Thune TL2 in person but the largest size they had was a 56 and while the sales man tried his best to get the jacket to over lap it would not, he said I needed a 58 and that they had one on the way but not on hand. I'm not convinced that one size larger would have done it either. Now, pants, I'm certain that I can't just buy a set of pants acording to my blue jean size as they ride below my gut, how high do shooting pants ride? Is it possible I will derive any benefit from off the rack pants that will close up top? I figure if I can get the top closed that the pants will be of such a large size that they wil be very loose in the seat and legs as to give no advantage. Any body out there that has gone through this process with advice to give? Help! I need these soon.
HipsAxe-at-aol.com.44665.0
Pat McCoy

Re: Jacket and Pants Sizing For An Old Guy

Post by Pat McCoy »

You may want to consider putting a little more money into a custom jacket and forgetting about the pants, as it is about 95% certain that shooting pants as we now know then will not be allowed after 1-1-05.
patmccoyagency-at-hotmail.com.44670.44665
Hip's Ax

Custom Will Eventually Happen....

Post by Hip's Ax »

But off the rack is in my immediate future. Advice?
HipsAxe-at-aol.com.44678.44670
Joacim

Post by Joacim »

This will be a half commercial pitch - my excuses -
The easiest way to figure out your sizes is to measure yourself (chest, waist, hip, inseam, arm length and height) and see how close you are. )Our standard size schedule can be found at http://www.riflesports.com/monardusa/si ... dsizes.htm
We currently have size 58, 60, 28 and 30 in stock.
Once you have figured out your size you can easily call around to the places you would like to buy it from and see if they have it and they should be able to ship it to you and if it doesn't fit you should be able to return it for a different size.
Joacim Trybom
Try&Bom Inc.
www.monardusa.com

Gary

Re: Custom Will Eventually Happen....

Post by Gary »

: But off the rack is in my immediate future. Advice?

Unfortunately standard sizes appear to be for "trim" people, not us overweight guys. I am in a similar situation to you, where the standard sizes jackets will not fit. There are less expensive custom that are not much more than standard sizes. And that is the route that I will ultimately go.
Just as an example, if you check the Monard site
http://www.riflesports.com/monardusa/
And look under "standard" model, you will see that the standard size jacket is $225 and the custom jacket is $250, only a $25 difference. So might as well go custom when the price difference is so small.
The Monard site also has a page on measuring, so you can get an idea of how the fitting would be.
There are other manufacturers and dealers, so you should look around. Center Sports, Champion, Neal Johnson, etc.

If the standard size jacket/pants does not fit properly, I don't know how much of a benefit or hinderance it will be.
But, if it does not fit properly, you may not be able to shoot with it in regulation competition (which I presume since you asked for ISU legal). This is because of the rules of how the outfit must/must not fit.
See the ISSF rule #7.4.9.3
http://www.issf-shooting.org/Rules/spec ... rifle.html
And by my reading, any device like a "back belt" that is used to pull in the tummy will be in violation of the rules.
Gud Luk
Gary
j.edwards

Post by j.edwards »

I followed the discussion about the international rule change on pants for a while but lost the thread. Are we convinced that pants as we know them will be illegal? I just ordered a custom pair from Kurt Thune. I have "old man's" disease as well - 40" waist, 26" inseam :-)
Thanks

: You may want to consider putting a little more money into a custom jacket and forgetting about the pants, as it is about 95% certain that shooting pants as we now know then will not be allowed after 1-1-05.

qayakpak-at-comcast.net.44705.44670
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

: Are we convinced that pants as we know them will be illegal?
I just returned from the National Coaches conference in Colrado Springs, and the word given there is 95% to 98% certainty that pants as we know them will be illegal effective 1-1-05. There may be a chance for softer pants (that won't stand up on thier own) with rubber on the seat and knee.
patmccoyagency-at-hotmail.com.44715.44705