Morini 84E FP

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Jeremy Masters

Morini 84E FP

Post by Jeremy Masters »

Hi guys,
The Morini FP comes standard with a 5mm foresight width and without muzzle compensator.
Should I get the 4mm width foresight as well that I am presenting using on my Hammerli? Will that makes any difference?
Does the compensator in question of any use, going by the fact that it does not come standard with the weapon?
Thanks
JM
LesJ

Re: Morini 84E FP

Post by LesJ »

I went with a smaller front sight. It is personal preference. I did that with my air pistol also. With a wider front sight I couldn't see both sides so I had to shift my eye from sight to sight. Going with a narrower sight eliminated that problem.
The barrel shroud on Morini when fully moved forward exposes screw holes which act like muzzle compensator ( you can tell the difference in muzzle flip and how the pistol recoils between fully forward and rearward position of barrel shroud).
Sometime ago there were posts on the subject of Morini muzzle compensator. General opinion was that it required cleaning after 60 shots or accuracy would suffer. Above the barrel shroud will need to be cleaned whenever you clean your pistol ( in my case after 300 shots).
David M

What a load of .......

Post by David M »

"With a wider front sight I couldn't see both sides so I had to shift my eye from sight to sight. Going with a narrower sight eliminated that problem."
What a load of .......
If you cannot see any light gap with the big foresight fitted, try opening up the rear sight.
Thats why it was made adjustable. Open the sight about 5 clicks.
The size of the foresight will depend on a number of factors, sight radius (adjustable on Morini), shooting lens (power and/or tint), light level and angle, and finally the age of the shooter (us old shooters need a bigger sight to see).
The foresight should appear to be about the same width as the black of the target with about half the sight width of light on each side (apparent 2/1 sight ratio).
Worry about the compensator when you are shooting above 540's and know what you are doing (most of the Morinis at recent World Cups had some sort of compensator fitted), until then just shoot and enjoy the pistol.

SpencerC

Shame you use it as a weapon - try target shooting

Post by SpencerC »

a Morini 84e seems like a lot of pistol to be using as a weapon, a Saturday night special or a baseball bat would probably be much cheaper to buy.
LesJ

Re: What a load of .......

Post by LesJ »

I think you misunderstood my point. Center vision which is very narrow should be centered on front sight without shifting your eye from side to side to check if gaps ( no matter how wide they are) are equal. With wider front sight blade and equal to that gaps on either side ( recommended by Don Nygord) I couldn't see whole sight alignment at the same time. By switching to 4mm for air pistol and ( I believe )4.5mm on free pistol, I was able to adjust gaps that to equal new front sight blade, the whole sight picture became smaller enough for me to be able to see both sides without shifting my eye. It is personal choice, that is why they offer different sizes of front sight blades. Use whatever works for you.
Mako

Post by Mako »

Hey Les .... that's weird ... that you have to shift your eyesight to check sight alignment. Have you ever had your eyes checked ... and had them do a peripheral vision test ... and check for blind spots. My eye doctor does those tests automatically ... perhaps you need to request them ...
You're a very good shooter ... but that type of conscious eye movement would seem to indicate a potential problem ... I'll ask Prof. of Opthmology Tim Wright, good shooter in his own right, what he thinks of this ...
makofoto-at-earthlink.net.44294.44293
LesJ

Post by LesJ »

It is just my opinion, when I am really concentrated I can still see things in my peripheral vision but I guess my brain
doesn't pay that much attention to it. From what I have read it is important in every sport to place "action" in your center vision.
The size of center vision and "attention zone" my not be the same for everyone .
Going with narrower sights, which BTW few years ago were consider to be standard solve my "attention" problem.
P.S.
Good reading on the subject of vision in shooting: " The new position rifle shooting" by B. Pullum & F. Hanenkrat
David M

Sight Picture.......Free picture

Post by David M »

For Free pistol if you are using light gaps equal to the width of the foresight (sight ratio of 3/1) you are too wide. This ratio is more for a Rapidfire pistol.
Try setting you foresight width to the apparent width of the black of the target.
Then adjust the rear sight to give approx 50% of this width either side of the foresight image.
Set your aiming area below the target black so that amount of light either side is equal to the amount of light from the black of the target to the top of the foresight.
This is your sight picture, adjust it every time you shoot to the ambient conditions and your eye will pick it every time.
Mark

Q? for David M.

