Michael Ray

Re: Ans. 1913 or 2021 /1907

Post by Michael Ray »

: All those rifle can be use in 3p. Please give advice. thanks
How experienced are you?
How big are you?
How much do you want to spend?
What have you used in the past?
They are all good choices depending upon your needs.
Geoff Hornseth

Re: Ans. 1912 or 2012 /1907

Post by Geoff Hornseth »

As an active shooter and smallbore coach, I see the important difference as being rifle weight. You should try a heavy rifle, such as a 1913 with the 28 inch heavy barrel, the 1913 or 2013 with the shorter heavy barrel, and also a lighter one such as the womens sport rifle (1912 or 2012) and decide which one you prefer. The 1907 will have the lighter barrel of the 1912/2012, but lack the degree of adjustments on the free rifle that are highly desirable. I suggest you go for the free rifle. I am assuming you are serious about smallbore 3-P competition.
A lot of top level men shooters have switched from the heavier free rifles (1913) with the 28 inch heavy barrels to the shorter heavy weight barrel or to the lighter womens sport rifle (1912). If you are of average height or less, I suggest the lighter rifles instead of the heavy 28 incher.
I had the experience of developing a bad habit of trying to muscle the gun to hold it up during standing. Finally broke the habit by switching to my daughters sport rifle during practice until I sorted out the bad habit. FYI, I am 6-1 height, 195 lbs. I shoot an 1813 with heavy 28 inch barrel. I find it to be slightly heavier than I would now prefer and consequently just barely managable. It took a number of years to arrive at this conclusion. It is easier to add weight to a lighter rifle, if you desire, than to lighten a heavy one.
kads

Post by kads »

: : All those rifle can be use in 3p. Please give advice. thanks
Ray
Im A new shooter,5'5" ht, 150 lbs, my budget is around 2,ooo. As of now i starting my airgun rifle training by my self.Thanks : How experienced are you?
: How big are you?
: How much do you want to spend?
: What have you used in the past?
: They are all good choices depending upon your needs.

ksilver

Post by ksilver »

Hi Geoff
Having read your comments on the heavy/light barrel thing, the obvious follow up question to you, would be; If you started again, with the knowledge you now have which barrel would you choose?
Also, can I ask your thoughts on the lighter barrel, which would obviously have some merits in the standing position and perhaps also in kneeling, but would the lighter weight not be at a slight disadvantage in prone?
kensilver-at-v21.me.uk.44251.44236
Geoff Hornseth

Post by Geoff Hornseth »

If I started over again I would select a lighter barrel than what is on my 1813. I have shot very well in all positions with my daughters sport rifle, which represents (I think) the opposite extreme of what is available, weight-wise, from Anschutz. However, I think it is a bit too light for me. Could add weights.
Another solution that I am investigating is removing about 2 inches from my 1813 barrel. I knew somebody who did this and it seemed just right for me.
By the way, if you do the barrel shortening bit, consider removing it from the breech end. That way you can clean up a well used barrel with a new chamber. The downside is having to re-drill and tap the scope dovetail block holes if you use a barrel mount scope as I do (NRA competition only). That was one reason I choose the 1813 over a later rifle. The later ones do not have scope mounting holes on the barrel.
Anschutz also sells the 20 inch heavy barrel that looks interesting.
A lot of top tier prone shooters are rebarrelling their prone rifles with lighter (sporter weight) barrels, so the answer is pretty evident to that issue. As I recall, Wigger has done the same. That says something.
When my daughter and I were at the 2000 Olympic trials, I noted that a number of the male AMU shooters had switched to the lighter sport (womens) rifle for 3-P. Don't recall about prone.
One thing that may have driven the trend to lighter prone rifles is the proliferation of bloop tubes. They do add weight way out there where the effect is magnified.
I do not have the international rule book in front of me but I believe you can add/subtract weight for kneeling or prone stages. You certainly can do it during NRA 3-P.
Probably the best thing to do would be to go to Camp Perry next year and handle the different weight rifles on commercial row. Try to borrow something to use in the meantime and get some experience.
Bear in mind that weight distribution, not overall weight, is more important. The issue with my 1813 is the muzzle-heavy balance, not the total weight.
pdeal

Post by pdeal »

My experiences pretty much are the same as Geoff's. My prime shooting focus is working with my daughters. Even though I have an outdoor range at home I don't get to shoot smallbore too much. I do get to shoot quite a bit if air rifle because I can shoot at night. I bought a new 1907 because it was a pretty close match to my smallbore rifle. Then I found a good deal on an 1813 so I bought it figuring that I'd keep the 1907 for one of my girls. I also found the 1813 to seem very barrel heavy. I took the barreled action out and put my 1907 barreled action in and it really much better balanced. I suspect that others might be in the situation of getting much more practice time on the air rifle than the smallbore.
Also, In looking at the new anschutz catalog they now use the same cheek piece and butt plate hardware on the 1913 and 1912 as on the 1907. Other than the butt plate and the tapered forearm I don't see a whole lot of difference between the current 1912 and the 1907.
pdeal-at-mylanlabs.com.44264.44254
Michael Ray

Post by Michael Ray »

: Im A new shooter,5'5" ht, 150 lbs, my budget is around 2,ooo. As of now i starting my airgun rifle training by my self.Thanks :
I'd definitely stay away from the bigger ones then. 1907, 1912, or 2012. I'd further suggest the 2012 isn't worth it if you're an adult beginner. So it's down to whether you want a standard rifle stock (same as an air rifle) or sport (free) rifle stock. The former would be easier for you to start on and the newer models are quicker to adjust than the older ones (with the plastic spacers). Of course, you could still choose to pick up an older one to save a few hundred.
Have fun!