Rifle aim spoiled

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

tryer

Rifle aim spoiled

Post by tryer »

Shooting 10 meter air rifle 60 shots on strip cards I noticed something that I had never seen before. My shooting is inconsistent. Sometimes a 10, sometimes a 3. During this competition shoot I saw the problem. IF my aim is on the bull at the instant I pull the trigger, it stays there and I score a 10. IF at the time of pulling the trigger the aim is NOT on the bull, the brain attempts to pull the aim back to the bull and the shot is ruined by overcompensation. As this is not in the conscious arena, what can be done, if anything?
Tim S

Re: Rifle aim spoiled

Post by Tim S »

Have you thought of improving your hold, so the target appears to move less in the foresight? Also work on your Natural Pint of Aim, so you have a better understanding of when you are muscling the sights onto aim.
sandy22

Post by sandy22 »

Tim S wrote:......work on your Natural Pint of Aim,......
Freudian or wot?
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

Over the years I've had best results, with rifle shooters, when they focused on the sight rather than the trigger Allowing the subconscious mind to activate the trigger when everything was ready.

I feel that your focus on the trigger allows the subconscious to move your body when you decide to operate the trigger (just as you have found).

Dry holding to establish your best hold, then moving your shooting platform (body) to center the sights on the bull, is a good tool to get used to holding (even through the time you would normally have fired the shot). Once you get a consistent hoold, add dry firing (or with airguns live firing), and calling every shot before you look at the result.

If this bothers you too much, a "natural pint" might be in order.
j-team

Post by j-team »

Ok, I'm a pistol shooter than dabbles in rifle, for me it helped to go to a bigger frontsight element. That helped me just squeeze through the trigger without being hampered by trying to maintain a perfect sight picture (i.e. shoot within my holding ability which isn't perfect).
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

sandy22 wrote:Freudian or wot?
Not the first time I've done that!
tryer

Post by tryer »

Thanks for the feedback! I have recently started using a 3.8mm front sight on a new Walther Alutec (I used to use 4.5mm on a Feinwerkbau 800). It may be that this is causing the perceived increase in movement of the bull in the sight, and, the difference balance using a new rifle. I have increased the insert to 4.3mm and tightened the pull into the shoulder and grip and experimenting with feet and hip positions to find a durable hold. I will post any results soon. Thanks again for all your help!!