Best Match Pellets for Steyr Evo10

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Wodin

Best Match Pellets for Steyr Evo10

Post by Wodin »

Hi All,
What's the current thinking on the best competition pellets for a Steyr Evo10. The proof/test card that came with the pistol was shot using 4.49mm pellets but doesn't say which brand they used. While I know that some pistols like different brands I was hoping that I might be able to cut to the chase and start off testing what others have found to be the best for them.
Thanks in advance,
Wodin
Coolmeester

Re: Best Match Pellets for Steyr Evo10

Post by Coolmeester »

H&N finale match is usually good match with Steyr.
Center-fire pistol
Standard pistol
Rapid fire pistol
Free pistol
Air pistol
Rover

Post by Rover »

Bwaahahahahaaaa!
Coolmeester

Post by Coolmeester »

Rover wrote:Bwaahahahahaaaa!
RWS Basic, right? I think we all have heard that story already...

Someones just wan't to use pellets which actually perform well, try to live with it. Those 3 to 5 extra points does matter in the competition. Even the best pellets need to be tested for grouping to get the best results. So please, shut up, you aren't helping anyone.
Center-fire pistol
Standard pistol
Rapid fire pistol
Free pistol
Air pistol
Ramon OP

Post by Ramon OP »

No brand is better than other for your pistol. You have to find the right batch of pellets for your gun. I recently did so with my Evo 10 and the winner was a surprise https://www.olympicpistol.com/pellet-te ... lgium.html
Ramon
David M

Post by David M »

Every pistol and barrel is different.
You need to do individual testing for your own pistol, but before that
you need to have someway of testing.
Very few air ranges have a built in machine rest for testing and really sand bag
or handheld testing is useless.
When I re-built the Sydney Pistol club range we fitted a rigid mount for a
machine vice to do testing prior to the Olympics.
So unless you are shooting 570+ and going to International competition dont
worry about pellets.
Just buy good quality pellets that are available locally and shoot.
Timberwerks

Post by Timberwerks »

So far mine likes the 4.49 Eley Tenex over the RWS R-10.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Coolmeester wrote:

Someones just wan't to use pellets which actually perform well, try to live with it. Those 3 to 5 extra points does matter in the competition. Even the best pellets need to be tested for grouping to get the best results. So please, shut up, you aren't helping anyone.
I wasn't trying to help him. I was laughing because this subject has been beaten to death here with 100s of posts.

I made no pellet recommendation because, as YOU said, the pellets need to be tested.

So pleases STFU since you aren't offering any useful info.
Coolmeester

Post by Coolmeester »

Rover wrote:
Coolmeester wrote:

I wasn't trying to help him. I was laughing because this subject has been beaten to death here with 100s of posts.

I made no pellet recommendation because, as YOU said, the pellets need to be tested.

So pleases STFU since you aren't offering any useful info.
I was offering just what he asked for, experiences. And you?
Center-fire pistol
Standard pistol
Rapid fire pistol
Free pistol
Air pistol
Rwilson

Post by Rwilson »

It’s the SHOOTER fellas. In a quality gun as this RWS Basics will perform every bit as well as the premium stuff. If you can actually distinguish a material difference out of the rest and on the line, and not just think you can, we’ll see you at Olympic Trials.
With a quality gun in hand it comes down to sight alignment and trigger control.....darn it!
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

So unless you are shooting 570+ and going to International competition dont
worry about pellets.
Just buy good quality pellets that are available locally and shoot.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

Coolmeester wrote:Someones just wan't to use pellets which actually perform well, try to live with it. Those 3 to 5 extra points does matter in the competition. Even the best pellets need to be tested for grouping to get the best results. So please, shut up, you aren't helping anyone.
If you think better pellets will gain you 3 to 5 extra points, I'm afraid you are going to be disappointed.

Doing the math rigorously is rather messy, but basically, the errors introduced by the pellets increase your group from your natural wobble as the square root of the sum of the squares.

