IZH-46 M Trigger screw.

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Amati

IZH-46 M Trigger screw.

Post by Amati »

The trigger screw on my Izzy can not be loosened, a common issue I hear.
I have tried the factory tool, hollow ground screwdrivers, WD 40, Liquid Wrench and heat with the tip of the soldering iron.
Nothing has worked and before I drill it out I want to ask if it is left threaded.

Thanks.
Gwhite

Re: IZH-46 M Trigger screw.

Post by Gwhite »

I don't believe it is left handed, but I can't swear 100%. If you can find some, try soaking it for a couple days in Kroil.

You can also try freezing it to jolt it loose. A quick spray from an upside down can of aerosol "duster" will give it a good thermal shock.
Amati

Post by Amati »

Good advice. Thanks.

OK, the aerosol ^ went first. It was followed by a rod out of copper (high thermal conductivity) in the same diameter as the head of the screw and held tight against the screw while applying a small torch to the rod.

The screw backed out without any effort.
DoctorD

Post by DoctorD »

Hi

If you mean the slotted head screw to adjust the trigger position, I found that pinching the trigger with a pair of long nosed pliers just below the screw whilst unscrewing the screw helped. Got the tip trawling through the IZH46 threads on here.

HTH

Paul
Rover

Post by Rover »

This place is like circumcising elephants; you get some great tips!
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

Gwhite wrote:You can also try freezing it to jolt it loose. A quick spray from an upside down can of aerosol "duster" will give it a good thermal shock.
Here's an aerosol with extreme cooling (Würth Rost Off Ice) I use to release stubborn screws that won't budge.
Attachments
Wurth Rost Off Ice.jpg
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

If you read the fine print, the vast majority of aerosol freeze sprays use exactly the same chemical as the aerosol dusters. The dusters use the gas above the liquid, and the freeze sprays use the liquid by having a siphon tube that goes to the bottom of the can. You get exactly the same effect if you turn a duster upside down, and you can buy the cans of duster all over the place. Freeze spray tends to be more of a specialty item, and often costs a lot more. I buy the duster stuff whenever it goes on sale at the local computer store.
GKU

Post by GKU »

Late response, but I use an auto punch with success on frozen machine screws and bolts.
It will make a indent on the head of the screw, but the screw can be replaced with a new hex one once removed.
Before striking support the back of the impact point on something solid .......
https://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-6580-Auto ... auto+punch
The screw is too small to use an impact drive on it ...... the above works on this similar principle.

~ GKU