2003 PISTOL FALL SELECTION MATCH

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

USAS

2003 PISTOL FALL SELECTION MATCH

Post by USAS »

FORT BENNING, Ga. – The first Olympic Pistol Team trials concluded today in the Men’s Free Pistol and Women’s 10m Air Pistol events.
Considering this is only the first of two matches held to select the team for the 2004 Olympic Games in Athens Greece, the finals will only count towards earning cash prizes. The two-day match totals, on the other hand, will be used for choosing one more national team member and then will carry over and be added onto the athletes spring scores.
The Women’s Air Pistol discipline was the first to be decided with Rebecca Snyder clutching first, Elizabeth Callahan in second and Melissa McConnell hanging on in third. Cash prizes of $50, $25 and $10 were distributed, respectively, and are determined by the number of entrants.
Snyder, a two-time Olympian from Grand Junction, Colo., finished way ahead of her teammates with a two-day total of 759. Callahan (Upper Marlboro, Md.), also a two-time Olympian, finished 12 points behind with a 747. McConnell (Whitesburg, Ga.), who just finished her first year on the National Team, finished in third with a 744.
In the Men’s 50m Free Pistol contest, the champion was Brian Zins, a first-year National team member from Quantico, Va. Zins won $130 and secured a nice lead on the competition with a score of 1,109. Daryl Szarenski followed with a score of 1,104. A 2000 Olympian and Sergeant First Class with the Army Marksmanship Unit won $65 for second place. John Zurek (Pheonix, Ariz.) followed in third with a score of 1,097 and walked away a winner of $30.
For more information and a complete list of competitors and results, log on to www.usashooting.org.

Bob Riegl

Re: 2003 PISTOL FALL SELECTION MATCH

Post by Bob Riegl »

I guess USAS is getting serious---when they lure the likes of GySgt Brian Zins to the Free Pistol. What a Coup that is---I have never seen a man with nerves of tempered steel, titanium coated. What a pleasant individual and awesome to watch shoot. I am glad the SS class doesn't shoot next to the High Masters like him at Perry. I would be in respiratory distress.
Jack Foley

Post by Jack Foley »

I've been fortunate enough to shoot a couple of firing points away from Brian Zins, three years ago at The Lobster Match NRA Regional in Maine. The only intimidating things are his targets. All of them would be keepers for most of the rest of us. Gunny Sgt. Zins is very pleasant to shoot with, and more than willing to share information about shooting, guns and loads with fellow shooters.

nikonjockey-at-AOL.com.44224.44215
Cecil

Post by Cecil »

: I've been fortunate enough to shoot a couple of firing points away from Brian Zins, three years ago at The Lobster Match NRA Regional in Maine. The only intimidating things are his targets. All of them would be keepers for most of the rest of us. Gunny Sgt. Zins is very pleasant to shoot with, and more than willing to share information about shooting, guns and loads with fellow shooters.

Cecil

Zins Free Pistol

Post by Cecil »

Zins is the only guy I know of with a "roll trigger" on a free pistol. An the trigger weight is enough that he say he was not scared of putting his finger on the trigger and starting the press when he wanted to.
Now I don't know that many free pistol shooters, but he was very excited about it at Perry.