Effect of rotating the cheek plate of rifle

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

imsatyam

Effect of rotating the cheek plate of rifle

Post by imsatyam »

I have a feinwerkbau 800X rifle. Since my cheek doesn't sit comfortably on the cheek plate and tends to slip while I am in the process of aiming, I have rotated the cheek piece a bit in the counter-clockwise direction. But, today I read in an article that if the axis of cheek plate is not in line with that of the barrel, it causes unwanted lateral movements in the balance of the shooter.
Can anyone explain the science/logic behind it and hence suggest what should I do with my cheek plate. Can I carry on with the rotated configuration? or there are other possible solutions?
Also, has anyone had problems with cheek plate of 800X and got it replaced with a customised one?
Thanks.
Tim S

Re: Effect of rotating the cheek plate of rifle

Post by Tim S »

Imsatyam,

Yes that's right, an angled cheekpiece can cause lateral errors. The reason is that moving your towards/away from the aperture, moves it sideways too, so it's not centred horizontally.

If the edge of the cheekpiece is straight, and parallel to the barrel, your eye stays centred horizontally if your head moves.

However a straight and parallel cheekpiece doesn't fit all faces, especially if your cheekbone is small at the side.
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

It is not a problem IF you get your cheek in the same position on the cheek-piece every time. Some shooters put tape, or moleskin, on the cheek-piece as a locating aid. I watched one US Olympic athlete actually sand out a small concave divot in the cheek-piece, so the cheek would rest in the same location every time.
imsatyam

Post by imsatyam »

Tim S wrote:Imsatyam,

Yes that's right, an angled cheekpiece can cause lateral errors. The reason is that moving your towards/away from the aperture, moves it sideways too, so it's not centred horizontally.

If the edge of the cheekpiece is straight, and parallel to the barrel, your eye stays centred horizontally if your head moves.

However a straight and parallel cheekpiece doesn't fit all faces, especially if your cheekbone is small at the side.
But if before taking every shot I make sure that the front sight tunnel is in the exact center of aperture, can there be any other problem?
imsatyam

Post by imsatyam »

Pat McCoy wrote:It is not a problem IF you get your cheek in the same position on the cheek-piece every time. Some shooters put tape, or moleskin, on the cheek-piece as a locating aid. I watched one US Olympic athlete actually sand out a small concave divot in the cheek-piece, so the cheek would rest in the same location every time.
I too was thinking about putting a duct tape. Thanks for clarifying
Cumbrian

Post by Cumbrian »

For what it's worth, after much experimentation I have found that I need to slant the cheek piece at an angle of about 15-20 degrees to obtain a comfortable position; otherwise the rear of the cheek piece conflicts with my jaw bone. I have made one with a shallow indent to locate the cheek bone, so I think the position is stable and consistent, though I could be deceiving myself.