Post by Mark »

: Worry about the compensator when you are shooting above 540's and know what you are doing (most of the Morinis at recent World Cups had some sort of compensator fitted), until then just shoot and enjoy the pistol.
-------------------
Hi David,
We had chatted on this board a while ago on the subject of the CM84. I've recently recieved mine and have been able to shoot it a little. I'm very impressed at how it recoils straight back, with very little muzzle rise. And that trigger is worth every penny spent on batteries to run it - just gorgeous.
I remain very curious about your "custom" compensator. In speaking with a friend on the Canadian team with (or against) whom you've shot in the past, he mentioned that you're a very talented individual who likely machined your own compensator. Is this the case? I'd love to see a picture or drawing of the compensator as I found your earlier description very intriguing. Likewise, I'd welcome hearing your perception of how its installation on your pistol has effected your shooting (ie reduced group sizes when bench testing, increased ability to "call the shot", etc.).
No, I don't shoot in the 540's (yet! *grin*), but I'm one of those folks that enjoys using technology to its fullest to enhance the shooting experience (otherwise I'd be shooting Free Pistol with a saturday-night special revolver). I'm very impressed with my new CM84, but will likely consider making performance-enhancing modifications to it once I shoot it consistantly enough to measure true performance.
Thanks for any info you might care to share. If you wish to correspond outside this board, please feel free to contact me at markbg@nortelnetworks.com .

Cheers,
Mark.

Francesco

Re: Morini 84E FP

Post by Francesco »

First of all I am very happy you like our pistol. The reason there is no compensator on the pistol is that our compensator is a little heavier than the normal front sight holder and because the distance between the end of the barrel and the compensator is very important and must be fix. for this reason most of the shooters prefer to have the pistol not so heavy in the front and the possibility to move the front sight holder back and forward. This is the reason it is not standard on the pisol.
morini-at-bluewin.ch.44314.44284
David M

G'day Mark

Post by David M »

I will put the design to paper when I have time after our Olympic selections (November/January),I might even make another batch as a few people want them.
The big advantage for me is the ability to use much faster ammo (Federal Match and RWS R100)which performs better in the wind. My home range is on a clifftop on the coast so we cop all the wind.
Also the compensator allows you to call your shots much better as you can watch the foresight throughout the recoil.
The pistol starts to recoil back into your hand and then instead of lifting, it tends to pull forward and the muzzle is stable.
There is no difference in the machine rest with the groups with and without, but the group appears to be better hand shot.
Mark

Re: Morini 84E FP Compensator

Post by Mark »

Hello Mr. Repich,
Firstly, let me say that I LOVE my brand-new CM84E! My first experience firing it last week left me feeling like I could not miss the ten ring. Very impressive!
In your note you state "the distance between the end of the barrel and the compensator is very important and must be fix". When I look at my compensator I realize it can be installed in three different positions; there are three threaded holes to accomodate the screw which attaches the compensator to the barrel. Which position is the best position to use, according to your design and tests? I suspect, because of the weight of the compensator, that you have designed it to work best when it is installed closest to the muzzle (ie the position that provides the shortest overall length of barrel and compensator).
Also, I have a question concerning the test target that comes with the pistol. Are there various kinds of ammunition tested before the "best" results are recorded on the test target, or are the pistols tested only with Lapua Midas L?
Any info you can provide would be appreciated.

Regards,
Mark.

Mark

Thanks, David!

Post by Mark »

G'day to you too, David!
Thanks for the info - you've been most helpful indeed. If you should spark up your machine tools, please crank out a couple of your compensators for a pair of Canucks who'd like to give'em a whirl. Your comment about hot ammo is well taken here - the outdoor range where we practice is adjacent to a 1000m rifle range. Once the wind starts blowing across that wide open space it's pretty near enough to knock you off your feet. Often times it's hard to hold the sights on your own target board, let alone under the black circle of your target!
Best of luck to you in the Olympic Selections. I'm sure you'll enjoy Athens and represent your country well!

Cheers,
Mark.
Francesco

Re: Morini 84E FP Compensator

Post by Francesco »

Than you don't have the compensator I was meaning but you have the standard front sight holder. Lapua Midas gives in our stand the best grouping. We use other ammunition but Lapua gives the best.
morini-at-bluewin.ch.44452.44331