Best pellet in shilouette shooting (Rifle)

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

tony

Best pellet in shilouette shooting (Rifle)

Post by tony »

What is the best pellet (brand name)in air gun shilouette shooting. thanks
Brian

Re: Best pellet in shilouette shooting (Rifle)

Post by Brian »

The most accurate, in the gun you are using.
You gota test 'em. What may be "best" for one gun may not be for the next.
: What is the best pellet (brand name)in air gun shilouette shooting. thanks

Post by . »

There are not many choices:
Crosman Premiere 10.5, Crosman Premiere 7.9 - these are most commonly used ones. Heavy ones are more suited for FT rifles.
Beeman Kodiak Match (10.6) - better than CP in some guns, worse in others.
Beeman FTS and JSB Exact - alternatives to lightweight CP.
In any case, CP should be the first thing to look at.

DaveA

Post by DaveA »

Exactly, different air rifles like different pellets. Testing ispart of the fun. Generally though, nothing too light or too heavy ( unless you have a very powerful gun) Avoid pointed pellets all togeather. Round nose and or semi wad cutter will give the best performance over all ranges. FSI has pellet samplers that can help you through the process. Not real cheap but you don't have to buy 10 tins of different pellets that way. FWIW, If I had to pick one pellet blindly , it would probobly be the crossman premier. They tend to shoot deciently out of every spring gun I've ever owned.
: The most accurate, in the gun you are using.
: You gota test 'em. What may be "best" for one gun may not be for the next.
: : What is the best pellet (brand name)in air gun shilouette shooting. thanks

EJK

Post by EJK »

The JSB pellets are less costly than Premiers and work very well. They've become almost the universal choice at our club...which is probably one of the most active airgun silhouette clubs in the country.
While the idea that 'comparative testing is necessary' is hard to argue, I've yet to see a good rifle that wouldn't shoot JSBs (or Premiers) at least reasonably well. Keep in mind that, although accurate rifles/ammo are needed, Silhouette is an outdoor game that requires more shooter input than it does that last 'Nth' of accuracy. IOW, unless there's a SIGNIFICANT accuracy difference, go with what delivers the best downrange performance. The ram at 45 yards is tough in the wind. JSB Exact Diabolos do very well. Their one fault is that they aren't yet delivering a heavy pellet (around 10 gr) for the open guns. That is being remedied. (Until it happens, the 8.4 gr version is doing a good job.)

lucho

Post by lucho »

We use Daystate .177 8.44gr pellets. They seem to work the best in most guns, spring and PCP.
You can get them from
http://www.airgunsofarizona.com/

BSJ

Post by BSJ »

I used to use CP's but their quality control dropped. Now I use H & N Barracudas. Which is simi-pointed. Just goes to show. Like we said, nothing is set in stone. :-)
: Exactly, different air rifles like different pellets. Testing ispart of the fun. Generally though, nothing too light or too heavy ( unless you have a very powerful gun) Avoid pointed pellets all togeather. Round nose and or semi wad cutter will give the best performance over all ranges. FSI has pellet samplers that can help you through the process. Not real cheap but you don't have to buy 10 tins of different pellets that way. FWIW, If I had to pick one pellet blindly , it would probobly be the crossman premier. They tend to shoot deciently out of every spring gun I've ever owned.
: : The most accurate, in the gun you are using.
: : You gota test 'em. What may be "best" for one gun may not be for the next.
: : : What is the best pellet (brand name)in air gun shilouette shooting. thanks

d7

Post by d7 »

: We use Daystate .177 8.44gr pellets. They seem to work the best in most guns, spring and PCP.
: You can get them from
: http://www.airgunsofarizona.com/

$8/500?? They had better be good?? JSBs are $3.50/500 in 5000 qty here in DFW. Ok, so I hear the price is going to $4 maybe but it makes me wonder. What are you guys, us guys who don't need 10m one hole accuracy shooting?? Hey, it's call a bargain relative to self propelled ammo but 2x??

Tom F

Post by Tom F »

Who has JSB for $4.00 in DFW?
: $8/500?? They had better be good?? JSBs are $3.50/500 in 5000 qty here in DFW. Ok, so I hear the price is going to $4 maybe but it makes me wonder. What are you guys, us guys who don't need 10m one hole accuracy shooting?? Hey, it's call a bargain relative to self propelled ammo but 2x??

shootingsports-at-ev1.net.44569.44553
CHINO

Post by CHINO »

: The JSB pellets are less costly than Premiers and work very well. They've become almost the universal choice at our club...which is probably one of the most active airgun silhouette clubs in the country.
: While the idea that 'comparative testing is necessary' is hard to argue, I've yet to see a good rifle that wouldn't shoot JSBs (or Premiers) at least reasonably well. Keep in mind that, although accurate rifles/ammo are needed, Silhouette is an outdoor game that requires more shooter input than it does that last 'Nth' of accuracy. IOW, unless there's a SIGNIFICANT accuracy difference, go with what delivers the best downrange performance. The ram at 45 yards is tough in the wind. JSB Exact Diabolos do very well. Their one fault is that they aren't yet delivering a heavy pellet (around 10 gr) for the open guns. That is being remedied. (Until it happens, the 8.4 gr version is doing a good job.)
: