Does it make a great difference?

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Marcel

Does it make a great difference?

Post by Marcel »

I'm completely new in air-pistol (multi-shot) shooting .
So looking for a gun is as hard as shooting for the moment. Can somebody explain me what the difference is between let's say the Beretta FS92 (250,- euro) and a Steyr LP50P(1400 euro)? I mean, if a novice will shoot with both pistols, will there be a great difference? Ok, I know : 'try it for your self' but in clubs they all have those damned expensive pistols and so I can't try a cheap one. Thanks for every answer.
marcel-at-vanbree.be.44488.0
Joe Matusic, MD

Yes!

Post by Joe Matusic, MD »

I have been heavily into airguns for 6-7 years now. I have gleemed a lot from these forums. Describing the differences between a 9mm replica and a 10m work of art can fill an entire book.
I do own both of the guns your asking about (well the Steyr LP5P insead of the LP50P).
To begin with, the guns are meant for 2 different purposes. The LP50P is a precharged air pistol with single hole accuracy at 10 meters, has an excellent grip and sight adjustments and is a 5 shot repeater.
The FS92 is a c02 sporter type gun with 8 shot clips that is mainly meant as a training replica for the real firearm. Now it can certainly be used for plinking cans or firing at targets, but it will be nowhere near as accurate as the Lp50P. The weight, look and trigger pull of the FS92 is a close match to the real gun. The LP50P has a very light trigger and ergonomically designed grips. CO2 can only be fired about 65 degreee F, where PCP can fire at virtually any temperature you will want to fire at. The co2 gun uses caplets, where you will need a pump or scuba adapter to charge the Steyr.
I would start with asking yourself what you want to do with the gun and go from there. Do you want a replica gun, 10m accurate pistol, etc. Next fix your budget. In 10m pistols you can start with the Daisy 7x7 series for under $80, then go to a Gamo copact for about $200, then on to the IZH-46 for $250, then on to the Tau 7 for $400, BRNO B96 5 shot repeater in co2 for $500, FWB 65 used for $300-600, on up to the PCP Morini 163ie, Steyr LP10, FWB P34, FWB c55P on up to $1400. AFter the IZH-46, the guns don't get any more accurate, you get better grips, sights, PCP, ergonomics and workmanship for the extra price.
Hope that helps.

Joe.Matusic-at-Camc.org.44495.44488
Marcel

Re: Yes!

Post by Marcel »

: I would start with asking yourself what you want to do with the gun and go from there.
ok, let's see :
as I want to do rapid fire I need a multishot.
As I have no experience I won't buy an expensive one. Let's say somewhere between 300 and 500 euro.
In winter the temp. is always beneath 65F so I guess I need PCP...
Is there a pistol in the market which match these requirements?
marcel-at-vanbree.be.44497.44495
Joe Matusic, MD

Sort of

Post by Joe Matusic, MD »

The twinmaster series offered on Airguns of Arizona's site (I am sure available in Europe) are about $400-$600 US depending on grips, etc. They are reported of good quality, target or sporter grips, good trigger (buy only single stage due to repeating mechanism from my memory) and are PCP. There is suposedly a PCP version of the BRNO Aeron B96 out or coming out soon in the same price range.
Joe.Matusic-at-Camc.org.44618.44497