Mastering a Red Dot Sight

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Tracemineral45x

Mastering a Red Dot Sight

Post by Tracemineral45x »

Looking for recommendations on keeping the Holosun 2moa red dot on target. This is for bench rest air pistol competition shooting. Often find keeping head from moving in/out of the correct position from one shot to the next makes consistency a problem. Of course finding that right position is challenging. Is there a way to train myself to easily find the correct head eye(s) placement place(s)? Any tutorials on using the red dot for air gun users would be appreciated.
acorneau

Re: Mastering a Red Dot Sight

Post by acorneau »

Red dots and other holographic sights are notorious for having parallax issues. Some are better than others but most are wildly inconsistent based on where the emitter is located in the housing.

Unfortunately I don't have a good answer for you on how to overcome the problems inherent to red dots. Consider digging into the specifications of each brand/model and see if you can get the one with the least parallax.

Good luck.

Edit to add: here's a good article on the testing of red dot parallax. The gist is most have anywhere between 3 and 10 MOA deviation with some more than 15 MOA. Only a couple versions of EOTech sights were sub-2 MOA (around 1.6 to 1.7 MOA).

https://www.greeneyetactical.com/2017/0 ... -parallax/

Obviously not a comprehensive list but definitely an eye-opener.
------
Allen Corneau
wasatch

Re: Mastering a Red Dot Sight

Post by wasatch »

I'm not sure if this answers your question or not...
Using a silver sharpie I made marks on the frame surrounding the window of my FastFire III red dot. The marks are centered vertically on either side of the frame and centered L/R on the top of the frame. Then when I'm sighting my LP50 i try to draw down while keeping the dot aligned with the mark on the top of the frame and stopping when the dot is aligned with the marks on the sides of the frame.