Expected accuracy of a Red Ryder?

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Stefan

Expected accuracy of a Red Ryder?

Post by Stefan »

What kind of group size should I expect from a Daisy Red Ryder BB gun? And does enyone know what purpose these guns are supposed to serve and what business philosophy motivates Daisy?
Before you think that I came to the entirely wrong bulletin board, let me mention that I normally shoot a FWB 603. The reason for the question is that my kids have reached the age when I wanted to introduce them to the fun of the shooting sports. I have been told by other people that Red Ryders used to be amasingly accurate, although I have never been quoted a group size in inches or mm. Only specific trick shots that could be performed - but which may have become more amazing as the shooter aged and memory blurred. Nevertheless, I recently bought a new Red Ryder for $30 at the local sporting goods store but became extremely disappointed with the accuacy. At 20 ft range I can keep all pellets on a standard 8x11 sheet of paper but that is about it. The gun worked as a tool for teaching a kid the stance and grip of a rifle but beyond that it is completely useless. It seems to be deliberately designed to give kids a distaste for shooting, since they obviously can not hone the most basic skills on this product, or experience the satisfaction of hitting a target other than by pure luck. The loss of $30 is a minor thing and I subsequently bought a Walther 1894 CO2 rifle that does what I wanted (except for the heavier weight, which still is a bit of a problem for my daughter). ( and yes, I know that you get what you pay for). However, I am still curious if someone understands what has happened with Daisy and the Red Ryder, or even if someone knows how to fix the gun I got. What other air guns do people use to teach kids to shoot with?
svensssson-at-yahoo.com.44622.0
Charles

Re: Expected accuracy of a Red Ryder?

Post by Charles »

: What kind of group size should I expect from a Daisy Red Ryder BB gun? And does enyone know what purpose these guns are supposed to serve and what business philosophy motivates Daisy?
: Before you think that I came to the entirely wrong bulletin board, let me mention that I normally shoot a FWB 603. The reason for the question is that my kids have reached the age when I wanted to introduce them to the fun of the shooting sports. I have been told by other people that Red Ryders used to be amasingly accurate, although I have never been quoted a group size in inches or mm. Only specific trick shots that could be performed - but which may have become more amazing as the shooter aged and memory blurred. Nevertheless, I recently bought a new Red Ryder for $30 at the local sporting goods store but became extremely disappointed with the accuacy. At 20 ft range I can keep all pellets on a standard 8x11 sheet of paper but that is about it. The gun worked as a tool for teaching a kid the stance and grip of a rifle but beyond that it is completely useless. It seems to be deliberately designed to give kids a distaste for shooting, since they obviously can not hone the most basic skills on this product, or experience the satisfaction of hitting a target other than by pure luck. The loss of $30 is a minor thing and I subsequently bought a Walther 1894 CO2 rifle that does what I wanted (except for the heavier weight, which still is a bit of a problem for my daughter). ( and yes, I know that you get what you pay for). However, I am still curious if someone understands what has happened with Daisy and the Red Ryder, or even if someone knows how to fix the gun I got. What other air guns do people use to teach kids to shoot with?
I like the light weight single shot IZH-60. It is an easy to cock side lever air rifle with a separate bolt to load the pellet (much less probability of a smashed finger as with break barrel air rifles). The stock is polymer and has adjustable pull length. The rear sight can be set up as a crude but usable peep sight. The trigger has a lot of adjstments and is respectable.
Unfortunately I gave mine to a friends son.
The five shot version is more common these days, though I prefer the single shot version for kids.
If you want a super light weight traditional break barrel spring powered air rifle, it is hard to beat a used Slavia 618 (70's vintage, cheap on the used market, weighs 3 lbs or so).
Charles

crrmeyer-at-yahoo.com.44624.44622
Charles

Another good link on the IZH-60/61

Post by Charles »

Another good link on the IZH-60/61

crrmeyer-at-yahoo.com.44625.44624
pdeal

Daisy

Post by pdeal »

Well if the purpose is to turn kids off of shooting please don't tell my son that because he sure loves shooting it. My girls are 12 and 10 and are shooting p70's. My oldest boy is 7 and wants to come shooting with us all the time. My neighbor gave me a red ryder and I very politely said thanks but inside I was thinking what a piece of crap. Anyway, I have found that for a 7 year old it is the coolest thing in the world. I toss some coke cans out there and let him go at it. If he can't hit it I tell him to move closer. If he hits them too easily then I move him back. All the safety lessons are the same and as you say it gets them going shooting standing. At about age 9 I think an entry level match gun is a good investment and I have found the Tau 200jr or the little daisy avanti valiant. One neat thing about the Tau is that it is easy to put a scope on which makes for fun bug shooting or other itty bitty targets out to about 20 yards.

pdeal-at-mylanlabs.com.44627.44622
bob

Re: Expected accuracy of a Red Ryder?

Post by bob »

: : What kind of group size should I expect from a Daisy Red Ryder BB gun? And does enyone know what purpose these guns are supposed to serve and what business philosophy motivates Daisy?
: : Before you think that I came to the entirely wrong bulletin board, let me mention that I normally shoot a FWB 603. The reason for the question is that my kids have reached the age when I wanted to introduce them to the fun of the shooting sports. I have been told by other people that Red Ryders used to be amasingly accurate, although I have never been quoted a group size in inches or mm. Only specific trick shots that could be performed - but which may have become more amazing as the shooter aged and memory blurred. Nevertheless, I recently bought a new Red Ryder for $30 at the local sporting goods store but became extremely disappointed with the accuacy. At 20 ft range I can keep all pellets on a standard 8x11 sheet of paper but that is about it. The gun worked as a tool for teaching a kid the stance and grip of a rifle but beyond that it is completely useless. It seems to be deliberately designed to give kids a distaste for shooting, since they obviously can not hone the most basic skills on this product, or experience the satisfaction of hitting a target other than by pure luck. The loss of $30 is a minor thing and I subsequently bought a Walther 1894 CO2 rifle that does what I wanted (except for the heavier weight, which still is a bit of a problem for my daughter). ( and yes, I know that you get what you pay for). However, I am still curious if someone understands what has happened with Daisy and the Red Ryder, or even if someone knows how to fix the gun I got. What other air guns do people use to teach kids to shoot with?
: I like the light weight single shot IZH-60. It is an easy to cock side lever air rifle with a separate bolt to load the pellet (much less probability of a smashed finger as with break barrel air rifles). The stock is polymer and has adjustable pull length. The rear sight can be set up as a crude but usable peep sight. The trigger has a lot of adjstments and is respectable.
: Unfortunately I gave mine to a friends son.
: The five shot version is more common these days, though I prefer the single shot version for kids.
: If you want a super light weight traditional break barrel spring powered air rifle, it is hard to beat a used Slavia 618 (70's vintage, cheap on the used market, weighs 3 lbs or so).
: Charles
Use a Model 105 Buck Air Rifle

freedoggy77-at-yahoo.com.46239.44624