Fall selection match

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

USAS

Fall selection match

Post by USAS »

FORT BENNING, Ga. – The first Olympic Pistol Team trials concluded today as the Men’s Air Pistol and Women’s Sport Pistol events came to a close.
However, as this is only the first of two matches held to select the team for the 2004 Olympic Games in Athens, Greece, the two-day match totals will be used for choosing one more national team member and then will carry over and be added onto the athlete’s spring selection scores, held in late April.
The first competition to finish up was the Men’s Air Pistol discipline. Colorado Springs Olympic Training Center resident, Jason Turner, just squeezed by the Fort Benning Army Marksmanship Unit’s Daryl Szarenski. Both Turner (Rochester, N.Y.) and Szarenski (Seale, Ala.) were gold medalists at the 2003 Pan American Games, and both finished this two-day air pistol match with an 1,155. But it was Turner who won today because he had the better score of the most recent rounds, hitting an impressive 585 compared to Szarenski’s 580.
“I didn’t shoot as well as I would have liked to yesterday,” Turner said. “But to turn around and shoot well today helped a lot. I try not to get frustrated, or let a bad score effect my next shot. It is an important lesson that I have had to learn.”
Brian Zins (Quantico, Va.) took third in Men’s Air with a score of 1,151.
In the Women’s Sport Pistol contest, two-time Olympian Elizabeth Callahan (Upper Marlboro, Md.) walked away with the win, putting up a great second-day rapid fire score of 294. Callahan had placed second in Air Pistol earlier in the week, but loves the challenge of this seemingly harder event.
Colorado Springs OTC resident, Rebecca Snyder took second. Snyder, also a two-time Olympian, finished only three points behind Callahan, with a total score of 1,158. Janine Bowman (Dallas, Texas) took third with 1,143.
For more information and a complete list of competitors and results, log on to www.usashooting.org.