Lets say that due to your wobble, you can keep the center of all of your shots just inside the 9 ring, which has a radius of 13.75 mm. Let's also say you got some rather lousy pellets, and they shoot a group 6.5 mm in diameter. That means the radius of the additional error from the pellets is 1 mm.

The radius of the combination will be sqrt(13.75^2 + 1^2) = 13.786 mm. So the radius of your overall group will increase by 0.036 mm, or about 1/4 of a percent. The only decrease in your score compared to perfect pellets will be from the very few pellets that were so close to the 10 ring that the extra error pushed them out. However, there will also be a very similar number of shots that the error pushed IN. Statistically, there will be a tiny bias towards shots falling outside the ten ring, and your scores will drop. I'm guessing you might lose 1 point in every ten matches, but realistically, you will never be able to tell the difference.

If your wobble is reduced to the size of the ten ring, the error introduced by shooting such pellets still wouldn't be enough to push any shots out far enough to score as a nine. Your wobble error radius would increase from 5.75 mm to 5.836 mm, or less than 1/10th of a mm.

Someday I will dust off my math and do the calculations exactly. In the meantime, I will shoot RWS Basics and not worry about it. The vast majority of shooters would be MUCH better served by spending their time working on their trigger control & sight alignment than testing pellets..
Rwilson

Post by Rwilson »

Now THAT’s what I was trying to say!!
Save your money, buy Basics and work on your wobble
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

Are you going to use your pistol for formal (national/international) competitions or informal shooting/practice?.

If it’s the latter, then the “economy pellets” will do just fine.
Rover

Post by Rover »

OK I'll break down and give you the best answer I can (derived from 100s of posts here on TT).

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=52250&hilit=yes
David M

Post by David M »

Ok. you asked for it.....
Qiang Yuan Qlympic pellets from China.
They are 4.49 mm diameter and 0.53 g per pellet . packed on seperate 200 pcs. sheets.
Minimum order is 10'000 pcs.
But you need to get the special ones made for there Olympic team only that are
4.493 mm diameter and have been sorted by Brinell hardness of 38–50 MPa,
and a maxamim oxidation state of −1.1 ​(an amphoteric oxide) with a Shear modulus 5.6 GPa.
So you will have to move to China and join there Olympic team as these are not for sale to the general public and cannot be imported into the United States.
Attachments
olympic-450.jpg
olympic-450.jpg (37 KiB) Viewed 4527 times
Last edited by David M on Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

.....whoooosh !
trev

Post by trev »

David M wrote:Ok. you asked for it.....
Qiang Yuan Qlympic pellets from China.
They are 4.49 mm diameter and 0.53 g per pellet . packed on seperate 200 pcs. sheets.
Minimum order is 10'000 pcs.
But you need to get the special ones made for there Olympic team only that are
4.493 mm diameter and have been sorted by Brinell hardness of 38–50 MPa,
and a maxamim oxidation state of −1.1 ​(an amphoteric oxide) with a Shear modulus 5.6 GPa.
So you will have to move to China and join there Olympic team as these are not for sale to the general public and cannot be imported into the United States.
KH250

Post by KH250 »

Depends what question you are asking. Do I want to go to a national championships and get the score I actually shot and deserve, or do I want to leave it a bit up to chance?
I shot at the Aus National in June and got into the finals because of my x-ring count. I tested my JSB pellets in my LP10. I do not question my result because I have doubts about the pellet I used. The idea that on average I would only shoot 1 or 2 points worse in every ten scores does not cut it.
When I compete I use what works. When I practice I am not so worried.
If you do not want to test my LP10 likes medium JSB, all of the better RWS pellets or H&N. My test target was 4.49 pellets. I use 4.49 and 4.50 size pellets.
Unless you test your LP10 in a suitable mount you will never know what is the very best pellet brand or size for your pistol.
Timberwerks

Post by Timberwerks »

KH250 wrote: Unless you test your LP10 in a suitable mount you will never know what is the very best pellet brand or size for your pistol.
My reply was based on just that, I also used a chronograph. I was just curious about pellet performance vs weight, size etc after reading this article: https://www.tenrings.co.uk/pellet-testing/