Steyr LP50 servicing

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
ForceAwakens

Steyr LP50 servicing

Post by ForceAwakens »

Hi All - I have a Steyr LP50C which I bought about 18 months go. I had recently replaced the grip and noticed some rust on the inside. Do you normally service the pistol yourself or you take it to a servicing center? I am based in Pune, India. Please do advise.
Regards,
Santosh

“Train yourself to let go of everything you fear to lose.” — Yoda
kevinweiho

Re: Steyr LP50 servicing

Post by kevinweiho »

Does the pistol have any problems that need to be serviced or you’re just worried about the rust?

Are you storing the pistol in a dry environment along with a silica gel desiccant pack?
ForceAwakens

Post by ForceAwakens »

kevinweiho wrote:Does the pistol have any problems that need to be serviced or you’re just worried about the rust?

Are you storing the pistol in a dry environment along with a silica gel desiccant pack?
There are no problems with the pistol, I am just worried about the rust and if it will cause bigger issues later. I haven’t used the silica gel packs yet. One of my friends mentioned that sweaty palms (nervousness during shooting) cause moisture that leads to rust - another issue to work on later :-)
Regards,
Santosh

“Train yourself to let go of everything you fear to lose.” — Yoda
Rover

Post by Rover »

Some fine steel wool with oil will remove the rust.

Soap will remove corroding bodily fluids from your hands.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

I have fairly corrosive perspiration, and I've had problems with rust under the edges of the grip in the past. I put a line of "RIG" grease just under the edge of my grips to help seal that area. It's not perfect, but it helps a lot.

Storing everything in a dry environment is even better. I grew up in New Mexico, which is mostly desert & very dry. I had zero problems with rust. I moved to Massachusetts, which gets very humid for much of the year, and all my tools and guns started rusting. I had to wipe down my pistols with a silicone cloth every time I touched them, and store them with desiccant packs. Now that I have a house, I have a dehumidifier in the basement and the problem has largely gone away.
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

ForceAwakens wrote:I am just worried about the rust and if it will cause bigger issues later.
If your grip’s anodized finish has corroded, you’ll need to use a rust inhibiting/neutralizing oil or grease.

I use CorrosionX aviation on the metal surfaces of all my guns and I haven’t had any issues. You might also want to consider using a Golden Rod or Eva-Dry renewable dehumidifier.