ISSF or BullsEye Pistol training locations/clubs in Colorado

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

vash68

ISSF or BullsEye Pistol training locations/clubs in Colorado

Post by vash68 »

I live in south Denver metro area, and after about 30 years of hiatus from the sport (ISSF pistol), I'd like to get back into shooting.
I just dont know where any decent 25 and 50m ranges are located in front range.
I checked out a few ranges close to me, but they all cater to a "family fun" clientele with short ranges 15-20 yards.

I live within 1 hour drive from Co Springs and I drove to Olympic Training center in May 2018 just to hear that the gentleman in charge if olympic pistol club (for adults) has passed away recently and they dont know who I should contact...

I spoke to and left my contact info with a communication Director of usashooting.org.
I emailed to a few persons who's emails are posted on usashooting.org to no avail.
Is ISSF pistol dead in CO?

Entering Bulls Eye club/competition would also be nice, but I can't seem to locate one in South Denver metro.

The following map marks only one Certified Training Center in CO - in Arvada, 1.5 hours drive for me.
I will drive there if I have to, I just can't believe there is only one place in the entire state of CO.
http://www.usashooting.org/library/Yout ... 1May17.pdf

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thank you
Igor
Marc Orvin

Re: ISSF or BullsEye Pistol training locations/clubs in Colo

Post by Marc Orvin »

The Arvada Rifle and Pistol Club you referred to has an international night on Monday nights where various ISSF events are shot. We have turning targets at 25m.

We also have 10m ranges for air pistol.

The OTC has matches that run from about September through usually May. These are PTO's and they have 10m air pistol and 25m sport and rapid fire on Megalink targets.

Those OTC matches are usually posted on the USA Shooting website with contact information for the two guys who have been running this for years. Bud Kucera and Jim Shaver.

I will PM you their contact information later tonight when I get home from the range.

Hope to see you at the matches.
vash68

Post by vash68 »

Thank you Marc!
john bickar

Post by john bickar »

Does Cherry Creek still run bullseye matches?

Byers had occasional matches when I lived there, and then Gunnison, Craig, and Raton a little further afield.

The USAS matches at CSOTC are open (Winter Airgun, selection matches).

Also, how is “South Denver Metro” 1.5 hours from Arvada? I could get to Arvada in < 1.5 hours from Colorado Springs (15 years ago). Please tell me you don’t have California traffic there now....
Marc Orvin

Post by Marc Orvin »

You are right Mr Bickar. It doesn't take 1.5 hours to get from South Denver to Arvada. I live 4 miles from Arvada Rifle and Pistol Club and it takes me about 90 minutes to get from there all the way to the OTC in Colorado Springs and that is with a quick stop in Castle Rock for a fast food breakfast.

However, if you are trying to get to Arvada from Centennial at 4:30 in the afternoon, you may be on the road a while. It isn't CA traffic yet, but South Denver has more than their share of CA transplants who still drive like they are in CA which can cause some traffic issues.
john bickar

Post by john bickar »

Hey, at least I’m one Californian that’s not clogging up your roads!

It’s 15 miles from my workplace to (one of) my range(s) - if I leave at 5PM on a Wednesday (league night), that easily would take an hour, often more.

(Mr. Orvin, you have known me wayyyy too long to be calling me “Mr.”)

Still - yea or nay on matches still being run at Cherry Creek?
vash68

Post by vash68 »

Thank you for the info, I may need to master my google search skills some more using locations you mentioned :)
I was also wondering about ranges around me I could use for training, not just competition events.

Denver is not quite up to Cali traffic yet, but it has gotten much slower in a last 5 years or so with Metro area expanding in almost every direction.

1.5 hr to Arvada was my estimate if I were to leave SE Denver for Arvada around 3-4pm with average traffic and also considering construction on C470 (second year and going?) in South Denver.
Google maps gives me estimate of 1hr 5min with no traffic.

I have just looked up cherry creek range, what I found is at least 2 ranges:
1. Cherry creek state park range - this is mostly an "outdoor family shooting range", although I heard they updated/added a new range (?) in a last few years. I should pay them a visit. No mention of BE events. here.

2. Cherry Creek Gun Club in Denver - this is new to me - http://cherrycreekgunclub.org
They have "Small Bore" on their calendar, need to call them for details.
Doesnt sound like I can simply come in and shoot a gun - must to be a member. Hmm.

john bickar wrote:Does Cherry Creek still run bullseye matches?

Byers had occasional matches when I lived there, and then Gunnison, Craig, and Raton a little further afield.

The USAS matches at CSOTC are open (Winter Airgun, selection matches).

Also, how is “South Denver Metro” 1.5 hours from Arvada? I could get to Arvada in < 1.5 hours from Colorado Springs (15 years ago). Please tell me you don’t have California traffic there now....
john bickar

Post by john bickar »

I meant the latter Cherry Creek Gun Club. They used to have indoor 2700s at (I think) 25 yards. This was 15 or so years ago. I believe that’s where I first made High Master (indoor). There was a good crew of folks there.

A good number of clubs and matches are not “Google-able”. There’s (understandably) a reluctance by many people to be publicly associated with anything related to firearms. As a Californian, I’ve become more risk-averse. I like to have some first-hand evidence that a person can handle a firearm safely in the presence of other people, before opening up any of my clubs or matches to the liability of letting any Jane Doe off the street jeopardize the few ranges we have left. I’ve seen too many ranges close in the past few years. These are the times in which we live.

I would recommend going to the matches at Arvada and CSOTC, and getting to know fellow shooters. You’ll get on a few email lists and start to expand your options by meeting other shooters in person.
Marc Orvin

Post by Marc Orvin »

John - I went to their website and as of April of this year they were shooting a 2700 on the 4th Saturday of the month. I think they stop indoor 2700's at that point and start doing the outdoor matches at Colorado Rifle Club. I used to shoot the 2700's during the winter at Cherry Creek. They never had to worry about me hauling the prize money home, but I kept contributing to the pool.

There are a lot of matches at CRC during the summer.

And John, you are one Californian who is welcome back at any time at any match or just to visit. Miss your great attitude and your display of talent.
Slo cat

Post by Slo cat »

The Cherry Creek Gun Club will have monthly indoor bullseye 2700 matches beginning on Sept. 29th, then on the fourth Saturday of each following month except for Nov. and Dec, where the match is on the second Saturday due to the hollidays. Also the club will have an indoor bullseye league every Monday evening beginning in October and running for 24 weeks. But for ISSF matches, go to the Arvada Rifle and Pistol Club.
vash68

Post by vash68 »

Thank you all for all the info provided!